Bourbon recommendations

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Wade, Jan 4, 2005.

1. Wade

Wade Stunt Coordinator

I've never really been a hard liquor drinker but here lately I've been enjoying some straight up bourbon. I'm not one to do shots but I enjoy sipping on it. It may take me an hour or more to finish a neat double shot drink. I enjoy it for the flavor and am not looking to get drunk. Although an occasional buzz is okay [​IMG]

I finished off a bottle of Knob Creek and tapped into a bottle of Maker's Mark over the holidays. I would probably buy both again but I believe I prefer the Knob Creek over Maker's. The Maker's has a smooth flavorful start to it but finishes kind of flat and dry. The Knob Creek has a starting bite but finishes with a good flavor.

I'm thinking about picking up a bottle of Wild Turkey (101 or Russell's Reserve) or Jim Beam Black next. What others would you recommend for a newbie bourbon drinker?

Wade

2. DougR

DougR Second Unit

3. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

I enjoy sipping Crown Royal Special Reserve.

4. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

A nice drink—but not a Bourbon.

5. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

I prefer the Maker's Mark, but have had the Jim Beam, and it is quite good. Also, Lew is right, as usual. Crown Royal is a blended Canadian Whiskey. Bourbon is "officially" only made in Bourbon County, KY from a corn mash base. Some other American corn mash whiskeys can lay claim to being bourbon-like, but the real stuff originates in and around Bourbon (Canadian Whiskey is right out cause it is a grain whiskey, no corn = no Bourbon).

6. Marc_Sulinski

Marc_Sulinski Supporting Actor

I have always liked Knob Creek as well. I also really liked the Elija Craig 18 year old. It is a little pricey (~$40) but very good. Blantons also seems to be a favorite among Bourbon drinkers, but is even more expensive than the Elija Craig 18.

As for the Wild Turkey and Jim Beam, I think you will be a little disappointed with these after the Makers Mark and Knob Creek.

7. Denward

Denward Supporting Actor

For an excellent, but expensive bourbon, find some Pappy Van Winkle. Buy the most aged bottle you can afford.

For normal, everyday sipping (not that I sip everyday, hic!), I like Woodford Reserve.

I think that the starting bite you're getting from Knob Creek is due to the high alcohol content. Its 100 proof is higher than most. If you want the taste without the bite, just splash a little water into it.

8. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

I agree, although the Jim Beam is good for what it is (correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe I saw it on the History Channel that Knob Creek is a top shelf type bourbon from the Jim Beam distilleries). Wild Turkey 101 is, shall we say, harsh and is only really good for getting very drunk very fast. My dad had a taste for bourbon and kept a commemorative crystal bottle of Wild Turkey around, but since he didn't like getting drunk all that much, it was still about 3/4 full when he died.

Although mainly a scotch and vodka imbiber, I like bourbon and Maker's Mark is a good, moderately priced, quality one . I like some in my coffee every Christmas Eve as a tribute to my dad. I'll have to try some of the single cask types sometime to see what I'm missing.

9. Wade

Wade Stunt Coordinator

Knob Creek is part of the Small Batch collection produced by Jim Beam.

Straight Bourbon appears to have a pretty good forum as well as some good bourbon information. I found this site last night after doing a quick bourbon search on Yahoo.

I'm going to have to hit up some liquor stores around here to find a couple that you guys listed. The grocery stores near by carry more of the standard brands, but I can get Woodford and even Booker's there if I wanted.

Thanks for the recommendations.

Wade

10. Daren Welsh

Daren Welsh Supporting Actor

In a trip to KY, I picked up a couple bottles of stuff I couldn't find around here. I really liked one called "1892". There was probably more to the name, but I can't remember and don't have the bottle.

11. SarahG

SarahG Second Unit

The one I was going to suggest. My uncle introduced me to this.

12. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

Woodford Reserve is great. I love Maker's Mark. Not too fond of Jim Beam. Haven't had Knob Creek in a while.

Avoid Heaven Hill like the plauge.....

13. Jeffrey N

Jeffrey N Extra

Some excellent suggestions above. Let me add a few of my faves, some of which have also were mentioned already

Blantons
    Bookers
    Knob Creek
    Basil Haydens

For a cheap one, I've enjoyed many a bottle of Henry Mckenna in my younger years.

14. Jim Sentry

Jim Sentry Stunt Coordinator

Wow I thought the only Bourbon was Jack Daniells. And, its not even mentioned.

Educate me guys!

15. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

16. Jim Sentry

Jim Sentry Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Jeff, I've been educated.

17. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

No problem. Even my dad (see above) referred to Jack Daniels as Bourbon, until someone from Kentucky corrected him. Give real Bourbon a taste, it really is different from Jack Daniels, due to the charcoal filtering. Even if Jack was Kentucky made, I'd hesitate to call it Bourbon after comparing it to the real thing. They really are different (not Scotch vs. Vodka different. More like Scotch vs. Irish Whiskey different).

18. Wade

Wade Stunt Coordinator

I couldn't get the Elijah Craig 18yo but I was able to pick up a bottle of the12yo stuff. I must say that this is not to my liking so far. I've tried it a few times now, twice neat and once with a single ice cube. The ice made it a little better but not by much. There is a strange aftertaste that I don't really care for. I'll try it with a splash of water to see if this helps to bring out any of the other flavors.

I'm finishing off the bottle of Maker's and I must say that I'm liking this better the more I drink it. It's smooth and has a musty flavor that I kind of like. The only thing about this one is the flavor doesn't stay around very long meaning I'll probably drink it faster. This is one I can see keeping around for the everyday drink or occasional mix. Sam's Club sells the 1.75l for $30 so I may pick this one up again sometime. For my next venture I may try another wheated bourbon from the W.L. Weller line. Most likely the 12yo as this one appears to be rated pretty good.

Wade

19. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

It's not bourbon but I like Old Grand-Dad.

How about Early Times!! That's an old favorite of mine from when I was in college.

20. Wade

Wade Stunt Coordinator

I believe Old Grand Dad is a bourbon. The 114 proof version is supposed to be good and it probably packs a pretty good punch.

Wade