Boycott Games?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Duran, Sep 30, 2002.

1. Chris Duran

Chris Duran Stunt Coordinator

Anyone else see this? http://www.fairplay-campaign.co.uk/front.htm Fairplay wants everyone in the UK to boycott games the first week of Dec. because they claim that no game should cost $50 dollars, when they can be sold for $20. I mean sure I'm all for cheaper games, but don't they relize that they will only be hurting retails and video game publishers, both of which are having some difficult times right now? I mean sure they arn't going bankrupt or anything, but alot of publishers are having problems making money and posting loses, Eidos, Acclaim, Capcom, some others. The publishers of these games won't actually be affected at least not directly, if you think about it the retailers are the ones that are going to be hurting since they already bought the product from the publishers, and it will just be sitting there. They try to compare the movie industry to the gaming industry, which in some senses makes sense as they are both forums of entertainmnet, and both cost alot of money to make. But then they try to compare DVD's to Games, which isn't fair, movies have a first run in theaters and make most of there money back there, if the movie is successful, then the studios get even more profit from the sales of DVD's, video games don't have this option all they have is the first time it comes out to make money. They also claim that video game prices distract from creativity, which in a sense could as a publisher doesn't want to risk a huge some of money on something that isn't going to be successful, but if games were cheaper your telling me that there would be more creative titles out then there are now? Please. I just thought I would post my 2cents.

2. BrianB

BrianB Producer

It's 20 pounds they want, which approximately equals $30, as opposed to the ~40 pounds they are now, which is approximately $60. The main journalist behind the campaign, Stuart Campbell, has said he wants game prices even lower.

It's the retailers they WANT to be affected by the boycott & the campaign as they're the ones most likely to put pressure of Sony et al to cut the licence fee. And to be fair, the boycott is really just to grab headlines - it's more about drawing attention to the subject of game prices in the UK media & forcing Sony et al to reduce the licence fee.

I agree with their aims (Cheaper games!), I don't agree with the evidence they're using to back it up or the justification they're giving. I think they're being extremely simplistic with their calculations & downright manipulative with some of the figures & rhetoric on the site.

There's a couple of huge long threads on the Edge forum about it, which is where the campaign sprung from. I made my feelings known. I got shouted down for being a naysayer. Ho hum. There's been some good points made in it, and some downright rubbish spouted.

3. Rob Speicher

Rob Speicher Supporting Actor

Games are fine at $50, I think. It's more than just the cost of making the CD and putting it in a box. There's a lot of people's hard work behind each game. Well, each quality game.

If they can lower costs by lowering the profit margin for resellers, fine, but money shouldn't be taken away from the programmers, artists, etc.

4. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

To be fair, Rob and Chris, Campbell and company's main point is that they believe that by reducing the prices of games to something closer to what other mainstream media cost, sales will more than increase by the difference required to make a profit - hence John Pickford's comment about how Binary Design usually used to make back more money in the days of the Spectrum on the titles they sold to Mastertronic for sale at £1.99 or £2.99 than they did on the ones that sold at the 'full price' point of £7.99, despite development costs being the same. Brian has been arguing that he doesn't believe this is the case, which is a different discussion than one about whether or not we should be 'hurting' the retail industry by demanding cheaper product.

Personally, I've given up following the argument, as its gone very vindictive, to be honest. I'll be supporting the boycott, as going one week without purchasing anything is easy, but it'll be interesting to see if it actually makes any difference.

5. Dean DeMass

Dean DeMass Screenwriter

They should of done the boycott during the week of Oct. 29th. This way it would be easier to get the new Grand Theft Auto. [​IMG]
    -Dean-

6. BrianB

BrianB Producer

7. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

I didn't notice if anyone above mentioned that the games in essence subsidize the consoles. I heard one figure that Microsoft loses around $100 on every Xbox it sells. I've always understood that the game console business model tends to rely on annuities from the games to make up for that. Although I've also heard that Nintendo actually makes money on the GameCube.

So given that, if someone wants cheaper games then they will pay more for the console. Or they can wait for a while as the prices on some titles tends to drop after release (at least on the non-premiere titles).

Of course there's always the argument that increased volumes could offset lower game prices. But one has to assume these companies have considered this and have the proper business analysis behind it.

8. paul h

paul h Supporting Actor

I've always argued that cheaper games means that more people will buy them so the revenue roughly balances out. Surely a game released at $30 instead of $50 will shift more copies which makes up the difference. Not only that but the cheaper a game the more people are willing to take a punt on it, an example is Quantum Redshift, gets average reviews and people start asking if it's really worth $50...maybe it is but at $30 it's a solid purchase. AAA games will still sell by the truck load but also a lot of the good to very good and niche titles should also sell well at a cheaper price point. Also cheaper games squeezes down the margin that the pirates make.

9. Chris Duran

Chris Duran Stunt Coordinator

Iain/Paul your model of making games cheaper means more people will buy them, thus the revenue balances out, sure that model will work for gaming compaines that don't produce A+ titles, but it will hurt companies that do take the time to make A+ titles, think about. Everyone with a Cube pretty much bought Mario, well everyone was going to buy Mario because it was a A+ title, but with the prices lower the same amount of people are still going to buy Mario, but with Nintendo getting less money then they would have. See kind of what I'm getting at? Developers that make stellar titles would end up hurting while midcore publishers would benefit. Eventually things might work out, but that would be a huge loss.

10. paul h

paul h Supporting Actor

I see what you're saying but then Mario isnt for everyone's taste just like MetalGear isnt...the way things are im not surprised that companies are struggling, why should just the big boys like Nintendo and EA take all the sales. At $50 a go im not surprised Madden outsells SEGAs NFL games because people trust the Madden brand and will go with it even if NFL is the better game. But at $30 each then the same people will buy madden but may try NFL as well and vice versa.

11. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

Seeing as I waited until I only paid £17.99 for MGS2, £19.99 each for GT3, GTA3 and Burnout, £21.99 for Halo and £25 for Waverace Blue Storm and Pikmin, I'm pretty much doing this sort of thing already, myself. I bought a PS2 within weeks of the launch of the Platinum range, as I'm a cheapskate - my reason for siding with the petitioners on the whole (though, as BrianB says, the arguments on Edge have got way out of hand) is that I don't think I'm the only one that buys far more games when I can get them for a more reasonable price, certainly a lot more than the total cash spend is when I can only find ones at £40 or more.

12. BrianB

BrianB Producer

13. Dean DeMass

Dean DeMass Screenwriter

14. Paul_Medenwaldt

Paul_Medenwaldt Supporting Actor

Game prices will come down in time due to demand.

2 examples i can give are Kiss, The Nightmare Child and Clive Barker's Undying.

Both of these games when first released were $50.

I purchased Kiss about 3 months after it was released at $14.95.

Also Undying can be purchased at $15 or below depending on store.

I refuse to buy games at $50 a pop. I purchased Deadlock 2 a few years ago when it was released and I hated that game.

When Warcraft 3 was recenlty released at around $50 for the basic game version. Best Buy had it at times for $45.
    I waited and I got it for $27 online plus a few bucks for shipping. Now it can be found for $20 at some websites.

Now why is an "A" title being sold for so cheap after its release, i don't know. Maybe its not selling as well as they thought, or they are selling so many, they've made their quota and can get away with selling it cheaper.

With UT2K3 being released the cheapest i've found it is $40. But i'm willing to wait a little while and maybe it will come down in price below $30.

Paul

15. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

I don't mind paying $50 if I get my money's worth on a game. What I do mind is only getting half a game for my money. As much as I love NCAA Football 2003, I was pissed that if I wanted to play anything more than an exhibition game, I had to shell out another $20 for a memory card with enough blocks on it (the 3 memory cards I already had combined didn't have enough blocks, even if I erased them).

I'll also be selling or trading Turok ASAP since in November it looks like us Game Cubers will get plenty of decent shooters (Metroid Prime, Medal of Honor, Star Wars Jedi Whoosit, etc.)

16. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Well, with very few exceptions, I'm no longer buying PC games. $50 for games where you have to download cracked exe's so that they run properly, and cd's don't even come in cases anymore - just paper sleeves. That's just #[email protected]#ed up. If i'm going to buy busted, incomplete crap, I don't want to spend more than $30. [​IMG]
    I'll stick to console games from here on out (with the possible exception of Tomb Raider).
    -Dave

17. Moe*A

Moe*A Stunt Coordinator

Anyone living in the UK will remember that before the release of the PS2 and Xbox new games were retailing for £30 and most others at £20. Yes that is right NEW games.

I remember reading at the time that sales were at an all time high. I only buy a few games a year just casue they are so expensive, I'd rather have none then spend £40 on crud.

But once the prices droped so dramaticly I was buying a lot more games. So lower prices do equal higher sales. And not lets assume just cause its a triple A title everyone will buy. I have no intrest in MGS2 but if I could have picked up a copy for £30 when it was new I more then likely would have bought it to see what all the fuss was about.

18. John Spencer

John Spencer Supporting Actor

So basically, when you boil it all down, all they're doing is making the second week of December one of the most profitable ever for gaming stuff? [​IMG]
    So they want games to be cheaper, but they're too "hard-core fanboy" to boycott them for longer than a week? I'm smelling something, and it's not reason or common sense. Sure, it would be nice if games were cheaper, but the companies only make these things as expensive as the market will allow. If nobody ever would pay $50 for a game, the prices would go down. But if games were released at $80 and people still bought them, who would be at fault?
    I'm reminded of a quote by the irrepressible Rob Gillespie when he tired of people bitching about the rising price of the HT hobby: "If you're always bitching that you can't afford it, then you need to find a new hobby."
    This is a simple case of someone wanting to burn the candle at both ends. Sure, I'd love to be able to buy my video games for $5 each while at the same time getting paid $100 per hour to eat chocolate and pick my ass, but I live in the real world. A world with concepts like "supply and demand" and "supply-side economics", so I'll just stick to being an engineer.

19. Paul Richardson

Paul Richardson Second Unit

So what if we all boycott? A week later we'd all just buy the games we wanted anyway. Impact to software sales overall: nil.
    I'm going to do my part by refusing to buy Kabuki Warriors.

20. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

If this guy really wanted to have an effect, he should have called for a boycott of games until developers dropped their prices instead of just for one week.

Imagine if the African-American community in the South had only boycotted the buses for one week after Rosa Parks refused to give up her seat. I suspect very little would have come of it.

This campaign is simply a misguided attempt by journalist who wants to gather some attention. As far as I'm concerned, video game prices are where they should be. I gladly pay $50 for a game I really want, because I know it will be worth it. If you don't like paying that much, wait a while and you'll certainly be able to find some bargains in the used games section at Funcoland.