Bought tv in Germany. Will it work in the US? (Hz related)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Adam Bluhm, Feb 7, 2003.

1. Adam Bluhm

Adam Bluhm Supporting Actor

My brother is in Germany with the National Guard and he is due to be home hopefully by the first week of March.

He purchased a Samsung ~27" DVD combo television over there. I'm not sure of the model number. He's not real electronic savvy, but he said the volt issue won't be a problem. It has a range and will work over 120V. However, it's specification on Hz is 50.

I was aware that our tv's worked on 60 Hz and that is also the specification for my Sony Wega.

Will he have problems with that tv if he brings it back to the US? He'd just like to know whether he should sell it or mail it home. He needs to know soon. [​IMG]

Thanks.

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Don't forget the DVD player will probably be locked to Region 2

50Hz ain't gonna happen. Tell him to look for mention of "PAL 60" in his manual. If it's not there he probably has to sell it

3. Mike Gl

Mike Gl Stunt Coordinator

My understanding is that the AC current will be rectified to DC by the power supply in the set. Even the DVD player likely uses DC motors so the speed is not affected by the hz of the current. If it will operate on U.S. voltage (may be slightly lower than 120 V), then whether it is 50 or 60 hz current will not matter and it will operate in the U.S. He may need an adapter plug.

Another issue is whether this is an NTSC (U.S. standard set)or PAL (European set). The manual for the set should indicate which standard.

Finally, he should check if it is a Region 1 DVD player. The DVDs he rents or buys in Europe should indicate the region. If he buys DVDs at a PX these are likely Region 1. If he buys DVDs in public stores in Germany, these would be Region 2.

Regards,
    Mike

4. Adam Bluhm

Adam Bluhm Supporting Actor

Thanks for the info, fellas. Hopefully he'll call today.

He does buy his DVD's from the PX. I didn't think to ask him about region 1/2. I'll double check those things with him.