What's new

Brady Bunch: The Complete Series coming (1 Viewer)

AnnaMaria

Stunt Coordinator
The extra disc is filled with stuff that I'm hoping they'll release later in season sets anyway. So I'm not overly concerned.

I think it's too bad they didn't put extra's on the season sets in the first place. Aside from a couple of commentary's in the first season they didn't do anything.

So now it's time to see The Brady Kids, The Brady Brides, The Variety Show and The Brady's.

Larry.P

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, hopefully we will get full sets of the follow-on Brady shows. I don't think the variety hour is in Paramount's court, since it was a Krofft production. I think Rhino still has dibs on that. Only 2 episode have been released, there may be music issues with the rest. I would absolutely LOVE The Brady Kids to be released as a full set. Again I am a little concerned about the music, since they sang in every episode. I can't think of any issues that would prevent The Brady Girls Get Married/Brady Brides, and The Bradys from being released. I think this will all happen eventually considering the enduring popularity of everything Brady.

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
I didn't buy these sets and may get the complete series but I can definitely see why this would piss people off. Personally, about the only extra here that interests me would be the animated series (why is it that outside of Star Trek, companies won't release season sets of cartoon spin-offs and only include a handful of select episodes with a release?) but it's still pretty lame on Paramount's part.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
The only extras I ever really wanted were cast commentaries. If they had managed a few dozen of those--and maybe dragged in more of the Bradys for them--I would have double dipped for dang sure.

jacktripper1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jacob
I am selling what I have of the Brady Bunch on ebay and then I'm going to buy the complete series for the extra extras. I've wanted that CHristmas movie for 5 years and I plan on gettin it.

Matt.Koz

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt Kozlowski
I'll wait for Paramount to release A Very Brady Christmas as a standalone at Christmas time which I'm sure they'll do...just to tick even more people off who double-dipped for it.

jacktripper1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jacob
Hey that's true but I still want the other stuff on the extra disc. I wish they would just release that dvd individually.

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
I'm definitely getting this as well. I do however feel for those who bought the sets individually. Fortunately for me however, I never did. So this will be a welcome purchase. What sealed the deal for me though is when I read that "A Very Brady Christmas" would be included. That one's an annual favorite in my household, so it will be great to get rid of my now worn VHS. It'll also be cool to see "The Bradys" pilot again. I vaguely remember watching the short-lived show when it originally aired. As for "The Brady Kids" cartoons, I've never seen those, so that's another reason to look forward to it.

Anyway, I agree that those who own the existing sets should be entitled to recieve the bonus disc upon providing proof of purchase.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Another episode glitch involves "Getting Davy Jones." The scene with Marcia and Jan, after Marcia has called the hotel has a nasty jump cut. In previous versions and on TVLAND, the shot has a bit of damage, but certainly nothing that needed fixed. It looks as if they removed the offending frames, or froze the last good one, resulting in the weird jump.

Jack Platt

Stunt Coordinator
In my view,

I don't like "double-dipping." Even if the minor edits are fixed from the individual season releases, there is resentment about something that should have been fixed when the DVD's were first burned from the master-tapes and back-up prints for negatives that could no longer be found. And if the small edits are NOT fixed, Brady Bunch fans are getting ripped off, big time!

So the question for the forum is:

Do you think this new Complete Series box set will have the minor edits fixed, or will it be the same material as the individual seasons with only the new bonus material?

Jack

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
It will definitely be the same discs as before. Just to maximize their profit, they're going to reuse the same discs (maybe with a different image printed on it though) and they're including the bonus disc just to get hardcore fans to rebuy it.

Firebee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan

I think this is an excellent suggestion - that those of us who bought the series season by season should have an opportunity to buy it without having to spring for the whole series yet again. I'm not furious with Paramount, just a bit disappointed that they offer this disc to entice buyers of the series set.

Brandy681

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brandy
I am sorry if this is allready posted but have you seen the complete set of "Brady Bunch" that is being released for only $99.69, included will be a cool box with a shag carpet and all 5 seasons! This set is available on Amazon and various websites for pre-order and is about $50 bucks cheaper than buying the other complete set!!!!

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
Has anybody seen this boxed set yet? This set comes out April 3rd. I think originally it was supposed to come out a week earlier. I got a shipping notice a few days ago from DVD Planet, but it hasn't arrived yet.

I just saw an online advertisement for the complete dvd set. The shag carpet box flips open to reveal the inside. Here's a screen cap I made. I thought they were just going to take the existing boxes and put them in a shag carpet box. It looks like they created something new. I sold all my individual box sets to get this complete series, but now I wonder if I did the right thing. I'm sure I'll like the bonus disc, but I'll miss the individual 3D lecticular box covers if they're not included.

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
I found a review on Amazon regarding the packaging -- and it's not good...

On the plus(?) side, the set sounds like it will be more compact, and will take up less shelf space, plus the bonus disc. I will miss the 3D covers on the individual season sets, though.

Reminds me of the Twilight Zone Definitive Complete Collection packaging fiasco (which I also have -- but have learned to live with.)

A Fun Idea For Packaging That Went Horribly Wrong Somewhere..., March 31, 2007
Reviewer: Michael J. Wagner - See all my reviews
[(REAL NAME)]
Brady fans rejoice! The entire series, all 5 seasons, of The Brady Bunch is finally available in one compact, shag-a-riffic DVD Collector Set.

Let me start off with a word of warning for anyone who has purchased any of the individual season sets: The first 20 discs that comprise all 5 seasons are the exact same discs that you will find inside the individual season sets; Same disc art, same previews, same discs period. The 21st disc, however, is the all-new "exclusive to this set" DVD of special features. On this disc, you'll find the movies "The Brady 500" (the pilot for the series "The Bradys") and "A Very Brady Christmas" in addition to a 2-part episode of "The Brady Kids" cartoon. "The Brady 500" runs 88 minutes, "A Very Brady Christmas" runs 94 minutes and each cartoon runs a little over 21 minutes. All together they total 3 hours 45 minutes of Brady wonderment, not available anywhere else. For the closing logo enthusiasts out there, you will be saddened to know that the original closing logos on both movies have been replaced by the current CBS Paramount logo. The cartoons do have their original Filmation and Paramount logos though, followed by the current CBS Paramount logo.

Now, the packaging... The Complete Series comes in a thin, clear outer box, with a small hole on the front so you can feel a bit of the "shag carpet" covering 3 sides of the inner, more sturdy box. Once you remove the clear outer shell, you'll find that the inner "shag" box opens like a cigar box. The inside flap houses a booklet that slides in from the top. This booklet serves the same purpose that the slim cases for the individual seasons do, to list which episodes are on which discs. Everything is great up to this point, until you see how the discs themselves are packaged. All 21 discs are housed in what can only be described as an "expandable/collapsable file folder" style sleeve, which is held in place with a clear plastic lid (same material as the outer box). Basically, the disc holders are 21 small, flimsy "card stock" sleeves, glued together at the bottoms. Unfortunately, the glue used to hold these together is a very soft, gummy glue that left a sticky residue on a handful of my discs. Even worse, by housing the discs in sleeves, half of my discs arrived with light to medium scratches on them.

On the individual season sets, Paramount uses 2 slim cases, each holding 2 discs. Since the episode discs are the same in this set as in the individual seasons, I almost feel that it's better to get them that way. But, individual seasons means no "special features" disc. Plus, this complete series set does come at quite the savings compared to purchasing the seasons individually.

So, the question you need to ask yourself is "How big of a Brady fan am I?" Is the extra disc worth 20 other possibly scratched, sticky discs? If you are a completist or collector, the answer should be a definite yes! If you're a casual fan who owns any or all of the individual sets, it might be a firm maybe.

But, as for me, I'm glad I bought it.

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
Thanks for the review, but I'll be sticking with my season sets. If Paramount would like to release 'A Very Brady Christmas' or 'The Bradys' seperately, I'd be happy to purchase...but for now, I'll be content with what I got.

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
Saw in Sunday's supplement that Target has this for sale for $89.00. Cheaper than most online stores, but that's before taxes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks