What's new

"Brady Bunch" DVDs: Will There Be a Cast Commentary? (1 Viewer)

Joey Gunz

Second Unit
Many of us grew up watching this series and since it's scheduled to be released on DVD in 2005, I think it would be great if Paramount got the cast together to record a commentary track for each episode. Has Paramount mentioned anything about that or any other extras that the "Brady Bunch" DVDs may include?

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
Judging from other Paramount releases that are like it, probably not. And definitely not on every episode.

David Galindo

Screenwriter
Really? Why not? It seems like they get together every two months and reminisce about it anyways.

I would be really surprised if they didnt record at least 6 commentaries. But I dont know studios very well, I guess :frowning:

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor
Was Paramount involved in the most recent reunion special? It seems to me that would have been a convenient time to make DVD extras at very little added cost. I can only hope that this release will mark the end of Paramount's lamentable no-extras policy on their TV DVDs. They have started added more special features to their movie releases.

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
According to www.bradyworld.com:

"We have learned that Barry, Chris, Mike and Susan have done interviews for extras."

I wouldn't hold my breath, though, waiting for word on participation from Eve Plumb or Maureen McCormick.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve

Not holding out for Robert Reed either. :D

Actually his estate seems to have withheld his likeness from any Brady related merchandise so I doubt any Reed related material would show up anyway.

David Galindo does raise a very good point. Has there been any show that has been more "reunioned" to excess than the Bradys? Between variety specials, spinoffs, documentaries, books et al would there be anything new to add after all this time?

Steve

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

Nor would I.

I think its important to keep things in perspective. People are hoping that the Brady Bunch gets a Simpsons like amount of bonus material..commentaries on every episode...featurettes...and so on and so forth.

Sure this show is popular, but I don't see the Brady Bunch outselling season 1 of M*A*S*H anytime soon. Yeah, a lot of reunion specials and the like have been produced already and while that might mean that Paramount wouldn't have to pay for the creation of new extras, these types of things might mean an extra disc or 1 more than they had intended which means an adjustment sales expectations and on down the line.

If the Brady Bunch gets any extras, especially if they are newly created for the DVD, everyone should be very happy because most classic television is not as fortunate...so think of that if say you get one audio commentary perhaps on the pilot, and be happy for that and not sad that they didn't record a commentary for every episode.

I also wonder if the fact that Paramount intends to bring out a few seasons next year is some kind of hint as to what we might get as for content. I don't know but it seems to me like a rapid release schedule would point to less if any bonus material and definitely less bonus material. Recording commentary tracks and interviews takes a lot of time...so unless they're working seasons ahead and are already working on say season 3 when season 1 hasn't even been announced yet...chances are that a fair amount of any bonus material would be stuff they already had around.

But, again given what Paramount has done or is doing with Taxi, Happy Days, Mork and Mindy, Laverne and Sherley, the Andy Griffith Show, etc. it would be easier for me to be happy with any bonus material than it would be for me to complain that there wasn't enough.

Claude North

Second Unit
I recall a BRADY BUNCH special that aired on, I believe, Fox. It was a typical behind-the-scenes special, but the absolutely bizarre thing about it was that in all the film clips from the series, Maureen McCormick's face was blurred in the same way news broadcasts blur the faces of people who wish to remain anonymous.

Would it be possible for a BRADY cast member, or a member of the cast of any series (or film, for that matter), to demand his or her face to be blurred on DVD releases? Do studios need to obtain permission of all on-screen talent when preparing a release in a new format?

The Maureen McCormick thing was especially bizarre considering that she participated in reunion shows before and after the Fox special.

Joey Gunz

Second Unit

LOL. That's pretty weird. I guess Maureen (and Eve Plumb) has a love/hate relationship with the show. There are times when the 2 of 'em act like they want nothing to do with the "Brady Bunch". Then there are times when they're ok with it. I guess it's understandable. On the one hand, the show made them famous. But on the other hand, it typecasted them and hindered their careers. The other (now grown) kids seem to have accepted it and remember the show more fondly.

Mark Lx

Second Unit
As Sherwood did one on Gilligan (not a great commentary, but interesting), he'd probably be willing to do one. He could tell his stories from the documentary, like how he had 3 blonds and brunettes for each sex chosen and he thought the Bobby kid was the best actor and dyed his hair.

But, as was said, different company with a no commentary policy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.