What's new

box for upcoming Star Wars films (1 Viewer)

SimonY

Auditioning
Any chance that anyone has heard anything about been able to buy a box for the first 3 Star Wars films to match the OT box from last autumn like what New Line Cinema did for LOTR, for those of us that have already bought TPM and AOTC? Or even a box that will take all 6 films…? What about a petition for one?

Simon

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
It's way too early to hear anything about a mail-in offer for a box for the movies.

And not to be a jerk but I think starting a petition for one would be a little ridiciulous. Even if I paid a small sum for it, Lucasfilm doesn't owe me a box for my other movies. New Line was good enough to do that for LOTR but it wasn't something that they had to do. I think a petition should generally be for instances when companies release a pan and scan only version of a movie or things in that area.

SimonY

Auditioning
I was thinking that a petition, even thought it might be over the top, would send a signal to Lucas & co that the fans might like to have a box to have the collection in, without having to fork out for the rumoured 6 dvd box edition....

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
Meh...just wait a couple of years, you'll get a box full of discs worth upgrading for when the ultimate saga box set that everyone is expecting for the 30th anniversary is released.

Of course, if there's any more tinkering with the films (OT especially), maybe many of you won't find it worth upgrading :D

But seriously, I think it would be nice if there were a promotion similar to New Line's LOTR box, but it's not going to kill me if there isn't one. I'd pay a small amount for one.

Alex-A

Stunt Coordinator
I highly doubt any of the internet petitions actually gather any attention. Anyone with a computer can put one up, it wouldn't surprise me f studios receive these 'petitions' quite frequently and just ignore them altogether. To me, a physical letter will always garner more attention when delivered in the hundreds or thousands than something that can be gone with the push of the delete button.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
Have any of those internet petitions actually worked? Ever?

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory - Widescreen DVD.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
For actual DVDs? Occasionally. For getting a matching cardboard box for DVDs you already own? Not a chance.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
On November 1 they'll be releasing Episode 3 in a boxset with the other two sequels. I would think this would have new transfers, since Episode 1 was notoriously panned in that respect.

Nick T Robot

Supporting Actor

I read that they'll release it along with a 3 film box set, and a 6 film box set (So, actually 6 seperate releases, ROTS OAR, ROTS MAR, The 3 Prequels OAR, The 3 Prequels MAR, The Whole Saga OAR, and The Whole Saga MAR)

I think the idea of this thread was a box would be made available so that people wouldn't have to buy any of the previous films again (I, II, IV, V, or VI)

I also doubt that they'll re-Master any of the films before a new 6 film set (possibly in 2007) I don't think they'll want to take away from the release of Episode III

Aaron_Brez

Supporting Actor

Would be nice if they fixed the surrounds on ANH, but I have no confidence they'll do so. They'll probably just repackage the DVD inventory they already have, and we'll have to wait until 2007 or Blu-ray/HD-DVD for corrected versions.

Brad M

Second Unit
I just noticed they now have a new "commentary" feature if you check the dvd-rom contents. I was just watching The Empire Strikes Back and you can read along with a script as you watch the movie. You can also do this with A New Hope and it says "coming soon" for Return Of The Jedi.

Thought someone might want to know.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Other than Phantom Menace, NONE of the other movies could possibly look any better than they do on standard DVD.

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
My brother asked for the Star Wars films for Christmas. As of now he doesn't have any of them. A couple of questions.

The OT set out next week is exactly the same as the previous OT set except for the box artwork and exclusion of the bonus disk?

There's no 'set' of the PT, they must be bought separately?

There's no 'set' for all six?

Just trying to make certain. Thank you. :)

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell

Maybe not in terms of video resolution, but Star Wars (Episode IV, whatever), and possibly the other 2 entries in the OT (I didn't follow the threads in detail at the time of release), were criticized for transfer flaws such as incorrect colors. So while the current discs can't get much, or maybe even any, better from a technological perspective, there may still be room for improvement when it comes to aesthetics and/or accuracy.

DJ

Kain_C

Screenwriter
We recieved those new Star Wars Trilogy boxsets yesterday. They're quite nice looking. I love the old school box art and would prefer that to what we have now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks