Bowed lines on 32" TV

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott_F_S, Jul 20, 2002.

1. Scott_F_S

Scott_F_S Second Unit

Last week, I purchased the JVC AV-32S33 from CC. Was very happy with the picture clarity and the features of the TV, but it had one annoying problem. It could not render a straight horizontal line ... when I played a widescreen DVD, the picture wasn't square, but was oblong, with the corners bowed toward the center of the screen. This also was noticeable on cable TV when they played a widescreen commercial ... and even on the crawl tickers on the bottom of the screen on the news channels.

I called CC, they said it must be a defective TV and delivered a replacement. Same thing. I went to the store to look at their display model, same problem. So I had them exchange it with the Panny CT-32D32.

Well, on the Panny, the bottom half of the screen is fine, but the same thing happens on the top half of the screen. It has a great, crisp picture but it still has that bowed effect on the top of widescreen pictures.

I did a lot of reading on different 32" models before making this purchase and never encountered this problem. I never noticed this on my old 25" Zenith. My question: Is this something I need to live with if I'm going to stay with a tube TV? Is it something that I'm just noticing now with the bigger picture? Did this problem exist on the 25", but the screen just wasn't big enough to where it was that noticeable?

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Scott:

Are the screens on these TVs curved themselves? If they are not flatscreen models, then you are going to see a bowing effect when a horizontal straight-line image is displayed. Sheer physics; the displayed line has no choice but to follow the countours of the screen.

JB

3. Jael

Jael Agent

I don't think this is necessarily so. I had the same problem with the JVC AV36-303D. It was just turned up in the lower left. Got it replaced, same thing. Went to the store. Same thing. I think it was a production defect in the new sets. It gave me the push over the edge to get a Panny pt47wx42! It's giving me nice square lines[​IMG] I don't think this is remotely a problem with all curved direct view sets. Just something to look out for (especially in JVC?).
    Best of luck!

4. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    I see bows on display models all the time. Isn't it just the geometry of the set? I though it was the flat screens that had a lot of geometry problems.

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Sure, it could be geometry issues too.

6. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    Weak power supply?

7. Jeff Shynky

Jeff Shynky Auditioning

Okay, I just read what was happening with your jvc tv, and I am experiencing the same issue with mine. Mine is the JVC AV-32F802 -- I'Art Real Flat TV. I have noticed bowing on most widescreen items, such as commercials, dvd's, pretty much everything...I guess this is a defect with the jvc product..but I'm messed up in what to do, should I return it? or try going into the service menu...which I have tried..but to no avail...

8. Jael

Jael Agent

Pop in a DVD with the THX Optimode tools (or AVIA/Video essentials is even better) and take a look at their geometry test screens. With my JVC set the bowing was assymetrical leaving me with no adjustment options (even in the service menu). If, however, your bowing is symetrical you may be able to fix it via the service menu to your satisfaction.

Best of luck!

9. Scott_F_S

Scott_F_S Second Unit

Thanks for all your input. On the JVC, the lines were bowed on both top and bottom. On the Panny, it's only bowed on the top half of the screen. Bottom seems to be perfectly straight. I'm still trying to decide whether to return it or not. But it's almost to the point where I'm used to it, and otherwise, it's a fine set for its price. So maybe I'll just live with it until I upgrade to HDTV.