1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Box for my HT sub

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Bob_S, Sep 13, 2003.

1. Bob_S

Bob_S Stunt Coordinator

Hi, I'm planning on using an Adire Audio Brahma 10 in my dorm room. I used the 15" versions in my car before and I used a huge ported box with a slot port. Im just curious, in a ht application is a flared port recommended over a slot port?

Also, should the box be internally sound dampened? Is that necessary at all? I've built about 6 or 7 car boxes so im not sure if I should do the same things for HT as I did with my car system.

Lastly, in my car all my boxes would have the port and sub on the same plane except for the crx box Im currently using. For the HT sub though I noticed at of manufactures have the sub on one plane and the port on the opposite. So which is recommened?

Thanks
    Bob

2. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

Here a link to a design that's fully optimized for max performance.

Flared ports move more air and tend not to 'chuff' at high SPL's

3. Bob_S

Bob_S Stunt Coordinator

Wow thats a really nice enclosure. The attention to detail is incredible.

The only problem I have with a flared round port is that for the bow I will need a 41" long 4"dia pipe which may be a problem. Is there a place to get a decent quality pipe that long that is flexible? or am I better off using cheap pvc from home depot and just using an angle peice to connect the different sections?

Also incase your wondering the box is .75Ft^3 tunes 32hz.

Bob

4. Jake K

Jake K Stunt Coordinator

5. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

If you're going for the best performance then use a straight port. Having bends in the port changes the resistance of the air 'spring' inside the port.

Cheap PVC is fine, so is a cardboard shipping tube

41" is too long. Ports should be ~30" or less, that way the pipe resonances are kept to a mininium.

Also you don't need a 4" dia port for a 10" driver, 3" dia is fine.

6. Bob_S

Bob_S Stunt Coordinator

its a car sub that can be used in a home application. if you go to adireaudio.com then click on mobile audio, then drivers, then brahma series you'll see it. They recommend .75 tuned 32hz so i was going to go with that.

I dont have it yet but I'm going to aquire it in a trade for my arc audio amp.

What would be a good tuning freq? I never built anything for home theater before so Im not really sure what to do

Thanks

Bob

7. Jake K

Jake K Stunt Coordinator

For a home theater sub a tuning frequency around 20hz is ideal. Using a Shiva or Sadhara driver would be better, but the enclosure will have to be larger, but still quite small. The port length will also be shorter. Can you make a bigger box?

8. Bob_S

Bob_S Stunt Coordinator

I can make any box its just that Adire specifically recommends .75 . I'd buy a sub thats meant for home use thats already loaded like a klipsch or velodyne but I'm not paying for this at all and if i didnt get it and sold what i was trading for I'd only get like $150 and thats not enough to buy a good sub.

9. Jake K

Jake K Stunt Coordinator

I see. This will make a great music sub, but there won't be much below 30hz. A Shiva in a 150 liter box tuned to 20hz with a 4" flared 13" long port would make a good HT sub, but with the amplifier it would cost about $300.

10. Bob_S

Bob_S Stunt Coordinator

If I tune it lower my port length is just going to increase unless I raise up the box size, maybe I'll email adire for some advice. Thanks guys

Bob