What's new

Box building question.. (1 Viewer)

Joe.Madison

Auditioning
I'm in the process of putting my sub box together (stryke 15" and 2 18" stryke PR's) .. Anyway, this thing is going to turn out to be heavy and I'm debating weather to put spikes on it, or casters? Would spikes really gain me anything over locking casters?

Sure would be nice to be able to move this thing around by myself. :)

Thanks!
--Joe

ChristopherD

Stunt Coordinator
To move my sub around, I took the clamp parts off of my pipe clamps and rolled the box on them {borrowing from the Egyptians}. This did mar the MDF a bit{only cosmetically}, so dial your location before finishing if you can.

Owen Bartley

Second Unit
I'm not a big fan of casters, I just think they don't look right on a home theatre speaker... its almost as if it makes it look like some piece of mobile pro equipment or something. I'm going to go with some sturdy wood feet on mine, and just get a few people to help me position it. After all, its not like you need to move it around every day, right?

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I thought about casters too. Only reason i didn't use them was because i had everything else on hand already, including material for the legs. One way to hide the casters would be to do what i did, add 2.5" wide strips of stained pine or oak to the sides and top as trim. Just let the trim extend past the bottom enough to cover the casters but not all the way to the floor. Chances are if you're on carpet, the sub will sink into the carpet enough to make it look like the sub is sitting on the "legs" that the trim makes.

Hope this help :)

Allen Ross

Supporting Actor
i need to find some legs that are removeable because, i will be transporting my tempest back and forth from college twice a year, right now its just sitting on some deck of cards, but its all good

Hey Joe,
I ordered a stryke av15...still waiting and i had planned on going with the dual 18" PR route also...could you give me details on yours...mass on the PRs...box size...bracing if any...amount of power used...and most of all how that bad boy sounds.
i really appreciate your time!

Joe.Madison

Auditioning
Thanks for your input.. I think I'm going to go ahead and use spikes.. I suppose for moving it around, I can use those little plastic coasters they sell for moving furniture.

Chris, I'm not actually using an AV-15 - I'm using sort of a one of a kind Stryke sub. It's alot like the Eclipse aluminum 15. That being said, I'm using it with dual 18" Stryke PR's (1600g), 21" internal cube, no bracing, but the walls of the box are 1.5" thick MDF. I plan on running approx 750wrms and 1200-1400w peak to it.

Hopefully it'll sound pretty good. With any luck, I'll have it all built by next weekend.

Thanks!
--Joe

thanks Joe,
i need to figure out what my best bet will be on box design for the av15..i cant seem to get the same answer twice..
im new to home sub box building i want to get it right the first time...i hope

Joe.Madison

Auditioning
I would just talk to John at Stryke Audio. I'm sure he'll be able to help you figure out what box design would work best for you.

--Joe

Craig Woodhall

Supporting Actor
I used castors on my Tumult dual 18" PR enclosure and am glad I did.. it is about 250Lbs and being able to move it around by myself is great.. it was very easy to move it around the room and I didn't wreck my back in the process..

Craig

I Emailed Stryke a couple of times.
i was told 24" cube with dual 18" PRs but was told different weights for the PRs mass when i emailed the second time to ask another question

"Possibly because there's no "best bet". Have you tried WinISD or Unibox? "
Jack-
I am unfamilier with how to use those programs...any advice would be appreciated.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Chris - e-mail me or maybe start a thread. Fwiw, I think a nice, fat port would work fine with the AV15 since it likes a fairly large box anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks