What's new

BRAC got me. (1 Viewer)

Jon_Gregory

Stunt Coordinator
Well, after the pentagon released the newest BRAC recomendation, I learned today that my Civil Service job is going to be cut. I work out of Pensacola NAS in Florida. A total of about 1300 civilians are loosing there jobs here. They are taking my department and moving it up to Charleston, SC. But the key thing is that they are only taking 21 out of 105 employees with them. They have consolidated all of SPAWAR (Space and War Command), which is who I work for. We have already had a meeting with our superiors and they confirmed the bad news. I agree with consolidating and saving money for the government, but you never think something like this could happen to you.

Nothing is going to happen overnight, and nothing can happen till the president signs the BRAC recomendation and congress has passed it also. But it will happen to my Dept. and it is just a matter of when and how.

Bill Cowmeadow

Second Unit
Jon,

I don't think you should worry too much, unless you are dead set against working anywhere else, or doing anything else, the RIF process will probably see you through to a new position. Just be ready to accept whatever is offered.

Bill

Jon_Gregory

Stunt Coordinator
That's just it, I just really can not move anywhere. I just bought a house, wife has a great job that I would not want to take her away from. I am not too worried. I will get another job. It just sucks though. This job was a nice and cushy government job. You allways think that in civil service that it is a very safe job.

Jason L.

Second Unit

After hearing all of the whining and complaining from politicians these past few days about these cuts [sort of Reverse NIMBYism], it is refreshing to see someone accept the cuts that the DOD is proposing as necessary.

Julian Reville

Screenwriter
Pensacola NAS is/was a nice base. I spent 6 wonderful weeks there in the summer of 1971. Well, almost there...I was a Middie on the USS Lexington, and we spent most of the time out in the Gulf. Until one of the engine rooms caught on fire...........

Anyway, sorry you're being caught up in a BRAC/RIF. We were sweating it out here in Augusta: Ft. Gordon & DDEAMC are big employers, but they escaped unscathed.

Looks like Ft. Benning is a big winner; where are they going to put another 10,000 people on that base?

Ft. McPherson & Ft. Gillem to close. Most of those folks will pobably be sent to Benning. :) Columbus will be a big change for those Atlanta based types.

Michael Harris

Screenwriter
I may be a victim of "re-alignment" BRAC since my Navy client will most likely have to leave its leased office space in Arlington, VA to a more secure location on a military base. But, I'll be darned as to where it would go since it is part of the Secretary of the Navy's staff.

John Alvarez

Screenwriter
I know here at Mayprot we are all happy to see the base un touched. We should be getting more people. All though I don't work for the military I do know how vital they are to our economy.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
My base is on the list also. We got off it last time and actually got some folks moved here. We'll see how this one turns out, its definitly not time to panic, but you can bet there are several thousand more people watching the job listings than there were last week.

Sam

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks