What's new

"Bowling for Columbine" delayed until June? (1 Viewer)

Lee-M

Stunt Coordinator
A clerk at the local video rental place told me today that Bowling for Columbine has been set back to a June release... She did not know why; I was curious as to whether anyone else has heard this, and if so, if a reason has been given? I missed its brief local theater run, and was really looking forward to checking it out this week...

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
It has definitely been delayed but a new date has not yet been announced so I wouldn't necessarily believe that June date she gave you.

As for why, again, no reason has been announced by MGM but most of the rumors I've been hearing seem to indicate it was to take advantage of the film's Oscar nomination (and eventual win) by adding more extras. Hopefully that's the reason. More extras=good.

DeepakJR

Second Unit
Real Name
Deepak
Paul, right on the dollar:D . hehe, this movie is great, cant wait, hope it was delayed for June and not more.

L8rz,
Deepak Jr.

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter
BTW my comment had nothing to do the fact that I'm Canadian. I do in fact love America, and support its actions. Maybe not the conspiracy against "BFC", however, everything else... is all good.

Ahmen,

Does anyone know if Alliance plans to take this release away from MGM in Canada, and do their own version?

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
I have one idea....ever since Moore's Academy Awards speech, the film (and his book) after languishing in the charts, have both shot up to #1 again.
So MGM may be milking as much theatrical run as they can from it...

strangely enough, the DIXIE CHICKS have suffered the same good fortune...

(both according to Variety/Billboard, and Moores site)

Tom Tsai

Supporting Actor

Alliance is releasing their own version (probably same disc, different logo). However, since MGM's delay, the Canadian dates have been all over the place from different retailers. I'm guessing it's delayed too and probably won't be released until MGM releases theirs. I hope that's not true though.

Travis_W

Supporting Actor
The Canadian cover looks much more simpler than our cover. I hate it when studios have to tell you how good the movie is, takes up space. My favorite example of this is Columbia's Darkness Falls which touts on the cover: "In terror Darkness Falls runs rings around The Ring!". How pathetic can it get:D ?

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
I don't care about the cover, but as somebody who gets all of his R1 DVDs from Canada the name Alliance Atlantis sure sends shivers down my spine... and not in a good way. :frowning:

Chris

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter
I like how the Alliance cover doesn't have the French Title on the spine, which will exist when it's released. No dice Alliance. I'm ordering it from Amazon.com

Tom Tsai

Supporting Actor
I'd rather have French titles than huge annoying quotes...not like the cover matters anyways.

I'm quite sure Alliance didn't change much, if any, to the disc itself. we'll see.

Marc_Savoie

Stunt Coordinator
If it doesn't have a French audio track, there won't be the ugly French itle on the spine/ cover....

Marc_Savoie

Stunt Coordinator
Hmmm actually, I could be wrong. I was just assuming that was their policy like that of other studios in Canada who make the text decision based on the language tracks...
I don't own LOTR, but I thought I read the Extended Edition didn't have the bilingualism....

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter
but I thought I read the Extended Edition didn't have the bilingualism....
I've noticed that Alliance can't recreate the packages that are super complicated like say the LOTR EE package. However, if you check the discs in that set, they do have the Alliance logo on them.

Alliance also has trouble recreating the NewLine Infini Discs, to resemble their US counterparts. Case in point, Rush Hour 2. I almost bought it in Canada, until I saw all the French. When I got my copy form the US, it had a red case, had shiny stuff in the lettering, and other such things. Things the Canadian version didn't. I know this is really nitpicking, but dammit, why should I have any less just cause I live in Canada.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Attention!

Do not post in this thread if all you intend to do is bash a) Michael Moore's work, b) diss Michael Moore's Academy Awards acceptance speech, or c) question Bowling For Columbine's veracity as a documentary. There is a discussion thread in Movies where you can air your comments (within reason).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks