Brady Bunch S3 - Slightly Edited

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by JohnMor, Sep 13, 2005.

1. JohnMor

JohnMor Producer

John Moreland
    Not a big deal to me, but I thought I'd post the info in case it matters to someone else. I know some people won't buy if there are any edits from the original broadcast versions.

The 3 Grand Canyon episodes are slightly edited in that they have cut off the cast boxes filling the screen at the end of Act 2 on each of the episodes. They just do a quick fade-to-black, even cutting off the music cues. Weird.

They do include the end credits voice-over telling people to watch the next installment "next week at this same time."

2. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    I wonder if that's so a Play All will make it into one long episode. I would rather they didn't, but I don't regret my purchase.

3. JohnMor

JohnMor Producer

John Moreland

No, because I used the "Play All" to watch the first disc, and each of the 3 GC episodes had opening & closing credits. I certainly don't regret my purchase, either. Just thought I'd let people know. It just seemed a little odd, especially as all the others eps have the commercial break fade-out footage intact. Oh well, go figure...

4. ScottR

ScottR Cinematographer

It does matter to me, as this is my favorite show.....Why, Paramount...you were doing such a great job!

5. Shawn_Sm

Shawn_Sm Stunt Coordinator

Seriously? Get real.

6. ScottR

ScottR Cinematographer

Excuse me? Get real? Who are you to tell me what is important to me.

7. Shawn_Sm

Shawn_Sm Stunt Coordinator

You have the right to say that just as I have the right to say you're being unreasonable. Cut scenes? Of course, don't buy it. Cut cast boxes? That's really upsetting to you?

8. ScottR

ScottR Cinematographer

Yep...especially on classic episodes....I want the show as closely to the original as possible, and missing music and any footage is a concern to me.

9. Greg_S_H

Greg
    John, are you sure the cast boxes existed on these episodes? I watched the first part, and it played about like I remember it. It doesn't seem like the cast boxes would really fit in with these episodes, since they usually signal a resolution with only the tag scene following to wrap things up. Here, things are more "serious," and it wouldn't really fit to have the happy Brady Bunch resolution music. Jumping ahead to the third episode, there still wasn't a traditional "back home" tag scene, so again, the boxes might not fit in. I will admit that the fade is really quick, but it just doesn't seem that Carol would send Mike and Peter off all worried, and then we jump to the happy music.

I know some people get mad when others question a cut, so I want to say I'm just asking the question here. I don't have tapes of the original broadcast, and my memory of even the syndication episodes is imperfect.

10. ScottR

ScottR Cinematographer

Greg, I thought the same thing...but from what I remember of the Hawaii episodes, it shows the boxes without the music...unless I am wrong.
    And describe, if you will, the music..does it sound like it is cutting off abruptly, or naturally?

11. Greg_S_H

Greg
    A harmonica plays four notes of the Brady theme (the notes would correspond, for example, to "Here's the story"), and as Carol kisses Peter and says, "And you be careful," it goes black and then opens up with the tag scene. The tag scene features a harmonica playing a western theme, and it blends pretty well with the four notes from the previous scene. I think those four notes are all there was to that scene, so if any music is missing, you can't really tell from what's there. It is a little abrupt how it goes black as Carol is kissing Peter, but the music doesn't seem to cut off.

12. JohnMor

JohnMor Producer

John Moreland
    Greg_S_H: Yes, the boxes were there originally, along with much longer, more dramatic music cues. I had both BB & Bewitched episodes on both audio tape since the early-70s and video since 1981, and the footage was there. In fact, silly as it sounds, the fade-out of "Ghost Town, U.S.A." after Carol tells Peter to be careful was my favorite of the entire series. Great long dramatic music cue. I loved it when I was a kid, specifically because it was so different and serious for that series. Ok, I guess have to admit it now: I am a geek![​IMG]

Haven't watched the eps in syndication in years to see if they're cut now also.

13. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

Well, you could hardly deny it, now could you? [​IMG]

Just messin' with ya.

Jon

14. ScottR

ScottR Cinematographer

Some things don't make sense:

1. Aren't these taken from the original masters? Paramount has gone to great lengths to restore even fractions of seconds. It seems odd they would neglect that on three of the series most popular episodes.

2. If it was a goof, why did it happen three times?

...you don't think it's a music rights issue, possibly?

3. Wouldn't someone have noticed this?

15. ScottR

ScottR Cinematographer

I just called Paramount..I was told the lady who handles concerns and complaints is out this week, but was transferred to her voice mail. I left a detailed message.

16. Ron Lee Green

Ron Lee Green Supporting Actor

I have the syndicated episode on video which I taped off of Nick at Nite years ago. I got curious from reading everyone's post, so I watched my tape--and the same thing happens! There is a quick fade out after Carol tells Peter to be careful and kisses him. Cut to commercial--no boxes.

17. ScottR

ScottR Cinematographer

Thanks Ron!
    p.s. does the music end with just the few notes "here's a story"?

18. Greg_S_H

Greg

I'm positive it wouldn't be music rights. I think the best guess would be that the boxes were cut out of the syndication print a long time ago, and Paramount couldn't track down a print that included them, or maybe their master print was too damaged.

19. Jefferson

Jefferson Supporting Actor

I have found in my years here at HTF that we are collectors, for the most part...completists if you will.

What may seem trivial to a casual viewer, *is* important to the collector.
    I was disgusted that the BEWITCHED dvds did not include
    the correct opening credits sequence for season one...they used the season 3 version, which has slightly different animation.

It is a big deal to a collector and a completist,
    as would be *anything* missing from a dvd set of classic shows.
    There are often explainable reasons why certain things must be edited for these sets,
    i just wish we knew the reasons.

20. ScottR

ScottR Cinematographer

The reasons I don't think it was cut for syndication are:

1. Why would the boxes be cut? The boxes weren't cut for other episodes. Seems a trivial thing to cut.

2. All three episodes are missing the boxes. If materials couldn't be found in good enough shape for one, it would make sense...but all three?

3. Plus, I would think the music would be intact, over a black screen at least.

....just doesn't make sense.