What's new

Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992) - questions (1 Viewer)

pitt_norton

Auditioning
Real Name
Tom
Fantastic news! This was a dvd that I avoided getting for a long time in the hope something like this would be released.

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor
Yep, you're right. Great news!

Now let's see if they can keep to the release date. Fall is fast approaching...

Chad E

Stunt Coordinator
^ Not to speak for him, but I think Bo_Darville's protestation is because he was questioning the October release date for Blade Runner, not Bram Stoker's Dracula.

While I haven't heard anything official being announced for the DVD, the hi-def version has been advertised for October... since all the way back in May. (See here, as an example.) It's probably not too much of a stretch to imagine that the DVD version will be released around the same time, assuming the October date for hi-def still stands.

(If there has been DVD date announced, I'm sure someone will be along to correct me shortly! ;) )

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
I just hope that there is a BD and for ONCE, Sony (Columbia) includes all the extras that will be on the DVD.
I have a copy of all the criterion laserdisc supps though and commentary so I could live without it but there's no good excuse NOT to put it on the BD.

(I think the BD is scheduled for the UK already...)

http://www.play.com/DVD/Blu-ray/4-/1...a/Product.html

edit: BD seems confirmed!!!!

http://www.zap-sf.com/ go to coming soon!

COMING SOON / WORKS IN PROGRESS

Bram Stoker’s Dracula (1992) New Enhanced Edition on DVD and Blu-ray Disc (Sony Pictures Home Entertainment)
Francis Coppola
DVD Release: Fall, 2007

interesting tidbit from IMDB...

There were 38 different cuts of the film prior to its release. There are at least eight shots missing from the theatrical, video, and DVD versions. Criterion laserdisc version has extra footage...

I'd love to see these scenes...!

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
As I understand it the SuperBit version is a slightly different longer cut than the standard release. I only have the SuperBit so I can't confirm this but I read that they used a different print of the film for each transfer and that is why one has slightly different editing.

Personally I think this was one of Coppola's best post 1970s films. It was certainly a beauty to look at and he made some very interesting choices. He seemed creatively reinvigorated on this project. The casting bothered me back when it came out and I've never liked Keanu Reeves (he being one of the worst actors of all time and near impossible to endure) but now watching it I find it less troublesome. It still would have been a better film without Reeves but what can you do.

Coppola probably won't be making another horror film so this one does deserve the proper treatment and if there is a "director's cut" this film certainly should have that included on a "special edition."

If this comes out this year it would seem to be a very good year for Mr. Coppola as his new film Youth Without Youth is also due this year and he has already begun work on his next feature Tetro.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
This is great news! An extended (hopefully) cut of Dracula on High Def to boot!
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif
htf_images_smilies_dance.gif
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif

Having owned the original DVD and the (soon-to-go-up-on-Ebay-in preparation-of-the Blu-Ray release) Superbit Edition ( :D ), if there is a difference it's nothing too significant as I've never noticed it.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
If they just make this one long movie about Monica Bellucci as the bride of Dracula in that nearly-nothing outfit, and put it on a BD-50, I'll be happy as a lark :D

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"Well..as a primer, see if you can find "Bram Stoker's Dracula..the Film and the Legend" This book was released a short time before the movie came out and it will show you the script before shooting began."

I have this somewhere at home. Had some nice still photos(including one of all 3 brides standing together) as well great production pics

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member

agreed. I have owned both and the VHS and didn't notice any difference.
I can't wait for this! I do hope they give us a branching option as who knows if this "redux" will be better.
But man, the sets, costumes, color palette on this film if transferred well should be dazzling. That and it's my fave music soundtrack of all time. PCM..? oooh!

The fab book is still available at amazon!

http://www.amazon.com/Bram-Stokers-D...4631217&sr=1-8

And yes, more Monica is always welcome. When I first saw this in the theater and she appeared my jaw dropped. I actually wound up living with a girl who looked ALOT like her and we used to play "Dracula" with the CD on...!

(I know, I know... TMI...)

;)

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer
I like the cover art. I have the Superbit disc but I have a feeling that a newly remastered version will look and sound better. Plus, finally we get some extras.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Chalk me up as another who likes the cover art. At least it's not suffering from the "Big Head" syndrome :D (see original DVD cover of The Patriot)

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I have to admit that I'm not that impressed by the cover art, but it won't stop me from picking this up. An SE of this movie has been one of my most anticipated titles since the advent of DVD.

After, "Ace in the Hole", & "Popeye", this will be my third most anticipated title of the year.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
aargh it's hideous! Looks like someone's been waving a crucifix at Drakoola.

But I'm glad a special edition is finally almost here and it's not as if I'm going to be displaying the dvd cover. Though I may wait and see what the R2 edition looks like. ;)

"I have crossed oceans of time to find you."

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor
Nuts... specs posted but no mention of a new cut of the film. If this came out on DVD again without Coppola doing a definitive version, it would be a huge missed opportunity.

I mean, we didn't need a recut of Apocalypse Now, but we got it. What we need is a recut of Dracula... what gives?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks