What's new

Box Springs vs Platform Bed (1 Viewer)

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
I know this post is almost a year old, but I decided to reply here because I have some advice/feedback on platform beds - even though it may not help the OP at this point:

Avoid platform beds at all costs. I made the mistake of buying one many years ago, and it's one of the worst purchases I ever made. It was very expensive, but still used cheap wood. It was impossible to put together so that the structure/frame was completely "tight", and would always move/shift whenever anyone sat/slept on this. As time went on, the frame got looser & looser, especially when it would be moved to another part of the room. Sure, it looked nice (the outer covering was a black lacquer-ish paint), but was still a crummy piece of furniture.

Finally, last summer it fell apart for the umpteenth time & was barely fixable at that point, I dismantled this, broke it up into pieces, and took the dam$ thing to the dump. Good riddance.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
We’ve only had it two nights but stress has kept me awake for the majority of it. I slept maybe two hours Tuesday night and about 30 minutes last night. The mattress is like lying on a billiard table but we were told we have to break it in over at least 30 days before it softens up a bit. My wife loves the adjustable frame. We’ll see how it goes.
Did you keep it?

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Did you keep it?
We did. It’s a bit more comfortable now than it was when we first bought it. We have been turning it every month which is a PITA because it doesn’t have any handles to grab hold of. We’ve only had it during the winter so we’ll soon see how cool it stays in the summer.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I thought I'd resurrect this thread. In March I finally decided on a new mattress. I went for a Tranquillium foam mattress, and just kept the same frame and foundation I've had for over 30 years. After allowing some time to get used to it, exactly what I feared came true. I don't want to get out of bed in the morning. There's a bit of an adjustment to a foam mattress, but as long as you get a good one, there doesn't seem to be any sinking problems. You do have to understand that when you move, it takes a few seconds for the mattress to adjust and re-conform. The other thing I learned is that when you sit on the edge of the bed, you don't want to sit right one the edge. You want to move back a bit, or you really do sink in.

I'm very happy with it, and the thing has a 20 year warranty. It does take a while for it to "gas out".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks