What's new

Bowie - Reality SACD: I like it already... (1 Viewer)

Jeff Keene

Supporting Actor
...and I haven't even heard it yet.

It is a Hybrid, so it plays on regular CD players.

It is multichannel so you have the choice of surround or stereo.

It is clearly marked on both the front (via stickers) and back that all three programs are present on the disc (saying, "All 11 songs in 5.1 Multichannel Surround Sound AND Stereo")

It has a small insert inside giving a Cliffs Notes to SACD for interested folks.

It's in a standard Jewel case (a plus for me, since I use pro-sleeves) with the expected booklet with all the credits and lyrics.

This is a package worth the 16.99 I paid for it. If every album came in such a complete and well put together package at what I consider a reasonable price (I paid 16.99 for my first CD with early 80s dollars), I would have no complaints whatsoever. Kudos to Columbia Records.

My two cents...

cwhite

Second Unit
I bought the album before knowing about the SACD hybrid and after I saw the "Reality" concert on cable television. It's
one of Bowie's strongest releases in recent memory. Presently, it's the only complete album taking space on my iPod.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I want to get this one-I've heard some good things.

I thought Let's Dance was good in SACD & it brought back some funny 80s memories. :)

Jeff Keene

Supporting Actor

That's what I want to hear :emoji_thumbsup:

I'm borrowing a Krell SACD player from Denver audio tomorrow, and have friends coming over for a music night. I'm saving this album for then so I can hear it for the first time when they do.

Music night!!!

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
How would you compare it to Heathen?

I got that one from a friend that received it as a premium from Pioneer, but he hated it. I thought, what the hell, its free.

I was shocked to play it and find that I thought it was fabulous. Great songs, and I really enjoy the 5.1 mix (being a 5.1 kind of guy).

I have been hesitant to buy the new one due to a lack of reviews pro or con. Perhaps your thread will address that short coming?

BGL

cwhite

Second Unit
The REALITY concert recently shown on my cable television channels opened my eyes and ears to this album. It's essentially the studio band performing in a small studio. They did 8 out of 11 tracks, including a killer version of "Bring Me The Disco King" as the finale. I work for said cable company and managed to get my hands on the actual production DVD and took it home for one night(that was the agreement with the Marketing Director). To my surprise as I watched it, the stereo channels are reversed!

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
That Reality film might be what is on the hybrid CD/DVD that is being test marketed in Boston and Chicago - the DVD layer says it contains "All 11 Songs in 5.1 multichannel surround sound and stereo / The film "Reality" with exclusive video performances of Never Get Old, The Loneliest Guy, Bring Me the Disco King, and New Killer Star / PhotoGallery / Lyrics / Bio / Discography / Rom content.

Though if so, they only put 4 of the performances on to it rather than all 8. Or it may be an entirely different performance,. I dont know yet.

UPDATE AND CORRECTION: The video film of "Reality" that appears on the DualDisc of Reality currently being test marketed in Boston and Seattle is NOT the 8 song concert production for Music Choice which Charles White describes below. (Thanks Charles!). The video film of "Reality" that appears on the DualDisc of Reality is a sort of conceptual long form music video which is lip synched music videos combined with surreal interludes of forests, cities, and David Bowie being interviewed by David Bowie's head a la Red Dwarf. The director is Lippman or Lippsomething, and he did a great job particularly for the first half - very artsy. It runs out of steam in the second half.

Thank goodness Bowie is still going strong into the 21st century or I guess we'd never have this sort of material.

And I think David Bowie probably has the best hairpiece I've ever seen.

cwhite

Second Unit
the concert production was for Music Choice and a low budget affair it was since it was shot with consumer grade Sony mini-DV cameras.

Typically, these concerts are later released on DVD a few months later. The Ataris concert DVD is such an example. But that doesn't mean that there were not any music videos, not seen on MTV or VH1. BTW, Mr. Bowie is up for a Grammy for "New Killer Star".

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
If anybody can pick me up the Bowie DualDisc and mail it to me, I can reimburse via PayPal.

It ticks me off that it doesn't have high-res, but I'm interested in the extras.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Michael I think I can set you up (not in a David Mamet way, I mean, you know). Everyone else, hold off for a few hours - I'll pick up one for Michael Sunday morning and if for some reason I do not I will say so, so that others may get it for him. (I dont want to end up with an extra I cant get rid of!). Thanks.

Chris Brunner

Second Unit
Don't worry Will.

I'd gladly take it off your hands, should you be stuck with an extra. I really want a copy of this as I love the album and don't yet have an SACD player.

Yours truly,
Chris

Jeff Keene

Supporting Actor
Well, no one is interested in my rant on the merits of good SACD packaging, but I feel I've helped facilitate some good music changing hands, so I'm all satisfied and stuff. :emoji_thumbsup:

I listened last night, and although I felt the upper-midrange was to crowded in the mix, the music is very good. The last song alone is worth the price of admission.

Oh, and the Krell player is spectacular--making my wife extremely nervous. :D

cwhite

Second Unit
TRIO channel is running the 1987 David Bowie Glass Spider concert show this evening. Just forgive him the oh-so 80's ponpoudour hair style.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

I'll forgive Bowie a lot! Despite all the criticism that era has received, it's the one that made me a fan. I saw the Glass Spider show four times (a lot for me then, nothing for me now) and it really got me into Bowie big time.

But those dancers... :eek:

Jeff Keene

Supporting Actor
Yeah, i have to say I agree with the review as well. I've listened 4-5 more times and while some of the parts of most of the songs are enjoyable, as a whole I find the album to be a mixed bag. I still love the final cut, and I still think the mix seems crowded (not enough separation of instruments). To quote a home theater forum cliche, though, "It's still better than the majority of stuff out there."

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
This has to be some kind of record in terms of various versions of one album released in a short period of time.

Original release of Reality came in two flavors, plain vanilla and limited edition, which had a bonus CD with three extra tracks.

Shortly thereafter, the tour edition was released (in Europe) which is the original vanilla version plus one bonus track (not on the limited edition), and a bonus DVD with the whole album performed live (the Riverside promo show which was simulcast to 80 cinemas across the world). The DVD is anamorphic widescreen with 48/16 PCM sound (despite the fact that the show was broadcast in 5.1 dts, mixed live by Tony Visconti).

Anyway, then there is the SACD, and now also the dual-disc. Four different versions in less than six months, how about that ;)?

In addition to this, there have been several other Bowie rereleases during this period, it's hard on your wallet being a true Bowie fan ;)...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks