1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Blu-ray Review Bowling For Columbine Blu-Ray Review (Criterion)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Josh Steinberg, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I think that sort of thing is what Moore is best at, showing people in their day to day lives and allowing the inherent contradictions to reveal themselves. He can extract the point from people if he wants, but he’s at his best when he just allows his subjects to paint that picture themselves.

Bryan^H likes this.
  2. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Yeah, Moore is funny as usual which keeps the movie from being unwatchably sad but the things that depress me are really depressing.

3. t1g3r5fan

t1g3r5fan Second Unit
    Reviewer

Mychal Bowden
    I still remember seeing this movie in my senior year of high school in my College Writing course (the movie had already been out for several years at that point). I'll have to pick up a copy either during this or the next Criterion sale.

4. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Lead Actor

I get that, but I think that's a metaphor stretched to the brink. Yes, at heart we all understand missiles intend to kill, but in reality, they're a pretty abstract concept.

Guns are tangible. We see gun violence in the news, in movies, on TV, etc. and have a concrete grasp of the damage they do.

But an ICBM? That's more abstract. While we get the massive harm they can cause, there's not the day-to-day "real world" connection there.

Moore wants us to connect the missile factory in Colorado with the proliferation of violence, but I think that's an incredible stretch. I think there's about a 0.01% chance the missile factory did anything to "cause" the Columbine shooting...

5. Colin Jacobson

Moore is clearly bright and clever and can be insightful, but dear God, his self-absorbed smugness gets old.

Sure, he can be self-deprecating at times, but he usually seems intent on showing that he's the smartest person in the room, and that gets old.

Moore leaves far too little room for interpretation/other viewpoints. Granted, that's part of what makes his movies stand out, as they're forceful and not wishy-washy about POV, but it also means his movies tend to be overbearing and borderline propaganda...

6. Message #26 of 31 Jul 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    WillG

WillG Lead Actor

Admittedly, I'm not the type who generally agrees with the viewpoints and tactics of Moore and those like him, but I did watch this years ago and remember him making some very tenouous connections to gun violence. The incident with the little girl who shot herself, I remember Moore trying to blame Dick Clark because his restaurant chain made the mother work late. There was also the part where IIRC he tries to make connections to Lockheed having a major shipping route that ran right through Littleton. Then I remember he visits some idyllic Canadian town and noted that the residents don't even lock their doors (yet the scene is shot in broad, sunny daylight. I don't lock my doors during the day either).

He also got on Trey Parker and Matt Stone's shitlist for editing the movie in a way that suggested that they created the animated segment.

7. Colin Jacobson

It was a young boy who shot a female classmate, and the mother of the boy had to travel a long way to get to her job at the Clark affiliated restaurant - essentially Moore felt Clark and company took advantage of borderline "slave labor".

The "gotcha" moment with Clark was a disgrace. It's stuff like that that makes Moore look like a self-aggrandizing showboater much more than an actual documentarian...

WillG likes this.
  8. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I like to say that Michael Moore makes 'opinion movies' rather than documentaries. And I don't mean that as a critique because they're often opinions that I share but he doesn't have a lack of bias that I feel is needed for someone to be considered a documentarian.

9. Colin Jacobson

I think every filmmaker - documentarian and otherwise - is biased. Some just hide it better than others! :)

TravisR likes this.
  10. Worth

Worth Cinematographer

Nick Dobbs
    True. But there's a difference between a bias and an agenda.

11. Colin Jacobson

Agree, though I admit in the case of "Bowling", it's not clear what Moore's overall agenda would be.

The easy assumption is that he'll attack gun owners/2nd Amendment, but that doesn't occur.

He shows an agenda in parts of the film - mainly "let's attack celebrities like Heston and Dick Clark" - but the overall package never quite comes together...