What's new

Box suggestion for Tumult! (1 Viewer)

Brian-Nu

Auditioning
I'm putting the Tumult in my car. I plan to have the box 3.5 ft^3, ported, tuned to 35hz. Does that sound like a good idea to you?

Thanks!

Cam S

Screenwriter
Ported? I don't know much about the Tumults, but I'm pretty sure they can't be ported very easily. Best bet would be to go sealed if you ask me.

I plan on using a Tumult in my Impala SS in a 3.0 ft^3 box tuned to 20 Hz (tuned low, but that is the sound I am looking for). Check out some other forums that Adire supports and you will find a large amount of info about Tumults ported in cars.

Brian-Nu

Auditioning
It's recommended to tune the Tumult to 20hz when you use it in home theater application. In cars, it's for music only, in my case. 99% of music does not go below 30hz, there's no point tuning the Tumult low. That's what I think. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Craig, which forums are you talking about?

Cam S

Screenwriter
What kind of port is needed to tune a Tumult that low without getting port noise? The Tempest needs a massive box, and the Tumult displaces WAY more air. I'm not getting something here :confused:

Kyle Richardson

Screenwriter
A 30-35Hz tune is just fine for the car (although I'd opt for the lower tune) since you will be getting tons of cabin gain down low. Be sure to use a subsonic filter below Fb to protect the driver though.

Cam,
Yes, it can be ported using a square or slot port of sufficient size. If the port is too long then just make it turn 90deg. If you go with a slot port be sure to add in "end correction" values too.

Cam S

Screenwriter
Wow, that would be a great competition sub in a car if it's ported, geez.

Craig, which forums are you talking about?
Brian-Nu:
Try the first one from the Adire site. I am not sure of the rules here about posting direct references to other forums.

Cam / Brian-Nu:
I have never been happy with the sound of any ported boxes in any of the cars I've heard. Too boomy and sloppy and just not deep enough.
So I took my HT Tempest (Adire alignment, 7.5 ft^3, tuned to ~16 Hz) and stuck it in the back of my Tahoe. I know the Tahoe and Impala have different responses, but the sound was what I have been looking for for a long time now, and I am going to take my chances that it will give me that same sound in my Impala (basically tuned very low with no peaks and excellent group delay -- quite different from most ported-box designs in-car). The Tumult will be flatter to a lower freq than the Tempest (using the specs listed above), but I can eq that out if needed. Tuning lower than 20 Hz for the Tumult makes the port length almost impossible. The 20 Hz tuning also reduces the group delay at the more common music frequencies (~35 Hz). This will allow me to listen to Quad Maximus or Sarah Brightman or The Fifth Element Soundtrack and get what I want out of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks