Bought the Roger Waters *In The Flesh -- Live* SACD. It's a must-have!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KeithH, Dec 3, 2001.

1. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

I picked up the Roger Waters In The Flesh -- Live SACD yesterday, and let me tell you this is one great album. It's a two-disc set and has both stereo and multi-channel SACD tracks. I found it at Circuit City for only $28.99. I may be a bit pre-mature in posting my thoughts, but I like what I have heard so far. I listened to all of disc one and part of disc two in stereo last night and was blown away by the sound. Great separation between instruments and vocals and great soundstage. This is an excellent live recording. Of course, the music is great too. I don't have the CD version, so I can't really comment on how good the SACD is in relative terms. Again, all I can say is that I like what I heard last night. I'll post more thoughts as I listen to the stereo track again tonight, and I'll try to listen to the multi-channel track tonight as well. Also, I will probably pick up the CD for the car and will try to post some thoughts on how the CD and SACD compare. In any event, if you have an SACD player and want to hear some Pink Floyd classics on SACD, In The Flesh -- Live is a great pick-up. Frankly, it's a must-have!

2. Jeff Williams

Jeff Williams Stunt Coordinator

I picked up the Roger Waters SACD last week, so I've had some time to listen to it. The multi-channel mix is great. It is very realistic. The surrounds are used for ambience and give the recording nice depth. I saw Roger in concert about 5-6 years ago. I can say that the SACD really brings the performance back to life. The bass is also jaw-dropping. It is very deep and clean. Remeber when you listen to the multi-channel, set the speaker size to small. There is no seperate LFE channel. There also is no center channel. Strange, but I don't mind. For a live recording, no center makes it sound more realistic. If you don't have this SACD, go get it. Great sound, great performance, and great songs. You can't go wrong.

Jeff

3. DEAN DE FURIA

DEAN DE FURIA Stunt Coordinator

I'm probably in the minority here but, I was not impressed with this disc. I found the multichannel mix boring. Pink Floyd is all about hearing "an event". Ambience mixes don't cut it. If you have ever heard the 70's quadraphonic mixes of WYWH or DSOM, you know what I am talking about. The British 8-track (yes, 8 track) Quad mix is amazing. After listening to it you are involved and "into" the album. "In the Flesh" doesn't have any of this. Nice sound quality, though. MHO.

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Jeff,

You've got me chomping at the bit to listen to the multi-channel mix tonight. Can't wait!

Dean,

As a live album, the use of the surrounds for ambience on In the Flesh -- Live should work well. I hope so.

5. Greg Robertson

Greg Robertson Stunt Coordinator

I'm gonna have to go ahead and agree with ya. But mostly because I love Pink Floyd/Roger Waters. The surround mix is mostly 2 channel with the very occasional 'effect' thrown into the surround channels, plus ambience. But moreso my main beef with it is that I found it was sonically lacking compared to a much older live album, Gratitude by EW&F.
    On another note about the disc, it will only play about half the time on my Sony CE775 sacd player. I also know that I'm one of many people who is having troubles. I mean cmon sony, you even released the album for cryin out loud.. [​IMG] It seems that getting another copy won't change a thing.

6. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Greg, your observation of problems playing In the Flesh -- Live on the 'CE775 is most disturbing. Do you have problems playing the stereo track or the multi-channel track or both? If so, what is the nature of the problem? Skipping? Is it an inability of the 'CE775 to read the TOC? I've played parts of the stereo track on my 'C333ES and 'C555ES without any problems. The 'C555ES cued up the multi-channel track by default last night (it always chooses the multi-channel track by default), but I played the stereo track.

7. Michael_T

Michael_T Second Unit

8. DEAN DE FURIA

DEAN DE FURIA Stunt Coordinator

Greg,

I share your opinion on "Gratitude". Man, is that one a surprise! Great sound, fantastic surround mix, ear candy!

The studio tracks are the best is all regards, IMO.

9. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Michael, thanks for clarifying the issue with In the Flesh -- Live and the 'CE775. It's funny, but the first time I played the SACD, I loaded it into the 'C333ES in my second system. I immediately noticed that the time required to read the TOC was inordinate. In fact, I commented to my girlfriend as we were waiting to play disc 1, and she commented how she had never seen the 'C333ES take so long to read the TOC. It felt like I was using my '777ES. [​IMG] In any event, I have not gotten a TOC error on the 'C333ES or 'C555ES with these discs, yet. I loaded the two discs into the 'C555ES for the first time last night, and did not notice if it took longer than usual to read the TOC.
    I did not look at the matrix codes to see that In the Flesh -- Live is a dual-layer release, but it makes sense given the length of the program. Does this mean that we will never see this title as a one-sided hybrid CD/SACD? I have not heard of SACD being able to offer a three-layer disc. In all the schematics I have seen of CD/SACD hybrids, the stereo and multi-channel SACD tracks are always shown on one layer. I imagine to release a hybrid CD/SACD in this case, the CD layer might have to be on the other side of the disc.

10. RicP

RicP Screenwriter

11. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Ric, I realize that Sony has not released any SACD/CD hybrids thus far and has not announced the release of any either. However, I was asking my question with regards to the Waters disc from a theoretical standpoint. In other words, what if Sony were to release an SACD/CD hybrid version of In the Flesh -- Live? How might they do it?

12. Greg Robertson

Greg Robertson Stunt Coordinator

Keith, it's a TOC read error. Just the same as Michael described. I've also noticed that if I've had the player running for a while, it has less luck playing the discs, where even ejecting the drawer won't help. (at which point I just give up and go to sleep [​IMG])
    I thought it looked like a dual-layer disc (It has a goldish tint like dvd dual layers). Too bad because I don't have the cd equivalent and would love to jam to this in my car.
    Edit: Keith, since the cd portion has to be on it's own layer, that would mean knocking out one of the sacd mixes. Probably the multichannel. Isn't it a requirement that all sacds have a stereo track?
    Oh Btw, listening to it right now, in the middle of Dogs...Stone...stone..stone... [​IMG]

13. RicP

RicP Screenwriter

14. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

15. David Schamis

David Schamis Stunt Coordinator

Has anyone figured out a solution to this problem, or has Sony done anything about it?

Its really making me nuts - I go out and spend good money on the 555ES SACD player, and I can listen to RW 1/10 tries!

David

16. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

David, I understand your frustration, but the fault here lies in the Roger Waters discs, not the 'C555ES. My 'C555ES has not had problems with any other discs I have tried (CDs or SACDs), and others have reported problems with the Waters discs in the 'CE775 and 'C222ES. Maybe Sony will find a bug in the pressing of the Waters discs. Look on the bright side. At least the problem lies in a $29 software release and not in your $800 player. [​IMG]