BP's ~ 1001 & 1201 Drivers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Geoff L, Oct 25, 2001.

1. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

The talk of the new monster 1803 seems to be all the buzz.. It may certainly prove to be all that it looks to be with many working hard on designs for thier in the mail drivers.
    But, has anyone done anything with the 01 line, 10 or 12. These very afforadable drivers looks pretty darn good for the many new DIY,s on limited budgets. At 79.00 for the 12, and slammen it into a sealed cabnit around 2.5 to 3.0 cubic ft combined with a soild 100 150 watts, I think most first timers would be very pleased. Corner loaded with room gain looks like the 20's with some spl come pretty easy. Maybe I missing something here but they look like a low budget sleeper, staying in realistic power relms.
    So has anyone built anything with either of these 01 drivers?

2. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

quote: The talk of the new monster 1803 seems to be all the buzz.. It may certainly prove to be all that it looks to be with many working hard on designs for thier in the mail drivers.[/quote]
    It really should, the motor has already been DUMAXed with spectacular results, and the dual-spider 1803 should turn out even better.
    BP does look to have some really nice drivers at all price ranges. (Actually, given what's on the market, the 1803 is quite a buy for what you get, but it's still not cheap.) Here's a project just down the page a bit using the 1001. No real details listed, but you could post some questions on the design.
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/003749.html
    [Edited last by Jack Gilvey on October 25, 2001 at 10:23 PM]

3. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

Poly cones aren't very stiff, they have problems with cone break up when driven hard. That's why high performance subs have cones reinforced or made with exotic materials, carbon fiber/Kevlar/metal
    Here's a deal for $11 more http://www.adireaudio.com/News/sales.htm
    [Edited last by ThomasW on October 26, 2001 at 12:39 AM]

4. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Thomas
    I think you bring a valid point in break up, when talking pushing poly drivers hard. Big power and
    eq-ing. But with commen sence and an aproach of not pushig things to the max limits polys can perform well.
    My first post stated this (power in the relms of reality). I brought this up as a means of a possible driver thats afforadable offering what apears very good simmed performance for beginners. Simple sealed 1201 designs offering a price performance ratio that apears solid.
    No question other materials, alum, metal injection, lamnit, kevlar, ect for cones have some big advantages but usually bring a cost issue along with it. Would you not agree on this point anyway?
    For many getting started, a poly or reinforced paper cone with a good assembly, quailty surround and motor structure has it advantages certainly. Mainly costs. Also I belive polys have come along way sence thier introduction into cone design years ago.
    I think they allow for a nitch in the market that they can serve well. State of the art no, but a well designed cabnit and resonable power can produce decent results certainly.
    The shiva is a sweet driver no question, proven again and again, but at 30 dollars more for a stater project the blueprint O1's are something worth looking at. Polys dont bother me as long as power is keep in a reasonable relm of sanity. Ive seen nothing on them (1201's) so far, so my comments come from a simple sim look, but they do look attractive for the starter guy.
    Jack~
    Thanks for the link, been away for awhile and just pain missed it...
    Geoff

5. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Double post~
    [Edited last by Geoff L on October 26, 2001 at 09:08 AM]

6. Scott_Mill

Scott_Mill Extra

Geoff, I just finished a sonosub with the bpd 1001 10" and I am very happy with the results. I put it into a 34" tall 12" diam sonotube and I think it sounds great. It is currently powered by a little 75 w amp and it still shakes my windows in the living room. How it sounds to me is about the only way I know how to test it, I dont have any graphs or spl measurements but I am very pleased with the driver and with the help i got from the people at BPD when I had questions.

7. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

Geoff
    Understand I have nothing against BluePrint... I own 2-1503's [​IMG]
    I stopped using poly cone drivers about 10yrs ago for two reasons. The first was the coloration they impart to the sound, the second was the problem with cone breakup.
    As for a $90 Shiva vs a $80 1201, it's no contest, the Shiva wins hands down IMO.....

8. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Congrats Scott,
    Look very nice and sounds as though your pleased. With 75 watts and a little poly 10 incher, how could that be so. [​IMG] Just kidding!
    You might cosider some simple spl measurments for your given room with a test disc and a Radio Shack spl meter. Not state of the art tools buy any means but would give you/us something to go by as far as out-put with your new 10-incher...
    It's nice to see that a 59.00 driver can do a good job for you. Just imagen what the 1803 in some of the wilder more advanced designs these guys are working might be capable of.
    Scary huh [​IMG]
    Enjoy the new toy, it looks great...
    Geoff

9. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Hi Thomas,
    Agreed ~ BP 1201 against B-stock Shiva MKII no contest!
    But I do still think the BP-1001 offers a low cost option that gives beginers decent performance given whats avaiable at that price in the 10 inch market. Simple sealed desigens low power, cost constraints, 175.00 0r less for everything, wood, amp, driver, and finishing materias for a 20's performer, good deal.... Though, shopping for deals and a good design always helps. Everything has it's trade offs, certainly the BP-1001 wont be setting any spl records sealed while staying clean with sound quaity.
    Un-related
    Have problems getting page to refresh and show newest post, sorry never saw your post till now and anything (new) will not show till I leave the site and return.
    Probley heavy site traffic.
    Geoff
    ------------
    Allright, listen to your BASS! Ok, that just bad, I mean not good bad, but bad bad. You can shut that s%$# off now....
    [Edited last by Geoff L on October 26, 2001 at 11:41 AM]

10. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

Geoff
    Yep the 1001 is probably the best bang for the $
    Do you have your browser settings set to 'refresh page on every visit'?

11. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Thomas,
    Could you explain as this has never been a problem before. Just recently, last week or so.
    Thanxs
    Geoff
    Edit- went to prefs and checked all and everything looks fine so i just dont know. Dos'nt help i know nothing when it comes to computers or web-tv (me)... [​IMG]
    [Edited last by Geoff L on October 26, 2001 at 12:45 PM]

12. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Sometimes works fine then bang wont show my new post till I leave and come back, strange... I just edited he above post and all worked fine!
    I changed nothing. hummmmmm
    Later
    Geoff