What's new

Bought the Samsung TXL3676 .... very nice! (1 Viewer)

Jason Hammerly

Supporting Actor
I needed an interim set for the next few years until the HDTV standard is settled on. Got this thing yesterday at American TV for $623 after taxes. Wow, it's a great 36" TV with a component input for that price. It does the squeeze thing from the remote and dvd's look fantastic, even with my composite cable. Calibrated it before I watched dvd. Anybody looking for an analog direct view, jump on this one. The only drawback is the bubble tube, but it doesn't bother me at all. My Directtv looks great to. Love this set and just wanted to pass along my findings. Later all.

Jason

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Congrats Jason, I've always been a big Samsung fan & for the features, price & picture quality I don't think you can beat Samsung. Read a couple of years ago that Samsung was the 10th largest tv company in the world & that by 2005 they wanted to be the 5th largest company so I guess there on a roll! I think you made a smart choice & that's what I would have done too :emoji_thumbsup: Enjoy your new set :D

Eric Brian

Agent
Hey Jason,

Does this model really do the 16:9 squeeze?? I looked at the brochure on Samsungs site and it shows a "Zoom" mode that "makes the image fill the screen for DVD widescreen viewing", but no mention of the squeeze. Can you (or anyone else) confirm this?? Thanks for your help.

EB

Jason Hammerly

Supporting Actor
It without a doubt does the squeeze. If your player is set to output a 16"9 image, you just hit the picture size button on the remote and it squeezes that image to the 16:9 aspect ratio and it looks awesome. You can tell it's working not only visually but also when you adjust brightness and contrast it doesn't affect the black bars top and bottom. I just hooked up everything via decent S-video cables, and it looks much better than when I used composite cables. It really can't believe that too many analog sets look that much better than this one. After calibrating it's great! Anyway, you can tell that I am fully anamored with my $600 ananlog set. I'm going to go back to watching my James Taylor dvd. Later. :emoji_thumbsup:

Eric Brian

Agent
Thanks for the info. I may go down to my local Sears and take a look at one. Sears is the only store in my area that stocks them (no Best Buy etc.). They don't list the TXL3676 on the web site, only the TXL3276 model but I'll see what they have. Wish I knew it did the squeeze before. Probably would have picked one up on the last 0% interest sale they had. Still hoping Sears will stock the new TXM series but no word yet. Thanks again for the info.

EB

Michael Johnston

Stunt Coordinator
I just bought the 32" version (TXL3276). It is a great set, but it does have a couple of issues that I think you all should be aware of before bringing home a 110+ lb. set.
1) While it does allow you to switch between component and S-Video connections for video, audio input 2 is shared for these two inputs. If you use a receiver for audio this shouldn't be a problem. Otherwise, you will have problems (e.g. DirecTV sound while viewing a DVD).
What really pisses me off is that I emailed Samsung about this issue prior to purchase and they told me it would work without switching cables. I actually wasn't planning on using a receiver with the set as I have a receiver and front projector setup in another room. It was mainly to be used for TiVo and background DVD commentary track watching while doing other things around the house.
Now if I keep the set, I am stuck with downgrading one of the connections or switching cables.:angry: :angry:
Jason--I take it you have not tried the component connection yet?
2) I am having major problems getting my Tivo remote to control the volume on the set. I have tried all the codes listed and only one works at all. The power and mute buttons work fine, but the volume only works partially.
I know this is most likely a problem with the TiVo remote programming, but it is not fixable. Since I refuse to give up TiVo, I have to use the Samsung remote for volume and the TiVo remote for other functions.
Other than that, it is a great set for the money.
Michael

Eric Brian

Agent
Hey Michael,

Jason says his TXL3676 does the 16:9 squeeze trick. Does your 32" model do the same?? Is it available on the remote??

Anyone know when/if there will be replacements for these models that may address the input/output sharing issue??

I wish they would make a 32"-36" version of the TXM2792F. That would be ideal for me. I've looked on Samsungs site and they have no info...yet. Thanks for you help.

EB

Michael Johnston

Stunt Coordinator
Eric,

My 32" set definately does the squeeze trick via a remote button or through the regular menu. The user manual is the same for both sets, so I would imagine the only difference between Jason and my set is the size.

I paid $499 at Sears...but I had to call 5 different stores to find one in stock. None of the other chain stores around seemed to carry this model. I am sure a new model will come out soon, but I am not so sure if the squeeze feature will still be on the remote.

Michael

CraigL

Screenwriter
I am receiving this model today!!!

I cannot wait but I do have a couple of questions:

Are we sure this model has component inputs? I looked at the back of it on the display model and it didn't have it. It DID do the squeeze tho. Can anyone let me know if it does? All i saw was a monitor out and 2 in's plus an S-video.

Is there a good way of calibrating it? Any recommendations?

Michael Johnston

Stunt Coordinator
CraigL,
Are you sure you were looking at a TXL model? It appears that there is also a TXK version of the set out there without component ins. The owners manual covers 4 sets (TXK and TXL for both 32" and 36") and clearly mentions the component ins are for the TXL only.
Michael

CraigL

Screenwriter
ahhhhhhhhhhh.......
You know what??? I got the TXK version. :frowning:
Well...i guess there's nothing I can do about it now. :frowning:
Wow i'm so aggravated.
Is there a huge difference between the two? I really wanted that one because i have an S-VHS and DVD player.
Ugh....

Eric Brian

Agent
Hey again,

Talked with Samsung this morning to ask about this model and the new TXM2792F replacement for the very popular TXL2791F. Wanted to know when the TXM will be available and if there is a 32" or 36" model in this series in the works. They said they do not get any "advance information" regarding any of their products. What goes up on the web site is what is currently available. But they went on to say that the TXM would be available within a couple weeks.

Also asked if there is a replacement planned for the TXL3276. They did not have any information available on a replacement for the 3276. But for $479 plus an additional 10% off at Sears till June 1st, I just might go for it...as long as they have any.

EB

CraigL

Screenwriter
Good News!

I got to switch my tv.

Due to the company's screw up, it was not delievered yesterday...

I am now getting the TXL model.

Does anyone know the specific differences between the two?

thanks!

Brice

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone know if the 25" Samsung does the anamorphic squeeze trick? The model # is TXM2556 for the newest one. I am looking for a simple (cheaper) television and would just like to know.

Bill Will

Screenwriter
From what I've read, but don't hold me to it, ALL Samsung tv's 20 inch & up Flat Tube or Regular Tube will do the "Squeeze Trick" You might want to give Samsung a call though just to make sure on the 25 inch model at 1-800-SAMSUNG

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks