Bowling for Columbine Delayed?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Skoobooz, Mar 2, 2003.

1. Skoobooz

Skoobooz Stunt Coordinator

Jay
    I was looking around on DVD Empire, when I noticed that Bowling for Columbine is now listed as TBA. I checked with Deep Discount DVD (where I had placed my order for it), and it is no longer available, or in my list of ordered DVDs. Anyone have any info on this?

And while I'm asking, is it official that Punch Drunk Love and the Matrix: Special Edition have been delayed? As both are still available to purchase at Deep Discount. Thanks.

UPDATE: Actually, it doesn't appear that Punch Drunk Love or the Matrix: Special Edition are available to purchase from DVD Empire (while PDL is now TBA, the Matrix: Special Edition they have listed is the Creative Design box set, but with the proposed new special edition art...weird).

Which I guess leads me to ask: what's the deal with these delays? I know that "it happens," but on two new-to-DVD titles and a tie-in with a major summer movie? It's odd....

2. Tom_Bechet

Tom_Bechet Second Unit

Well at amazon it's listed as TBA as well but
    play.com and futureent (both UKbased R1 retailers) still list them as 22/04/03
    dunno if that is reliable though.

That film is great.

3. Joshua_Y

Joshua_Y Screenwriter

That sucks, I was really looking forward to see this film.

4. Travis_W

Travis_W Supporting Actor

The theater I work at got this in just about a month ago and it only lasted a week but I did get to see most of it and thought it was great. I was looking forward to picking this one up but it'll be out sooner or later. Are we sure The Matrix: Special Edition is delayed too?

5. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Probably because it got nominated, they're waiting to slap "nominated" or "winner" on it

6. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    is this a handmade films title?

because a couple handmade titles are not being released when expected including how to get ahead in advertising.

if i'm way off base i hope someone quickly can correct me.

7. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

I hope they're only pulling it to redo the coverart. I wouldn't mind that. If this wins the Oscar for Best Doc, that would be a smart move. Just please, please don't shelve this title and let it collect dust.

Bruce

8. Jeff Kleist

No, it's not HandMade Films, Dog Eat Dog Films.

The cover is the original poster art

9. Travis_W

It won't get shelved though, I agree with the theory that they're just changing the cover art. I'm sure it will win best doc so it's a sure bet.

10. Jeff Kleist

Travis: no it's not

I'm sure Heston's asking his buddies not to vote for it, which is a lot of people. Remember, what DESERVES the oscar rarely wins

11. Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald Cinematographer

some don't even get nominated..."coughBoysDon'tCrycough"

12. Florian B

Florian B Agent

"Bowling" will win the oscar, no doubt at all. It won just about any award it could win, it even got a WGA nom, that's extremely rare if not unprecedented for a documatary. Hollywood is very political at the moment, very unlikely they won't give the award to the film with the strongest political message and one of the best recent docs anyway.

Boys Don't Cry is an independent film. The oscars aren't very big with indie films. I considered it a huge surprise it won best actress, especially considering the competition (Julianne Moore, Meryl Streep, Annett Benning).

13. Matty P

Matty P Stunt Coordinator

Just noticed that Bowling for Columbine is up at bestbuy.com for a May 13th release...

14. Travis_W

May 13th, that isn't bad, not even a month delay. Very true about that Oscar comment, I'll never forget when Saving Private Ryan lost best picture. But I would be surprised if this didn't win best doc.

15. Nick_Scott

Nick_Scott Second Unit

16. James Reader

James Reader Screenwriter

The film has just been re-released to theaters (limited release) according to the IMDB here

I expect they want to get as much box office from the re-release as possible before the DVD is on sale (of course, the Oscar buzz doesn't hurt)

17. Patrick Mirza

Patrick Mirza Supporting Actor

According to MGM, the delay is to finish the supplements. This is directly from a spokesperson.

18. Gregory Pauswinski

Gregory Pauswinski Supporting Actor

Thanks Patrick! I'm glad they're delaying it because I'm really looking forward to seeing those suppliments.

19. Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl Screenwriter

Christian Preischl
    God, I hope all those supplements show up on the Canadian edition. I just saw that the film was distributed by Alliance Atlantis in Canada which sent shivers down my spine.

Chris