Bowflex - is it any good?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dennis Reno, Jun 25, 2002.

1. Dennis Reno

Dennis Reno Supporting Actor

My wife and I recently moved. Our move has taken us further away from the gym, so instead of being five minutes away, we are now 15-20 minutes away. I am thinking about purchasing a Bowflex machine and was wondering if anyone has any experience with them. If so, what kind of results did you get? How would you compare Bowflex to free weights?

2. D. Scott MacDonald

D. Scott MacDonald Supporting Actor

I owned a used bowflex for a few months last year. Here's my take:

Pros:

- You can do a lot of different exercises with them.
    - They fold up small, although I always kept mine setup.
    - I definitely saw results very quickly.

Cons:

- They seem to loose their flex over time, or at least become uneven. For example, 2 10lb rods and 5lb rod provided SIGNIFICANTLY less tension than one 30lb rod.
    - I learned top HATE changing out the power rods, and as you get into the higher weights it's not always very easy. It seemed like I spent more time adjusting things than actually working out.
    - I have really long arms (37") so this might not be an issue for everybody, but I had a hard time working my back. It just didn't have enough range of motion.

I sold my bowflex and bought a set of power blocks (adjustable dumbbells), and I like them better (at least for my arms, chest and shoulders). The cons with the power blocks is that I have a hard time working my legs, and it's almost impossible to work my back.

3. David Singleton

David Singleton Stunt Coordinator

I recently received my Gold's Gym Powerflex (last week). This machine is their attempt at a Bowflex, but it costs only $699.
    Obviously, since I have had the machine for a week, I will have to check back later with the results. What I am doing is about 30 minutes a day, three days a week (Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday). My workout always concentrates on my back, and then I alternate legs and shoulders with chest/abs and arms.
    Even though its only been a week, I have noticed some additional flexibility (not muscle definition- just flexibility) in both my knees and lower back.
    If your interested in looking at the Gold's Gym product, you can find it at www.goldsgympowerflex.com.
    David

4. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    If the number of ads I see on my DishNetwork subscribtion is half an indication of the unit's quality, then the bowflex must be the best thing since sliced bread. Damm, I see at least 4-5 ads for them per evening of watching the Dish...
    The bow....
    [​IMG]
    jay

5. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

It always used to crack me up how much they advertised on SciFi Channel

6. Brad_V

Brad_V Second Unit

A serious bodybuilding guy I know said he bought one and took A LOT of crap about it on the bodybuilding sites he was on, but he stuck to his guns and praised it. And then others bought it and praised it, too. If you're going to get a machine, that seems like one of the ones to get.

7. BrianW

BrianW Cinematographer

Brian
    It's a decent machine. One thing I don't like, however, is the fact that the force required to progress through range of motion is not constant, but proportional to the amount of flex in the rods. So instead of a 150 lb. barbell, you have a 100 lb. barbell in the lower position, and a 200 lb. barbell in the raised position (for example). At least the Soloflex design did a good job of compensating for this by increasing leverage with increased tension in the straps, making for a more even workout.

8. Denward

Denward Supporting Actor

Whatever you go with, check your newspaper's classified ads for used ones. I always peruse the Sporting Goods section and there's almost always 2 or 3 Bowflexes for sale.

9. DannyL

DannyL Stunt Coordinator

i used to have a full olympic weight bench and separate lat machine, but secondary to size constraints i sold them and bought a bowflex 3 years ago. it is definitely a different feel than free weights, and it takes some getting used to. for me, the major pluses are #1 small space #2 faster reps- since there is no momentum #3 variety of exercises #4 safety- you don't need a spotter in case you drop 200 lbs on your chest, as i once did with free weights. overall i would recommend it.

10. Marshall Alsup

Marshall Alsup Second Unit

Man, I'm with Jay H.

On Dish Network they play these comercials ALL THE TIME! Last night we were watching a show on Discovery Wings and the very first comercial break had a Bowflex add and we made fun of it because it's always on. But then the comercial was on again during the second comercial break!!!

As we continued to watch we found the Bowflex comercial on each comercial break of the show we were watching! Man the Bowflexes must cost a ton of money because they must pay a FORTUNE in advertising dollars.

-Marshall

11. Trace Downing

Trace Downing Supporting Actor

Trace Downing

12. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay