What's new

BP2002TL hook up question (1 Viewer)

Gary.H

Stunt Coordinator
I have the bp2002tls and am running one set of speaker wires to them and they sound great. Would I really hear any measureable difference if I also ran a seperate line for lfe? How about the scheme where you take the jumper off for the low and run a line from full range out on the receiver for thw low bass?

John Doran

Screenwriter
gary,
i have a pair of bp2000tl's and i can tell you that i definitely noticed a pretty big difference when i removed the gold jumper between the mid- and low binding posts and hooked up a line-level connection to the "full-range" port on the towers. i got way more and much deeper clean bass.
but perhaps my experience isn't too good a guide, since there was already a line-level connection going to the "full-range" input; the only problem was that the guys who delivered the speakers hooked it up wrong, and ran the full-range connection from the "sub" outputs on my receiver instead of the front left and right pre-outs. and they turned the sub "on" in my receiver's settings. it took me a year to realize that's what they did, and when i changed it over, it was like i had just bought a new system.
i currently run BOTH the full-range AND lfe connections to the speakers, and like it very much. there's more punch in the bass with the lfe connection.
anyway. if you don't want to spring for the extra cables until you know if you will notice a difference, maybe see if you can beg, borrow, or steal a couple runs of interconnect to try it out at home.
good luck.
- jd

Bob_A

Supporting Actor
Hi Gary!

I strongly recommend wiring via "full range low level in". This should result in tighter, deeper, and cleaner bass. One thing to keep in mind is that the quality of the cables also makes a difference. You can wire via "LFE in" also...but only do this in addition to wiring via "full range low level in". Good luck!

Gary.H

Stunt Coordinator
So you can do both? The full low level in and the lfe in? Will doing this with my center channel clr2500 also have good results? Thanks for the info.

John Doran

Screenwriter
the clr2500 only has a full-range input and not an lfe input.

but when i ran the full-range into my clr3000 and removed the jumper between mid- and low-, i noticed an immediate improvement.

but, again, i suupose that's no guarantee that you will notice any benefit.

good luck.

- jd

Bob_A

Supporting Actor
Yes Gary, you can run both. You should hear a noticeable improvement in sound wiring via "full range low level in". Apparently this hookup will give you true stereo bass. As for wiring using full range vs. wiring using full range and LFE in...DT claims that both hookups will be very similar in sound quality. I guess you could try it out and see how it goes.

John H

Second Unit
Not using the powered subwoofers sections line level inputs and just using speaker level with jumpers in place will also give stereo bass.
The only difference is the bypass of the speaker level to line level conversion. Is this what you mean by "true"?
John

Bob_A

Supporting Actor
Yes John you are correct. Speaker level is fine, just a bit muddy in comparison to full range hookup. If you wire via LFE in and set the mains to "small" with sub to "yes", then it is my understanding that you will not get true stereo bass.

Gary.H

Stunt Coordinator
One more question. If you run the full range inputs into the 2002tls and you have your surrounds set to small will you be missing some of their base with out the lfe input in or will all the base from the back be put to the front subs anyway?

John H

Second Unit
If you run the full range inputs into the 2002tls and you have your surrounds set to small will you be missing some of their base with out the lfe input in or will all the base from the back be put to the front subs anyway?
If you are not feeding the LFE input a LFE channel signal set the "Sub Out" to "NO" in your receivers setup menu.
You will not be missing any bass from your "small" surrounds with this configuration.
John

Gary.H

Stunt Coordinator
Just for clarification. I should be on my avr4800 be taking the sound from the preouts which normally would be used to hook up an external amp? I tried this with my clr2500 and didn't seem to be getting any bass but I may not have been listening to something which I would notice it. Thanks.

John Doran

Screenwriter
gary,

i noticed precisely the same thing when i finally ran the full-range into my clr3000 to the pre-outs of my denon 5800 - the bass seemed to drop right out.

the effect was particularly dramatic for me because there was a particular bass-frequency that used to be really LOUD from the 3000 - i'd put my hand by the port on the rear of the speaker, and there was an incredible amount of air coming out - like a high-powered fan. this effect was the worst during the credits of John Carpenter's "The Thing", with that bass-note that is sustained throughout the first 5 minutes of the show.

anyway. i hooked up the full-range input, and the room-gain vanished. i, too, wondered if i'd messed something up, or if the cable was faulty, but after messing around with it for a while and trying another cable (no difference) and turning the volume knob on the back up and down about a million times (bass got louder and quieter), i just concluded that this phenomenon was precisely the same one i experienced with my bp2000tl's when i finally hooked them up correctly - everything got tighter and cleaner.

i hope, anyway. i'd hate to think that i (we) have somehow compromised the bass-performance of our center-channels. or worse, that there's some sort of design-flaw with the speaker...

anyone else have any experience with this?

- jd

Bob_A

Supporting Actor
You guys are using quality cables for the center channel full range hookup, correct? If you are sure that the hookup is correct, you might want to email Def Tech ([email protected]) and ask them about their thoughts.

John, I have the same problems that you are having on the CLR3000 and bp2000tl's with Denon AVR5800. I also find the same problem with output for the subwoofer to my samson amp

and svs for the lfe. I think it is a voltage problem or something I not very technical with kind of problems. It may just be a problem with the pre out's on the denon's. I think I read were the guys over at svs were coming out with a device to help the output of the preouts. I have also tried using the low level inputs to the clr3000 from the center pre output, and the left/right preouts and have the lack of bass. I can turn the bass gain alll the way up and you can hardly here them at all. I would to find out what the problem is the denon receivers, so I could run them full range. I keep in touch with you on this matter if anything changes. By the way are you getting the upgrade done to your 5800.

Bob, as for me I have used monster cable, XLO, and Audioquest interconnects all with the same result. It must be a problem with denon's pre out's. Thanks for the help. Richard

John Doran

Screenwriter
richard,

i'm not sure if i understood you correctly, but were you saying that you also got no bass running the lfe inputs to your bp2000tl's?

if so, i have no trouble there - i have all kinds of bass from my mains using the lfe inputs.

but that doesn't mean that there isn't a problem with the pre-out for the center channel on my denon 5800.

how do you intend to figure it out?

and i think i will be getting the upgrade - it depends on what sort of price my dealer can give me. lord knows it should be a really good one - i had some marathon problems with both them AND denon. it was only when i threatened to walk (i've spent A LOT of cash there so far, with much, much more to go) that i got results. with a promise that they'd bend over backwards for me in the future.

we'll see.

i'd really love to have the variable crossover, though....

let me know what happens with your 5800, richard.

- jd

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks