Box or cylinder: Does it really mater?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Rob E, Dec 4, 2003.

1. Rob E

Rob E Extra

I am seriosly thinking about getting a SVS subwoofer and trying to determine if a box is better or worse than the cylinder. I see alot of audiophiles with the cylinder subs, do they sound different or is it just because of the unique look? I have the space for either of them. I was leaning towards the SVS pb2+ but i would love to hear your opinions on the subject- Thanks Rob

2. Alex Prosak

Alex Prosak Supporting Actor

You should get equal performance whether box or cylinder with SVS. There were many people that wanted boxes for the form or whose wives won't allow a "water heater" in the living room. You definitely won't go wrong with the PB-2+, they are simply awesome. Wish I could swing a second one.[​IMG]

3. Matthew Todd

Matthew Todd Second Unit

I just have to say that I just ordered a 16-46PCi, and am super excited to get it!

On their website, I think they generally say that you get slightly better bang for the buck with the cylinders at any given price point because it's just a little more expensive to make a box, but when you start putting 2 or more drivers in a box that may no longer be true.

I think all the boxes are stock tuned to 25 Hz, but most if not all allow adjustment of the tuning point with the port blockers.

The cylinders are stock tuned to 16, 20, or 25 Hz. Some of these are adjustable also.

Feel free to pop off an email to the guys at SVS and they can provide you with some good advice and suggestions. They're very fast at getting back to you.

Matt

4. terence

terence Supporting Actor

Also if you go with the cylinder you will need to get 2 in order to match the PB2+, and it is not cost effective unless you just have to that xtra headroom, like the look of 2 cylinders. The PB2+ is an excellent performer and value. Oh and it's BIG! Americans love big cars, speakers, amps, houses etc. so it works.

5. Ernest Yee

Ernest Yee Supporting Actor

LOL

6. Jin E

Jin E Second Unit

Bass is about Volume, number of drivers, ports, and wattage. A cylinder has two advantages. One of course is ease of manufacturing. If you've ever made your own sub you know it's MUCH easier to make a Sono-sub then it is to make a boxed sub. One of the reasons a sono is so much easier is that it does not need any internal bracing like a large rectangular sub, the second advantage. Dissadvantages? Number of drivers for one. On a box sub you have 6 surfaces you could mount drivers and ports. You have just two with a cylindrical sub. But in the end it's all about the sub's performance, and manufacturing issues aside with the same driver, volume, and power with equally stiff enclosures you will get teh same bass. to me it's more of a tradeoff of asthetics v. cost.

7. Ron Stimpson

Ron Stimpson Stunt Coordinator

As usual, the advice here (based on actual user experience... what a concept! ;^) leaves little need for embellishment from the OEM here.

Nonetheless, lest you think this NOT be a frequently asked question, I provide Exibit A here:

http://www.svsubwoofers.com/faq.htm#cylinderorbox

As described on our own page, and by others above, there are pros and cons to each design. While there are quite a few "experts" around the web who will bend your ear on the supposed sonic benefits of one design over another it really comes down to a long list of far different considerations which can sway the decision one way or another.

Ron Stimpson
    SVS

8. Chris Xolotl

Chris Xolotl Second Unit

Ummph

Box UGLY
    Cylinder PRETTY!

Ugghh

Really, my cylinder complements everything else in my room. I think a low riding box would just be too ugly for me.

9. WayneO

WayneO Supporting Actor

Not when it's packing two db12 drivers and 900W amp! [​IMG] Then take off the baseplate, point the woofers forward and got two beautiful drivers to stare at. I do miss my cylinder though........