1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Bowers and Wilkins 703s / 5.1 – wall plates or no wall plates?

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by Scott99999, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Scott99999

Scott99999 Auditioning

Scott
    Hello,

I've got a large open room and I'll be running cable under the floor (into the basement) to wire up a 5.1 system based on Bowers and Wilkins 703s, a matching 3-channel center, two rear bookshelves and a sub. I've also got a Marantz 7012 as a receiver and 5040UB Epson for projector. I'm having an electrician do the wiring and I'm going to supply all of the cables, which will probably run around 25 feet at their longest.

What's not super clear to me is whether I should run Mediabridge 12AWG to a Mediabridge 5.1 and speaker wall plate (s), then a good quality cable between the wall plate and each speaker, or if I should skip the wall plate connection altogether and simply run the cables through an opening in the floor / wall directly to the receiver. Also, I understand the concept of bi-wiring, but people say you can't hear the difference; I know there are a lot of opinions on cable.

If anyone has thoughts as to how best to configure, that would be great. The current direction I'm going is the Marantz to a Mediabridge Wall Plate, then the wall plate with some Mediabridge ultra cables to the speaker, using 12AWG for the whole thing and probably skipping bi-wiring.

Happy to spend a few extra $ on good quality cables, but not looking to spend in the hundreds on cabling alone.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Scott

2. Chris Strnad

Chris Strnad Agent

I'd do plates at both ends.

If all the cable is run and terminated properly, you never need to think about it again because it will never be disturbed. In the long term, should you encounter a problem, you'd only need to inspect the patch cables...