What's new

Bourbon Anyone? (1 Viewer)

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
I have to second Old Forester. I actually prefer the 100 proof, it's a bit smoother in my opinion. Old Forester also produces some more limited batches at a slightly higher price point. The 1897 Bottled in Bond (100 proof) is very good and not too expensive at about $50.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I have to second Old Forester. I actually prefer the 100 proof, it's a bit smoother in my opinion. Old Forester also produces some more limited batches at a slightly higher price point. The 1897 Bottled in Bond (100 proof) is very good and not too expensive at about $50.
My local Kroger liquor store stocks Old Forester. One of these days, I’ll have to get a bottle, and do the Pepsi Challenge with the bottles I have at the house (a lot of Pepsi Challenges to do 😁).

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
A58A717B-8021-4F4A-ACD5-F45A4F2DF78C.jpeg

Distilled in Columbia TN (about 25 miles south of Nashville). 90 proof. Good stuff- a lot less obnoxious than Jack Daniels.

Attachments

• 3AD89EA5-D003-4BD9-AE63-57374AF6E314.jpeg
    3AD89EA5-D003-4BD9-AE63-57374AF6E314.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 44

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
A friend of mine bought this at the distillery and it is marvelous. Full flavor and oh, so smooth. Trouble is, it’s not yet available in AR.
1633198663347.jpeg
1633198688107.jpeg

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I'm just reading this topic for the first time. I'm surprised that anyone is surprised that Costco carries some high-end liquor choices. It varies by store/location but Costco is a great source of some terrific bargains (including wine).

I prefer Scotch. From time to time, Costco carries a Kirkland brand single malt that is the bargain of the century, as far as I'm concerned. They've had both 20-year and 22-year. I believe the 20-year was around $58 and the 22-year was around $70 or so. They are both fabulous!

i-dBp73F8-X3.jpg

They usually carry one or the other around the holidays. I check on every visit, my 22-year is almost gone now. :(

Mark

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
@Mark Booth I went into our new Costco’s liquor store and was surprised by how small it is and how Kirkland dominated the store. I expected it to be a “liquor and wine store.” In the months leading up to the opening the distributors and liquor stores fought it tooth and nail. They were very up front that they didn’t want competition. It may be possible that Costco watered down what it would offer to please local authorities.

I’ll look for these the next time we’re at costco. Are either of them peaty or smoky. I like that.\

I wonder if there’s any indication of the distiller on the back label?

Last edited:

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
@Mark Booth I went into our new Costco’s liquor store and was surprised by how small it is and how Kirkland dominated the store. I expected it to be a “liquor and wine store.” In the months leading up to the opening the distributors and liquor stores fought it tooth and nail. They were very up front that they didn’t want competition. It may be possible that Costco watered down what it would offer to please local authorities.

I’ll look for these the next time we’re at costco. Are either of them peaty or smoky. I like that.\

If you like peaty Scotch, try Oban.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member

Both the Kirkland 20 and 22 were sourced through independent bottler Alexander Murray. Neither Costco or AM will reveal which distillery was the source (and are probably contractually forbidden to do so). I've read that the 20 and 22 were sourced from two different Speyside distilleries. I've also read that future iterations may come from completely different Speyside distilleries.

They are only very lightly peaty/smoky. I've read that they were aged in Bourbon barrels before being finished in Sherry barrels (as stated on the bottle). Both are slightly sweet. I find the 22 year has slightly less tongue burn (even though both have the same alcohol content). The 22 is smoother and has a bit more caramel. The 22 also has a bit more of a peppery finish too, which is something I like.

The 20 was available in 2018. The 22 was available in 2019. Costco also sold a 23-year version in 2020 but I never purchased a bottle. I am hoping Costco has a new iteration available for the forthcoming holidays.

I purchased 4 bottles of the 20-year when it was available. The next year I saw the 22-year and grabbed one of those. When I went back for more, it was all gone. :( If I see a new iteration this season, I will buy 4-5 bottles from the get-go. :)

Mark

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I just made an interesting discovery- the Heaven’s Door that I praised last week-
I don’t like it as much today, likely because I didn’t have any drinks before tasting it just now. Seems that, if you’re going to sample anything, start with a clean palette
to have proper prospective.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I opened up my bottle of Old Forrester tonight (to make a Manhattan). I gave it a quick taste before mixing the drink, and that is a quite nice, affordable bourbon! Much better to my taste than Jim Beam.

I’ve got to sample the Monkey Shoulder I bought (for a mixing whiskey, to be able properly do bourbon and rye drinks).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks