What's new

Brain Salad Surgery... What were these guys on??? (1 Viewer)

JimChan

Stunt Coordinator
It's the original, but the DVD is a rip, as the Japanese laser had the entire 85 minute concert, and the DVD cuts it down to just 45 min. for Pictures.
Actually, the full version of PAAE has been released as R2 DVD in Japan some time ago.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
The surround-sound mix on the Brain Salad Surgery DVD-Audio disc sounds great to my ears, but they could have included a discrete stereo track too. It's not just that they left it out, but the package is misleading. It implies that such a stereo track was included. Warner should have gone back and corrected their error, either by changing the packaging (not desirable) or including the stereo track (highly desirable). Unfortunately, they've done neither. :angry:

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Mike, it never occured to me "serious" rock fans disdained ELP...?
It comes from the mentality that excessive (or even any) soloing is useless and doesn't serve the song. ELP is often considered pretentious, bombastic, and precious (well, duh- that's the point!). The whole punk / new wave "back to basics" thing completely changed the way the rock press and pop culture treated rock. This mentality is still with us. Browsing through Rolling With Teen Fads magazine... er, I mean, Rolling Stone magazine, there was a cute little condescending notice of the supposed recent come back of the concept album- as if it were a bad thing. Concept albums are a huge part of rock.

MichaelAW

Second Unit
Someone forgot to tell Poe that concept albums are just now coming back: her Haunted was my favourite CD of 2000.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks