What's new

Box Sets and Season Sets in Other Countries (1 Viewer)

troy evans

Screenwriter
If this has been covered before forgive me. I do alot of online shopping and have noticed over the years that we here in the states get shafted when it comes to boxsets and package art and such on dvd releases in general. I recentally saw the Knight Rider complete series set from the U.K. My goodness, is that thing awesome when compared to the U.S. release. I'm including this link as an example only: Amazon.co.uk: Knight Rider - The Complete Box Set: David Hasselhoff: DVD From this link you will also find many other series that get the superior treatment compared to ours in the states. It doesn't stop there. Many properties that go overseas get the lavish treatment. To name a few, Buffy, Star Trek Voyager, Deep Space Nine, etc. I know there are many people on here from other countries and would like any input as to why this may be. It has me curious, to say the least.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Troy,

You're sure right about the many differences (for the most part, better in R2/4) between R1 & R2/4 sets.

I'm just guessing since I live in the states but I'd think that most of the reasons for this are.......Clearances, Release Rights (prohibited stateside vs cleared overseas), legal "matrix" logjams. Take the original Bionic 70's shows as only one example. Still no R1 releases after 3 years (since the S1 R2's) waiting, all due to an ongoing stalemate of distribution rights for a DVD (R1) release between 2 parties that either lack the will to reach a deal or it's way back on their back-burner of issues.

My guess is that we're so hung-up on profit-margins in the states (corporations, etc) that this is the major obstacle in domestic releases. How about another 60's classic show that....how many fans...are waiting for an R1: Batman. Anyone guess how many units that one would sell for a remastered top-transfer uncut set?

It's one of imo, the great ironies of DVD-land. Most of these shows were produced in the states, yet no R1's.

troy evans

Screenwriter
I'll tell ya Jeff, I've been tempted to order some of these sets just to get the packaging for my dvd collection. I have a region free dvd player, but, it's in my bedroom and there's no space for it in my rack. So, I guess I could double dip on these or just order from the U.K. It's not every single release that bothers me just the ones I like :laugh:

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Troy,

You're right on about this. It's the primary reason I purchased the entire set of DS9 from the U.K., and why I'm in the process of buying the entire VOY series from the U.K. as well. In the case of VOY, I'll have to hurry, as the red 'torpedo' casings are becoming more rare.

I'll have to check out some of the other shows you mentioned. Purchasing boxed sets overseas can be a bit pricey, but for me it's worth it (esp. in the case of the Trek boxed sets). That being said, I must say that I am very pleased with the North American released sets of TNG. I think Paramount did a fine job with the packaging of that set.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hickskeith007
Recent bookmarks