What's new

Brahma Anyone!!!! (1 Viewer)

rich r

Stunt Coordinator
Has anyone considered or designed anything for Adire's new Maelstrom 18" I am considering this sub over the tempest due to it high effiency and low end response.

Would this sub be suitable for a 50/50 HT/Music setup!!

I am concerned with the lack of tight bass this sub might be able to produce??

In this fourm I have only seen one person as of yet to build anything with the Maelstrom

My system consists of :: Denon AVr-1801

Paradigm monitor 9's V1

Paradigm Ps-1200

Audax center channel

Audax surounds

Craig Woodhall

Supporting Actor
Rich,

I was considering using the Maelstrom but even Adireaudio told me it wasn't totally geared towards HT.. I think it is more of a driver for a nightclub speaker or something like that.. Tempest goes deeper.. YOu might want to wait for the new drivers Adire has coming out..

Craig Woodhall

Supporting Actor
Rich,

they are designing a new driver with double the throw of the other drivers (tempest/shiva/maelstrom). I think the brahma is more designed for car audio. The new drivers are the equivalent of the Brahma but are for HT and don't rely so much on cabin gain. I think Dan W said they will be about $300 for the 15".. it will perform as good or better than 2 tempests in 1/2 the enclosure volume.. I think Dan said around 6 cubic ft tuned to 17 or 18hz will kick serious a**.. the preorder, apparently will start next month.. Im in for 2 of them to replace my tempest. hope this helps Rich.

Craig

Angelo_Petralba

Second Unit
Real Name
Angelo
I think the new Brahma could do the job in a SMALLER box. But I think the TEMPEST is MUCH better for this duty and it is less than HALF the price of the Brahma.

I have a Tempest Sonosub (210 Liters) tuned to 16 Hz with dual 3inch flared ports and this thing REALLY REALLY ROCKS for BOTH HT and Music. It could get tighter sound for music but not that much and since i do 70/30 (HT/Music) then it works very well for my application.

Good Luck.

Angelo

Angelo_Petralba

Second Unit
Real Name
Angelo
Craig-
Is this the Driver they were discussing on the "Perfect Sub" thread? if so, then this thing will be just like they said " PERFECT"! The Supreme Being of ALL subs !:D :D :D

Kyle Richardson

Screenwriter
I just completed my Maelstrom this weekend (finally) and have only done subjective tests on it. I have it in 275 liters tuned to 22Hz powered with 350 watts and it is LOUD. This driver is actually really good with music, although, that is not what I designed it for, I designed it for punch for home theater and that is what I have. My Tempest in 225L would go a bit lower but the Maelstrom goes louder.
With that being said, I will probably build another sub using the upcoming 15" driver discussed in the "perfect subwoofer driver thread". I need to build a smaller sub that I can possible move to a different listening position in my room because where my current sub sits I have a rather large null in my listening area. Even though I keep getting bigger and louder subs I don't increase my SPL much at my listening area.
Don't get me wrong, the Maelstrom is an awesome sub and can shake my whole house when playing Bass Mekanik! I had stuff falling off of the shelves in the next room to the disgust of my wife....:)

Kyle Richardson

Screenwriter
Jeffrey, I would estimate a preorder to begin around the first of June.

Mike, I'll tell you what, the Tempest is a very tough driver to beat for the money and power requirements. The biggest advantage this new driver has over the Tempest is almost the output of 2 Tempests in about half the size needed for those 2 Tempests. It will also sound a little cleaner because of the new XBL^2 motor, although I can't say for sure since I havent heard it yet.

In all honesty, if you can live with the size and second dual Tempest sub I would go that route since you have already purchased the first two Tempests.

Mike Strassburg

Second Unit
Kyle,
Thanks for the feedback. I pretty much figured it was as you stated, but needed to hear a second (and more educated) opinion then my own... :)
Looks like I'll be building the "twin towers of power" in the future. No room for a 2nd in my current room.

rich r

Stunt Coordinator
Kyle,

Thanks for the Reply!! That is exactly the answer i was looking for. As for building a Maelstrom, I think im going to put this idea on hold until Adire releases this new driver

thanks

Rich

A

Anthony_Gomez

The 15" was all that was planned...but when the 15" gets out, and if it starts making some good sales...and a 12" version is requested as well...never know.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks