BP30's and SVS

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by George Conti, Mar 10, 2003.

1. George Conti

George Conti Extra

I am considering buying Definitive Technology BP30's and CLR2000 center, BP2x surrounds, SVS 20-39pci+, and Marantz sr7300.

Does anyone have anything similar? Does this sound good for Home Theater?

2. Tom S

Tom S Agent

I think I replied to another thread but...

The short answer is yes. I am very impressed with my DT set up:

2004TLs 2002CLR and BP2Xs

The only suggestions is to make sure that the driver compliment is identical across the front, preferable all the way around. I made the mistake of buying the 2006s, which have a different driver than the 2002CLR. The tonal difference and unmatched timbre was noticable. The moment I plugged in the 2004's (they have the same driver as the 2002CLR) I knew I made the right decision upgrading to the 2004's.

Tom

3. Keith Carlascio

Keith Carlascio Stunt Coordinator

Hi,

I have similar setup. BP30's in front CLR-2500 center, BP2006 Side and BPX rear center along with a pair of 20-39s running off a Samson 700 and the DefTech are running off a Denon 5800.

I have nothing but goods things to say, music sounds great and movies sound awesome.

Keith

4. George Conti

George Conti Extra

Th sounds great. Why did you choose the BP30's over a powered tower or ny other main speaker?

5. Keith Carlascio

I liked the sound of the 30s over over the 2004 I listened to, just thought the powered towers sounded boomy. I think the 30s are DefTech best kept secret. Not to mention I already had the SVS's

Keith

6. George Conti

George Conti Extra

Keith,

I have heard the complaint that that powered towers sound boomy before. I thought that they just don't have quite the same punch and definition on the low side that an external sub gives. Not too much diference but noticable.

How are you set up? Small for bp30s and what crossover frequency?

Thanks,
    George...

7. Keith Carlascio

Hi,

My system is all in boxes right now as I finish a new room for the HT. I experimented with large and small and ended staying with small it seem to give a cleaner sound. When listening to music I would usually turn off the subs and set the mains to large for certain types of music.

Anyways hopes that helps, I do plan on getting a second set of BP30 for the sides and movinging the 2006s to the rear center.

Keith

8. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    I have been running the BP20s, CLR 1000 and BPX with my SV sub for some time now and I couldn't be happier with the overall sound both for movies and music.

Parker

9. MattCPT

MattCPT Stunt Coordinator

I own the Def Tech BP-30's and CLR 2002 center channel. I use B&W Solid Monitors for the rear and a Marantz 8200 receiver. I love the sound of both the receiver and speakers, they both improved my sound dramatically at the time of purchase.

I also compared the BP-30's with all the Def Tech powered tower speakers at the time and I found that the BP-30s always sounded tighter and more musical. No matter what setting I used on the subs I found the sound to be "boomy". I must agree that the BP-30's are Def Techs best kept secret.

Keith,
    I would be VERY interested in what you think of the BP-30s with the SVS because I have been debating buying an SVS PB-1 to add to my system. I haven't done it because I wonder if it will add enough to my music and movie experience to make the purchase worth the $. I also fear a loss of performance with music.

Please report back if you do buy them.

Matt

10. Keith Carlascio

Hi Matt,

I already have the twin 20-39s and would not trade them for anything at this point. They add a lot of bottom end and don't muddy the sound of the 30s at all. They are the best bang for the buck in bass in my opinion. No loss of performance for music or movies

Keith

11. Parker Clack

Parker
    Matt:

I can tell you that the SV Sub makes my 20s sound that much better. The 30s aren't much of a difference to my 20s and having the sub in play with the towers makes all the difference in the world for both movies as well as music.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised at the overall performance increase you get out of your system with the PB-1 and with SV's liberal return policy you can't go wrong.

Parker

12. George Conti

George Conti Extra

Parker,

How do you have the bass manaement setup? Are you running the 20's large? Is there any cutoff frequency control on the 20's, if so what do you set it at?

What reciever are you using?

I am concerned because my dealer suggest the sr7300 and it can LPF can only go down to 80hz. I am thinking that 40hz may be needed.

Thanks,

George...

13. Parker Clack

Parker
    George:

I run all my speakers at small and then let the sub take over the bass management. None of the speakers I use have any type of frequency control.

I am using a Outlaw Audio 950 pre with the Outlaw Audio 770 power amp.

With setting all the speakers to small they don't have to deal with low bass. I run the LFE out from the Outlaw to the sub. This allows the mains to "breathe" better without having to handle all the sub bass.

Some people like to keep their fronts set at large and then run the center and surrounds at small but I like the overall sound of setting all my mains at small and letting the sub handle all the low bass.

Does the Marantz have an dedicated LFE that you can use?

Parker

14. MattCPT

MattCPT Stunt Coordinator

Keith and Parker,
    Thanks for your feed back. I'm almost certain that I will go with the PB-1 for my system. My only other concern is if the Marantz will be giving too much to the sub with the 80Hz crossover that it has. It may be fine, but I wish that they had included more options. At the time I bought the Marantz I didn't think that I would ever want a sub, but this forum is making me change my mind.