Brain Salad Surgery... What were these guys on???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by mike_decock, Oct 3, 2002.

1. mike_decock

mike_decock Supporting Actor

I finally got around to spinning "Brain Salad Surgery" (picked up a copy on vinyl for $4).

I've always liked "Trilogy", but BSS is just WAY over the top! It's a non-stop, self-indulgent, over-playing mess of notes.

And still, I liked it!

-Mike...

2. Blaine Skerry

Blaine Skerry Second Unit

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

I can see how some people would think that ELP's music was overdone, but I love it. "Tarkus" is great. I love the organ work there. Brain Salad Surgery is a masterpiece. If only Warner had put a discrete stereo track on the DVD-Audio disc. [​IMG] Anyway, one thing I always marvel at with ELP is the sound quality of their recordings. Their recordings are among the best of '70s rock music that I have heard. With "From the Beginning", it sounds like the microphone was right on top of the acoustic guitar. [​IMG] ELP's music is a wonderful experience in every respect. [​IMG]

4. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

While I'll disagree about the good sound quality (I always found their sound too thin for my liking), ELP provide a great, if indulgent, musical experience. BSS is somewhat of a half and halfer for me. Nothing beats Lucky Man or Karn Evil 9, but I could do without Benny the Bouncer.

5. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

It's funny, I love the song Benny The Bouncer along with the rest of the album. Tastes vary.
    I wasn't going to respond to this thread because I saw it as a just another flame bait thread...to be perfectly frank I haven't changed my mind. [​IMG]
    P.S. You can listen to the DVD-Audio version of Brain Salad Surgery in 2-channel high def, but to be honest I don't like the DVD-A version very much because they used quite a few alternate takes not used in the original mix to accomplish this new 5.1 mix. As a long time fan of the band and album I noticed the different vocal tracks right away and was not pleased at all. OATM (Original Album Track Mix) only please.

6. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Kevin, I assume you are referring to a fold-down stereo mix from the 5.1-channel mix. That's not the same as a discrete stereo mix, and in my experience, fold-down stereo mixes don't sound appealing. Just my opinion.

7. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

One of my favorite groups and one of my favorite albums of all time. I must have bought BBS a dozen times over the years. On lp, cassette, cds (including Japanese) and finally the DVDA.
    And what awesome bass on that dvda. This was the first dvda that I bought and I was blown away by the version of Lucky Man that is on there.

The album sounds like it should...a roaring Carnival of sound!

8. mike_decock

9. Stephanie T.

Stephanie T. Stunt Coordinator

Sounds like the overall consensus is, it's a flawed, over-the-top album, but...
    "still, it turned me on". [d&r]
    What, no one will admit to having been intrigued by the H.R. Giger painting on the covers? Very creepy stuff, guys, and especially novel prior to the movie Alien popularized the Swiss artist. He has a pretty decent website, BTW.

10. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    I saw ELP in the 70's do BRAIN SALAD SURGERY live with quadrafonic sound no less. The burn-out ending was at it's best with quads towers to spin around. Todd Rundgren was also touring quadrafonic about the same time, saw that too... Quad recievers and records were trying to cut a share of the market. We all know how that went. ELP's quad speakers were better than Rundgrens. The acoustics are notoriously bad at the place I saw ELP, but with their quad sound was more even around the room. Sonically, it's one of the best concerts I've ever heard. The stage show was nice too. Keith Emerson strapped on his seat belt and continued to play while being spun around in circles rather briskly. Greg Lake was good too. He was so versatile with the bass and guitar. He was a way above average singer to my tastes anyway. It must have been expensive to move ELP's stuff. It must of taken a half dozen or more trucks to move the stuff they had, an elaborate stage and those four huge towers. [​IMG]
    NP- Stones Singles Collection disc 1, SACD.

11. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Stephanie, I love the album cover to Brain Salad Surgery. Very cool. The remastered CD with the "animated" cover is a trip, especially. [​IMG]

12. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Rachael, I agree- Lake is one of my favorite singers. It's too bad his career suffered with the downfall of prog.
    Some of my favorite Lake performances are with Crimson, before ELP, where he was so full of energy- you know, that whole starting-out rock singer thing.
    I freakin' love ELP. They're one of those bands I am proud to declare my favor for (along with early Genesis, Rush, and Marillion) and be ostracised by "serious" rock fans for.
    I actually once met this chick who said something like, "Just don't tell me you listen to ELP." [​IMG]
    The DVD-A is just oodles of fun. Crank that mother up, man, scare your landlord.
    The computer talking bit at the end is where it breaks the limit of absurdity. "Concept" art rock songs- gotta love 'em.

13. Marc H

Marc H Second Unit

If ever you come across a used copy of Pictures at an Exhibition, I'd say grab it too. It's a live recording but is fantastic. Woofer blowing bass. That's the album that originally turned me on to ELP in '72.
    Seen them live tons of times, including the Works tour in Quad sound at the Olympic Staduim in Montreal.
    Last saw them live here in Ottawa, about ten years ago at the Congress centre which is a smaller more intmate setting. Sound was awesome. Keith got up on top of the Hammond and was stabbing it with a knife just like in the 70's.
    I'm sad though their newer stuff just plain sucks. Ever since Love Beach.

14. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

15. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

I've also seen a DVD of Pictures At an Exhibition. Is this a new performance or (I hope) the original?

16. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Supporting Actor

17. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

Oh, I agree with you. It's only that I feel the re-mix has many more problems then just the way the stereo down mix sounds, but that's just my opinion and for the record I think the 5.1 mix in itself is pretty good in some spots (Lucky Man is wonderful) but the differences from the original just stand out so much to my ears that it ruins the experience for me in the end.
    Didn't they do this same alternate tracks thing with the DVD-A Alice Cooper: Welcome to my Nightmare?
    By the way Mike Decock, you're right, it just came across to me at first glance as a "Hey all you ELP fan's! They Suck!" type of thread, but it wasn't and your opening post even said that you liked the album.

18. mike_decock

19. MichaelAW

MichaelAW Second Unit

A while ago, a girl I know online was trolling for new music to check out. (She's mostly into indie/emo/punk type music.)

For shits and giggles, I suggested she check out all 30 minutes of Karn Evil 9, and she did.

She liked it.

Anyway... the album is great, KE9 is great, and everything they did after that (except Fanfare for the Common Man on Works) is not great.

20. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Mike, it never occured to me "serious" rock fans disdained ELP...?[​IMG] They sure didn't back in the 70's and I think people really liked them for sounding different. Then there's the subset of people who dislike them for sounding different...
    I liked alot of "different" music back then myself. ELP, King Crimson, Yes, Stwabs, Sugarloaf, The Flock, are some of the different sounding stuff I liked back then. I even listened to Keith Emerson's old group The Nice.
    Mike, I never get tired of the first 2 King Crimson albums because Lake was such a perfect singer for that group. I wish he'd done another album or two with Fripp.
    I have the DVD-A and enjoyed it but I have not played it in awhile since I don't have DVD-A hooked up rigt now. It's not fresh on my mind...Best wishes!