What's new

boy I love cooking on cast iron (1 Viewer)

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
it's been a long time since I've cooked in a cast iron skillet. I saw one at walmart the other night for $7 and had to have it. I had forgotten how nice they are to cook on. After a week the pan is already nicely seasoned, the bottom is mostly solid black. I find myself using the cast iron over my all-clad every day now

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
The cast iron will absorb the oils and fats from the foods when you cook. This is called "seasoned." Don't ever use soap when cleaning cast iron because it will remove those oils AND take on the taste of the soap.

The only cast iron I use currently is my camping dutch oven. I just use hot water and a clean scrubber to clean it out. Then I rub just a little bit of vegetable oil back into it to keep it from rusting. I'd love a nice cast iron frying pan. Hmmm... I may have to go look around.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
to begin the seasoning I bake the pan coated in crisco for an hour at 350, let it cool. then fry some bacon and stuff in it, like mentioned never soap, just a plastic scrubber.
natures non-stick :)

Anders Englund

Second Unit
Yea, cast iron is the best. I just got a cast iron wok, and I love it. A lot better that that wimpy teflon or titanium stuff. :)

--Anders

Darren H

Second Unit
Great (and simple) cast iron recipe:

1) Over medium heat, melt half a stick of butter and three tablespoons of honey, stirring together.

2) Season a pork tenderloin to taste (I usually just use black pepper), then drop it into the butter and honey.

3) Once the bottom of the tenderloin has browned (5 or 6 minutes), flip it over and do the same on the other side.

4) After both sides are browned, pop the skillet into the overn (preheated to 350) and cook until finished (about 20 minutes).

Browning the loin traps the juices and results in the most tender pork I've ever eaten. So good.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks