Box of sand for subs?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Shane Morales, Aug 4, 2003.

1. Shane Morales

Shane Morales Second Unit

Jul 9, 2003
    Was just chatting with a pal of mine about HT stuff and he was recalling how a long while ago a friend of his built a flat box, filled it with sand, and put his sub on it (not directly on the sand; the box is enclosed). My pal couldn't remember why.

What's that supposed to do? Anything?

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Jun 29, 2001
    Makes a convenient place for your cat to piss in and also keeps the ant colonies in one central location [​IMG]
  3. Brian OK

Brian OK Supporting Actor

Aug 29, 2000
    Chu surely jests :*)

.... sand is a dampening agent often placed below or upon sub cabinets to dampen vibrations. Adding mass (sand in this specific case, which is a VERY good dampening agent) can minimize/control cabinet vibrations due to the long excursions of the subs larger woofer. Keep in mind that a properly constructed sub has the construction/bracing to minimize cabinet "boom".

But the aim of sand is mass loading/dampening---as they say, a little is good, but more is a hell of a lot better. Your subs construction will dictate where you end up as far as adding loading sand onto/under you own sub.

Oftentimes it can "tighten up" the bass response from your sub and deliver noticible improvements. In other instances it can be the source of strange looks from the wife/and/or bring glee to a cat if it is exposed sand.

Not having a cat in my house, I have about 20 lbs of sand on top of my sub. They are double-bagged in zip glad bags to act as a deterent to area strays, as well as being covered by a black cloth to prevent the usual visitors question.... "what the hell is that?"
    One must sometimes hide his tweaks from view.....

This is all IMHO, and up to each his own. I like the mass loading, but I use a sub that is not considered SOTA.