What's new

Boy am I mad at my uncle. (1 Viewer)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i completely sympathize. i lent my friend my entire cowboy bebop collection (thank god not the limited edition box).
a few days later i asked him how he liked it so far. he told me he had lent them to his brother!!!
i was like, wtf??? :angry:
i told him i was surprised he did that and that i wasn't aware he was going to do that. i asked him to return them to me as soon as possible. i think he could tell i was not happy.
as soon as they got back i examined them all carefully! luckily they all appeared to be in good shape.
if i would have lent him the box too (which is completely impossible to get now) i would have completely freaked.
i hate to seem selfish, but i've only had a handful of friends that i ever trusted. and that was only because i knew they were as anal as me.
i am pretty doubtful i would ever loan my stuff to just an acquantice.
it sucks to be so nit-picky and shallow about this stuff, but hey....i paid for it and i wanna keep it in good condition.

Art Martinez

Stunt Coordinator
Wow, I guess I'm lucky that the only people that borrow my movies are fellow HTF'ers. My two buddies that borrow my movies also work with me so if I lend them something I usually get my DVD's back in four days top.

Sorry to hear that so many of you all have had bad experiences with lending out DVD's. My two buddies and I have this great system of lending eachother things and so far it has worked out great. We share similar tastes in movies but it works out great to see movies that we may not know about, or that are obscure "favs" of one of us.

Scott Bourden

Second Unit
I have 2 people that I let borrow my DVD's. One of my best friends, who is as anal about DVD handling as I am, and my girlfriend. The friend respects the DVD's and CD's and knows how to handle and care for them (and is also a HT fan).

The girlfriend knows that if they come back damaged, it might just be over between us (or she'll be buying me a new one)

Both of whom have never damaged a disk belonging to me, which is great.

My other best friend isen't good with this whole "technology" thing.... He violated my disks in ways I never imagined possible, scratches and some kind of candy (or dried koolaid?) on the actual data side of the disk, and the case with wrinkled.... And my copy of Pitch Black I lent him has a frikken COFFEE MUG RING on the case! He used it as a god damn coaster!

Either way, I punched him in the side of the head and cut him off. We're still friends, but he's not allowed to borrow anything, or even touch the remote to any part of my system.

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
Either way, I punched him in the side of the head and cut him off. We're still friends, but he's not allowed to borrow anything, or even touch the remote to any part of my system.
Ha!!!
I never lend my movies out, but not for any of the reasons above.
Number one, I love to actually show people movies, and everyone knows they're always welcome round whenever I have a few spare hours to kick back with some film or other. I just enjoy talking to them about it and seeing their reactions and just sharing the experience of a great movie.
Number two, I dislike films being separated from my collection. I've got a real Feng-Shui thing going on with my DVDs (I pride myself on the fact that literally anyone can find at least a dozen or so films to their liking or interest in there) - it's such a delicate balance between different genres and types that anything missing sort of throws it off. It feels - for lack of a better word - uncomfortable to have discs missing.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I guess I'm the other guy who's had no troubles, but I've had no problems loaning stuff to friends. In fact, I like loaning stuff to friends! I take joy in sharing my stuff with friends, especially if they really enjoy it.
If my friends were irresponsible and significantly damaged things I lent them, I'd be upset, but I don't mind a box corner made a bit more ragged or such. To me, it's only stuff, bought at a store cheaply and readily replaced.

Ricky Hustle

Supporting Actor
Rick's wife here - I never posted before but I read here alot - he probably won't be happy I posted with his name but I'm a techno-geek so I'm allowed.

We only loan DVD's to my brother who takes very good care of our DVD's like they are his own.

Our nephews are a different story. They cannot borrow dvd's, but they can borrow our VHS tapes. We've had many VHS tapes go missing, so now when they borrow, they must sign a piece of paper with the date, VHS title, and their name and place it in the slot where the video goes. Hence, we always get them back now!

DeVario

Agent
I understand. My dad used my Terminator SE to test the DVD player on the computer. Somehow both sides of the disc were full of fingerprints and scratches after he was done using it. I had to go buy another copy. No hard feelings though.

By the way, I placed a sheet of paper next to my DVD collection that says "Discs are to be handled by the EDGES ONLY!" written bold and clear as day so anyone who watches any of my DVDs in my absence won't screw them up.

Anders Englund

Second Unit
I do let my friends borrow DVDs, on a few conditions:
  1. No OOP's
  2. I never have more than 3 DVDs out at the same time
  3. No whole box sets
  4. If the box or case is easily damaged or very nice, I put the DVD in a keep case and the box stays.[/list=1]
    My friends knows and respects this, and I've never had any problems with my DVDs. My wife, however, does think I'm a bit anal when I use a VHS (or something) to keep the DVDs in a straight line as soon as someone has handled them. :)
    I do lend out my VHS' without thinking twice. If I'm lucky the person will lose it and I never have to be bothered with it again. :)
    --Anders

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks