1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Blu-ray Review Boyhood Blu-ray Review (Criterion)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Neil Middlemiss, Dec 26, 2016.

1. Message #1 of 1 Dec 26, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2017
    Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss Producer
    Reviewer

Neil Middlemiss
    Neil Middlemiss

Boyhood Blu-ray Review (Criterion)

[​IMG]

Revisiting Boyhood, following my review of the first Paramount release (largely unchanged below), I am struck by the unassuming and understated power of this film. The natural feel and flow of the film, the non-traditional narrative, and the expressions of the world unchanged by our daily joys and failures as time move on unrelenting, provides for a rewarding and surprising experience.

As I stated in my previous review, Director Richard Linklater’s Boyhood understands the antagonism of siblings and the uncertainties of youth, and though dramatically we watch a young boy deal with these uncertainties, what forms through the prism of imperfect parenting (is there any other kind?) is a view of love, loyalty, struggle and celebration. With the same actors reprising their roles from time to time over a 12 year period to bring about the unique experiences of growing up, the world we see around us as young boys and girls is openly explored and even fondly admired.

[review]
    Read more.

benbess likes this.