Boy these Canare 4S11 cables are cheap! Should I pull the trigger?

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by John Pine, May 2, 2005.

1. John Pine

John Pine Supporting Actor

John Pine
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

I’m considering replacing my Home Depot 12gauge clear thick-jacket speaker wire with these bi-wired connections for my front soundstage. Any feedback?

My 5.1 setup:

Toshiba 35"
    harman/kardon AVR 525 (preamp)
    Parasound HCA-2003 (mains & center)
    harman/kardon PA 2000 (rears)
    Denon DVD-2900
    Paradigm Reference Studio 60 v.2
    JBL S-Center II
    JBL S36-II's
    SVS PC-Ultra
    All Better Cable interconnects,
    Panamax MAX 4300
    18'x 23'x12' vaulted ceiling (LxWxH)

2. Alf S

Alf S Cinematographer

Alfer
    Curious as to why? Are your current wires defective..?

Can't see why there would be a need to spend $80 if everything is currently working...The stuff you have now seems more than adequate.

Just my nickels worth..

3. DaveHo

DaveHo Supporting Actor

What a rip-off! That is the exact same cable & connectors you can buy from Blue Jeans Cable for less than half that price. Hell, the connectors aren't even crimped or soldered. The heat shrink tubing is the only part that might actually require a special tool to do properly, and you can pick up a cheap heat gun for less than $20.

Blue Jeans

Build your own unless you are a complete doofus.

-Dave

4. RobWil

RobWil Supporting Actor

Yep....$1.05 per foot, unterminated, at Blue Jeans. You can get 20ft delivered for just under $27.

5. John Pine

John Pine Supporting Actor

John Pine
    Alf: Just bought a pair of used Paradigm’s which have connections for bi-wire/bi-amp. I was interested in trying out this option. The Home Depot & Lowe’s near me don’t carry the wire I’ve been using anymore. Really, I was just looking for an inexpensive way of trying bi-wiring.

Dave: Thanks for the link Dave. I’ll check out Blue Jeans Cable. And yes, I am a complete doofus.

Rob: Canare 4S11 Bi-wired (Star Quad, 14 AWG) spaded & bi-spaded (bi-wire) for a 10’ length is $51@.

6. DaveHo

DaveHo Supporting Actor

John,

Sure hope you realised I was joking. Really, there is nearly no skill needed to strip a piece of wire and put those connectors on. Despite what the Ebay listing claims, they are not a crimp connection, they are a compression connection and require no tools other than a wire stripper. Yes, the Ebay listing is cheaper than buying the assembled cable direct from Blue Jeans, but the raw materials are much cheaper through Blue Jeans. It's up to you, but I really don't think, even if you have never put connectors on cable before, that you would have a problem building them yourself.

-Dave

7. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Well if you want to try out biwiring, then you need two things: extra wire that you can run from your amp or receiver to the other set of binding posts and a method by which you can reliably determine whether there was a positive effect, like this one.

Now I could tell you that it doesn't matter, that you can't or won't hear the difference. Or, you can go on other forums and people will swear it totally transformed their systems. Some things you've just got to try for yourself. So, before dropping change on the Canare wires, get some el-cheapo HD stuff and try the above method out. Report back now, hear?

8. Kevin Deacon

Kevin Deacon Second Unit

You don't even need a heat gun. I turn on a stove burner and rotate the cable over the heat. Works great!!!