What's new

box design for 15" dayton titanic mkiii (1 Viewer)

JoeGibs

Stunt Coordinator
does anyone know how much airspace these subs work well with? the pre-built boxes that sell on partsexpress with these subs dont look like they're anymore than 2-3 cubes

partsexpress page

JoeGibs

Stunt Coordinator
i'm planning on putting this sub in my grand cherokee, i figured you guys over here at this forum would have more experience with the sub than the car audio forum i hang out on. i only have about 5.4 cubes gross to work with, and i already had a ported design finished. i worked it out to be 5.4 cubes gross, 3 cubes net, tuned to 22 hz, with 43 square inches of port, 73" vent length. i was told by another that the port noise would overcome the bass below 30 hz and that i should just go sealed. depending on what you guys think, i'll probably just end up going sealed :frowning:

RayM

Agent
Hey Joe,
I installed one of these in my cousin's Pathfinder last fall... 2.5 cubes sealed and getting about 600w RMS. Sounds great and has lots of output!

I think your design was fine with port noise... 43 in^2 is a LOT of port area. You're going to fire the port rearward anyhow, right?

I think 22hz is tuning a bit low for use in a car... I'd tune somewhere between 26-30. It gives you more output, you won't have to make the port quite so long, and I don't think you'd be able to hear any difference in low-end extension.

KyleGS

Second Unit
The 2.5cf sealed design should be great in your Jeep. I personally like the sealed design when using a larger woofer like this one. You should get all the output and extension you need with a sealed box, not to mention great SQ.

JoeGibs

Stunt Coordinator
just because i'm stubborn, i'm going to go ahead and try the box i have designed. right now i have an elemental designs 15ae in a 2.0 sealed, i'll toss the dayton in that box just for rough comparison to see the difference between sealed and ported. my plan with this whole thing is that if i dont like it in my jeep, take it out and put it in my dorm room, which is also another reason why i'm tuning this low. i'm going to be using a us amps 600x bridged to 4 ohms mono, and i've been told with a healthy electrical system i should get at least 800 watts rms out of this amp. the purchase wont happen till i get my tax returns, but after i have it all installed, i'll post pictures and a short review.

and to answer a question, yes the sub and the port will both be rear firing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks