Box building what kind of joints

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bob Bartlett, Jun 28, 2002.

1. Bob Bartlett

Bob Bartlett Stunt Coordinator

I'm going to be building some speaker boxes this weekend and wanted to see what kind of joints most of you are using. Has anyone done mitre joints? I'd like to know the plus and minuses about different joints.

2. Rob Lloyd

Rob Lloyd Stunt Coordinator

I use butt joints as I think most others do as well. It's much easier to cut a square joint. I just spread glue and then use a brad nailer to save time over clamping.

Dados can also work for things like braces making assembly easier if it holds it in place better.

Let us know how it turns out.

Rob

3. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

I use butt joints on the exterior and use dados for braces in the A/V-1+'s.

Brian

4. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

My site has some pictures of how a contractor and I lock mitred the joints.
    The sides are all angled into a trapezoid type enclosure so the lock mitre helped a lot.
    We used standard carpenters "yellow" glue and heavy duty C clamps to hold it in place as seen in one of the pics. We would have used the standard clamps but there were too many angles.
    It makes a very strong and not to mention super air tight joint, however it can be difficult without the proper setup. I believe it took about an hour or two just to setup the machine that makes them. Afterwords we squished the edges and added maple edge tape to the bottom.
    I would do it only if you use pre-laminate mdf, it probably won't be worth the trouble if you're just going to veneer or paint it. It may look easy, but it requires some decent wood working skills.

5. Chris Carswell

Chris Carswell Supporting Actor

I would stick to good old but joints. I do the same as Rob, glue then brad's. I'm not worried about the nails b/c I use wood fill to cover the small holes then sand, prime, sand, paint, wet sand, and clear coat [​IMG] Unless you have good skills and great tools (12" Compound Miter saw, adj. table saw, & high hp/rpm router) I would stay away from the other stuff.

6. Gary Joe

Gary Joe Stunt Coordinator

still working on my SCH kit but got all of the cuts made. The instructions ask for miters on all edges, so that's what i did. It all fits together tight as a puzzle too. It took a while without a dado blade, but I want to take my time and do it right the first time. So that's one for dado's, but i'm a newby.

7. Mark_E_Smith

Mark_E_Smith Second Unit

I used butt joints with "biscuits". if you have axcess to a biscuit jointer it really makes a strong joint. Check your saw to make sure you have 90 deg, I cut my fist pass with 2 deg off 90 :b . Also check you mitre for 90 to the blade or make a sliding table out of 1/2 plywood and some oak(esp if you are going to build a lot of paanels). That makes sure you have right angles on your panels.

8. Bob Bartlett

Bob Bartlett Stunt Coordinator

I think I'll give the mitre a shot. My father in law has a mitre saw not to mention a whole woodworking shop and said it should be no problem. I'll try a couple of pieces and if it doesn't work go back to good ole butt joints. Biscuits is a nice idea also. Thanks for everyones help

Bob

9. John_Lee

John_Lee Supporting Actor

Has anyone done mortise and tenon joinery with the side pieces accepting full-blind tenons from the top, bottom, front and back? That is my intent. I know precision will be a key and with my equipment shouldn't be a problem. Is it worth the extra effort?

10. Mark_E_Smith

Mark_E_Smith Second Unit

I assume you will be using MDF? I think the goal is a leak free joint rather than a super strong joint. I choose biscuits to help align the panels and I didnt want to use screws.

11. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

I used butt joints held with wood glue and screws... but only because I have limited woodworking tools/skills.

If I could, I would rabbet (sp?) the joints to make assembly easier.

12. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

My two cents: I've built lots of speakers and have settled on simple butt joints, no screws (big waste of time and effort). Dowels, biscuits, and certainly mortise and tenon joinery are all unnecessary, IMHO. I recently built these 250lb+ towers for GR Research with butt joints. Okay, I admit to using eight screws in a section of one joint because I didn't get glue squeeze-out there :b
    http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/My_page.html

13. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

Butt joints and Gorilla glue for me...simple and strong.

14. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

We use a cordless nailer, but only to speed up the process since we are usually building several enclosures at a time. It's nice to be able to assemble the enclosure and then head straight to the router table in a matter of minutes!

Brian

15. Pete Mazz

Pete Mazz Supporting Actor

Brian, any unexpected sparks flying yet? [​IMG]
    Pete

16. Rob Lloyd

Rob Lloyd Stunt Coordinator

I haven't seen any sparks from the nails yet. I think (hope) the nails are too soft to do much harm to the bits if you do hit one. At least they haven't nicked the carbide yet.

17. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Pete,

Since we round over the vertical edges we normally just nail the baffle and backs at the top and bottom. This with plenty of Titebond glue seems to work fine. My dad did forget one of his sub enclosures and put nails all the way around the front of the enclosure. The 3/4" roundover bit hardly noticed that the nails were there!

Brian

18. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

Butt joints have one huge advantage over mitered that no one has mentioned. With miter joints, the panels have to be PERFECTLY sized. With butt joints, there is the option of making all the outside edges overhang a little large then use a flush trim bit to take the overhang off. Perfect box without precision cutting.

19. David A. Frattaroli

David A. Frattaroli Stunt Coordinator

I used rabet joints when making mine. Dadoes inside for the braces.

20. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer