Boxing - Holyfield vs. Byrd (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick Sun, Dec 14, 2002.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Chris Byrd peppered Evander Holyfield with an unrelenting right jab and Holyfield could not mount much of an attack against the southpaw, Byrd.

Byrd won by unanimous decision 116-112, 117-111, 117-111.

Holyfield looked old in this fight, thought he did mount a decent couple of rounds in the 10th and 11th rounds.

Holyfield blamed a bum left shoulder after the 1st round for not being about to set up combinations. The fact was Evander wasn't quick enough to set up combos against the more agile Byrd, who not only danced and jabbed, but was the aggressor after most of the breaks, beating Holyfield for better position and continued to pour it on. Holyfield simply had no answer for Byrd's left-handed style. And Holyfield even tried going southpaw for about a minute in one of the middle rounds, but quickly abandoned that style as well.

So Byrd is now the IBF title belt holder. Lennox Lewis will probably stay away from Byrd because of Byrd's fighting style doesn't match up with with Lewis's.

2. Jason Quillen

Jason Quillen Supporting Actor

We had a couple friends over tonight to watch the fight (in spite of the fact that I have a 12+ page paper due monday) and most of us found it pretty boring.
    Had a hell of a time playing beer pong, though [​IMG] [​IMG]
    JQ

3. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

Past his prime and too many 12 round wars.
    That is Evander's real problem.

4. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

Was at the g/fs and had to tape it.

What size gloves were they using - they looked really large.

5. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Clown-size.

The commentators were talking about how the ref was letting Byrd get away with hitting with an open glove, which is a no-no in boxing. I really don't like Byrd's ninny-paw slapping style of boxing.

6. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

Byrd's style is why he isn't a major contender.
    The heavyweight division could use fighters like Mickey Ward and Arturo Gatti!!!
    The two fights they had were some of the best I've ever seen! My favorite was a slugfest between Simon Brown and Tyrone Trice or Holyfield Tyson I.

7. DavidY

DavidY Supporting Actor

Can't stand watching a heavyweight use the "peck" method. Glad that Lennox dropped the IBF title instead of fighting the mandatory No. 1 challenger, Chris Byrd. Lennox probably would have destroyed Byrd. [​IMG]
    Dave