box or tube?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Neil Joseph, May 18, 2001.

1. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    My question is simple. I need a 4ft^3 (net) enclosure for my driver. I have done the designs for both a traditional box 33"H x 19"W x 16.5"D and a sonotube at 18" diam x 33" (cut) height. The total sonosub height would be 40" after legs, pikes etc are added.
    I think I should also add that the box would require elbows to accomodate the 25" ports whereas the sonotube could use straight 25" ports.
    Which would you choose for your design and why? I realize this is a poll but I figured that I would get a smarter response here int he DIY. Explain advantages/disadvantages like weight, sonic characteristics, etc.
    I will build whichever one you select for me.
    Thanks,
    orangeman
    ------------------
    Neil's H.T. Site
    (plus large selection of H.T.Links and movie images)

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I think everyone knows my response to this question. [​IMG] The only problem is getting hold of sonotube material, after that, the fun begins.
    I find boxes too heavy and bulky. I haven't had a problem with my tubes being too light and moving around under heavy bass duty. Plus the bracing required for boxes is not something I'm too keen on (extra work).
    ------------------
    PatCave ; HT Pix ; Gear ; Sunosub I + III ; DVDs ; LDs

3. Tony Richardson

I agree with Pat on the sonotube. I recently built a sonotube sub and it could not have been easier to do. The sound is fantastic and I think it looks cool as well.
    I built mine out of 16" tube with a shiva driver. It stands 48" tall with legs. I thought I had heard and felt base before this, wow!! You won't regret it if you build a sonotube.

4. Isaac C

Isaac C Stunt Coordinator

If this is still the same design as the one in your previous post below, I just wanted to mention that each of the two ports (of 2in. radius each) should be 26.1in long. I made a minor correction in my last reply to your vent length thread.
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/Forum17/HTML/003059.html#6
    ------------------
    SPICE simulations
    Nelson Pass: Descriptions of push-pull often illustrate this type of operation with a picture of two men sawing a tree by hand, one on each side of the saw. Certainly this is an efficient way to cut down trees, but can you imagine two men playing a violin?

5. denis d

denis d Auditioning

for my part , I prefer a speaker like enclosure than a water tank in my living room ... for the weight problem , I put caster roller under my sub . also I thing the weight is a advantage it prevent the sub from moving around I thing

6. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Thanks for your suggestions. I will build the sonotube subwoofer this time. I have the 18" tube already which I will cut to 33". FYI, I am using dual 4" ports @ 26" long, the endcaps will be dual layer MDF plus a single layer of plywood. I will also use 3 threaded rods that I will pass through the entire height of the sub to brace it. The legs will be 3" and the base will be another 3/4" layer of Plywood or oak.
    Thanks,
    orangeman
    ------------------
    Neil's H.T. Site
    (plus large selection of H.T.Links and movie images)

7. Seungsoo Hwang

Seungsoo Hwang Stunt Coordinator

Ive had more fun building my sealed shiva BOX vs my Dayton 15" tube, but the tube sure is easier to build.