What's new

Bourne Identity Trailer - Oh PLEASE!!!!! (1 Viewer)

Keith Enright

Auditioning
Saw the trailer for this movie this weekend. Not my kind of movie, but since Doug Liman is directing and Franka Potente is starring, I am torn.
But wow, is the trailer an :rolleyes:
Only seconds after registering that the movie did indeed star my beloved "Lola Rennt" star, the preview kicks in with MUSIC from said Lola soundtrack, and THEN they show her running down the street with the blurred background.
At that point I would not have been surprised if they CGI'd her hair red for the trailer!
Funny though. Most people would not even catch the references to her earlier movie, and yet for me, it made me distrust this new movie completely.
Keith

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
The major problem for me, is I don't buy Matt Damon as a badass at all. He is not convincing to me as some martial arts bad dude.

Richard WWW

Stunt Coordinator
I liked the trailer. I liked the look of the film. I'm not a big Ludlum fan, and have not read the book, but the trailer will get me in the door. I think Bourne Identity looks a whole heck of a lot better than Sum of all Fears.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
The trailer is great, IMO. I love this kind of movies, the techno-heavy thrillers. I think Damon will fit the role perfectly, at least judging by the trailer.

Keith Enright

Auditioning
Well, like I said, Doug Liman and Franka Potente will probably get my butt in a seat, but I still don't trust a trailer that is so obviously trading on another movie when the the connection is not even there!
And Terrell, I may not be that up on my Robert Ludlum, but where did you get the idea that Matt Damon was playing a martial arts dude? If it was in the trailer I was too busy catching all the Lola Rennt references. Another mark of a bad trailer! Remind me of a old movie and I don't remember the new movie you want me to see!!!!!!
But like I said, this is not my kind of movie. I saw this trailer in front of "About A Boy" and all I really want to do is see THAT movie again!! ;)

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
I read the book many years ago and found it to be rather thin and poorly written, Don't see why so many years later they would want to make a movie based on it (I believe one was already done back in the eighties, with Richard Chamberlain anyhow)

Unless the story has been tooled up, I don't recall it being a very techno-heavy thriller, but more of a straight up spy story with a main character who has amnesia.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
I kinda liked this trailer, but I gotta agree that Matt Damon is about as intimidating as a tub of Lowfat Cool-Whip.
Liman has earned my benefit of the doubt, so I'm hoping The Bourne Identity is a fun ride.

Mitch Stevens

Supporting Actor
I also have very high expectations for this movie, just from seeing the trailer. To me, it looks like it will be a fun roller-coaster ride action/thriller, and I can't wait to see it.

Coressel

Supporting Actor
When I saw this trailer, somebody behind me mumbled "Memento for Dummies..."
I just about fell out of my chair! :D

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
According to Imdb "The Bourne Identity" was made into a TV movie in 1988. Go here:
Link Removed
I wonder if this is the first time a TV film was remade into a theatrical one. Most of the times it's the other way around I think.
Funny comment on "Momento" but in fact this story came first. The man in danger because of amenesia is an old plot device.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I read the book a long time ago, never finished it. It's no techno thriller, simply a good old spy story set in europe. I am in!

--

Holadem

John_VI

Second Unit
Gotta agree with those who think this one will be a snorer. Damon is NOT my idea of Jason Bourne - of course, neither was Richard Chamberlain! I did read the book years ago and do not remember a lot of tech stuff in the book. Bourne is supposed to be a master of all things spy-related (disguise, martial arts, etc...) but with no idea why.

But when the the book ever stop Hollywood from modifying the story (re: SOAF)!!! LMAO!!

I think I'll skip this one, maybe catch it on HBO in six months (or less).

Ross Williams

Supporting Actor
found it to be rather thin and poorly written
These types of books usually make the best adaptions. The well written ones, are usually too difficult to do well.

I'm looking forward to this simply because of the director, Doug Liman. Swingers and Go are two great films. I love Franka too. I'm indifferant towards Damon.

I must not have seen the Lola trailer. I didn't get that feeling at all from the one I saw.

Marko_J

Agent
Hi
greetings to everyone on this board. As you can see it's my first post, but I plan to be her from now on.
I'm form croatia and so please bear with me and my spelling...
Now on this movie - I was a BIG fan of Ludllum some 6-7 years ago. He was allways much better than Clancy to me, but Clancy had better stories for movies... Now I know that Bourne is no martial arts master and that this is no techno-thriller (I hope it stays that way). I realy liked the first version adn I hope that this one will be even better... By the way I think that the first version was a mini-series as it lasted for 3-4 hrs.
Bye ;)

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Actually I think Damon is almost typecast for a guy who can change identity and do other "normal" spy work (ie, not kung-fu, etc).

Think about it - Ocean's 11 he has go undercover AND is a master pickpocket. Mr. Ripley he has to take the identity of another character, not to mention comitting and hiding several murders.

And we buy him as mega-smart Will Hunting (who happens to enjoy a good fist fight too).

Even his master card player was making his way with BS and being able to read other people.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Good point.

I just can't imagine him really getting into a kickass fight.

Marshall Alsup

Second Unit
Well looks like I'm in the minority but I'm looking foward to this flick. I'd never heard of it until I saw the trailer and I thought it looked cool. But, I dig spy movies so maybe I'm biased.

-Marshall

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks