Box is just about finished - I have final tuning questions, re: shiva + port

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jim A. Banville, Apr 16, 2002.

1. Jim A. Banville

Jim A. Banville Supporting Actor

The inside capacity of my box is 3.8 cubic ft. (how many liters is that?), minus the space that will be taken up by the 12" driver and 4" port. Now, I haven't bought the Shiva yet, but I was planning on using it in a ported box. Does the size of my box fit within the parameters of the Shiva? Would another driver be more suitable for my dimensions? I was also planning on using the 250 plate amp from Adire Audio, which I believe has a rumble filter set at around 20Hz, so I don't expect much output below that frequency. Should I go ahead with the ported box or stay with a sealed enclosure? If I stick with a ported Shiva, what length should my 4" (inside diameter) be?

thanks

Jim

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

3. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

3.8cuft is about 107.6L which is close to the 95L Adire Alignment. I think your 4" port will have to be around 18"-20" long. The Shiva takes up about 5 or 6 Liters. I'm not to sure about the 4" port though

4. Jim A. Banville

Jim A. Banville Supporting Actor

Thanks Cam. According to the Shiva Vented Box .pdf file, for their 95L box they recommend 12" length for their 4" flared port, but recommend adding 5" to the length if using a straight port, which is what I'll be using. So I need to figure out if the combination of the volume of the 17" long 4" port + the volume of the Shiva driver when mounted from the outside + the volume taken up by the 250 watt plate amp leaves 95L in my currently 107L box [​IMG] Wouldn't it be cool if it worked out perfectly!

5. Kyle Richardson

Kyle Richardson Screenwriter

Jim, you are on the right track, the Shiva will work just fine in that box and if it doesnt come out to 95l exactly dont sweat it. That is just one alignment among many and you dont have to stick to it exactly.