Bowflex?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by JohnE, Jul 15, 2003.

1. JohnE

JohnE Supporting Actor

Anyone here own a Bowflex or have any experience with one? I have a friend looking to buy one and said I'd look for some opinions for her online. Are they worth the money?

Thanks.

2. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

I know a couple of people who use it and they swear buy them. It looks to me like a nice way to have some variety of exercises in your home on one machine. But I don't know the price right now.

3. DavidAM

DavidAM Second Unit

Weider makes a Crossbow which is very similar to the Boxflex for $500. I think they have them at Sears. Might want to check that out and see if you like it.

4. DavidAM

DavidAM Second Unit

5. Armando Zamora

Armando Zamora Second Unit

John,

I would advise you and your friend to visit a local fitness retailer and try out the Bowflex. I was just at our local Leisure Fitness with a friend who is also interested in the Bowflex system. I believe the model that they carried was the Power Pro. It was listed at $999 for the basic system which has 210-lbs of resistance...add-ons such as leg attachment, lat attachment, etc...were extra as were additional "power-rods". I gave it a spin. My opinion...it was certainly a differently feel in strength and resisitance training...much different than free weights. I just couldn't get comfortable performing some of the basic exercises with the machine such as the bench press and shoulder press. It would take me some time to get used to as the resistance of an elastic rod definitely feels much different than the resistance that you get from free weights and the pull of gravity. The one big advantage I immediately noticed was the ease of going from one exercise to another. Within seconds, the sales rep had made adjustments to the machine and had me performing another exercise...great for circuit training, IMO. A potential con is the longevity of the power rods. A power rod that provides 50-lbs of resistance when new may be 50-lbs, but with continued use and aging, will that same 50-lb power rod still provide 50-lbs of resistance. At least with free weights, a 50-lb dumbbell will still be a 50-lb dumbbell even after 5 to 10 years of use.

I also have taken the Crossbow by Weider for a minimal spin at my local sporting goods department store. IMO, it was much more flimsy in build and quality than the Bowflex. If I were in the market in spending $$$ on a system, I would take the Crossbow off my list.

As you may have guessed, I'm biased towards free weights. I've used them ever since I started weight training. At one point, I seriously considered the elastic systems (Soloflex and Bowflex), but eventually decided that free weights were for me. Anyhow, that's my take on the elastic rod systems. Again, I'd advise you and your friend to take them for a spin before taking the plunge and plopping down the $$$.

6. Jack Shappa

Jack Shappa Second Unit

7. Paul_Medenwaldt

Paul_Medenwaldt Supporting Actor

8. Joel()Les

Joel()Les Agent

I agree with Armando. I bought a Hoist Gym with stack weights for less than $1k and it has nice smooth feel to its operation. Also bought an eliptical cross-trainer; that put a dent in my wallet, but I went for a high quality unit that hopefully will last many years.

9. Marc Carra

Marc Carra Supporting Actor

Someone locally is selling a use Bowflex Power Pro for about $400US. Is this a good deal? Are they still $1000US new?

Marc.

10. Manuel

Manuel Stunt Coordinator

I love mine. I have had it for over 3 years and I am still using it. I got the recall parts which were no big deal to install. By the way, I never had a problem with my BF and because of the recall they just extended my warranty. If you do not like to drive out to the gym I highly recommend this stay at home solution. For me, I have received my money's worth.

11. Ryan Wishton

Ryan Wishton Screenwriter

It is definately best for your friend to check it out for herself before making any final decisions...

She doesnt want to buy something for a grand or two to collect dust if she does not like it...

Many who like free weights hate the Bowflex... There was one thread around here that people were actually fighting in over the differences...

I would say that Bowflex to those who weight train causes the same kind of controversy that Religion and Politics do to most everyone else...

It is not pretty...

Me... I need variety everyday... I do different things everyday... I would not exercise if I had to do the same thing everyday... I would become extremely bored...

I do think reading the threads did actually talk me out of getting a Bowflex partially... It is a lot of money to take the chance of not using it after awhile... Some of the safety concerns from some have bothered me as well...

I dont know... Maybe I would possibly get one someday, but I would definately try it out first...

If you try it out and hate it, at least you know before you spend the money...

12. Brian Harnish

Brian Harnish Screenwriter

I agree that it is definitely best for your friend to try it out. I also think that she should try out free weights, and then try out the bowflex/crossbow. That way, she can make an educated decision on what works best for her.

However, I highly recommend free weights over these contraptions any day. I wouldn't recommend getting the Bowflex or Crossbow without at least trying free weights.