Bought "The Amityville Collection" Blind - Are the Movies Any Good

Discussion in 'DVD' started by WillG, Apr 10, 2005.

1. WillG

WillG Producer

I was at Costco and I saw the Amityville Collection for about $23. Figured it was not a bad price for 3 movies and an exclusive disc. I picked it up because I have learned many times that things often dissappear from Costco's shelves rather quickly. I have been curious about these movies but have never seen them. Are they any good (Relatively speaking of course, for the genre)? I read the reviews on www.dvdmg.com. And they were not very good, but I wanted to get some other opinions.

2. Thomas T

Thomas T Cinematographer

Honestly? No.

The first Amityville has the sheen of an A film including an Oscar nominated score by Lalo Schifrin (reputedly using elements of his The Exorcist score tossed out by William Friedkin) but it's a pretty silly movie. Amityville 3D is probably most notable as an early pre stardom Meg Ryan vehicle.

I'm sure the series has its share of admirers amonst the horror genre cult contingent though.

3. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

I'm not sure if this statement should offend me or not. Did you think my reviews were bad, or are you saying that I didn't like the movies? (Which I didn't - they stink!)

4. WillG

WillG Producer

Colin, I should have clarified that. I was referring to your opinions of the films, not the reviews themselves. Sorry

5. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

i have a nostalgic affection for the first film- but watching it again just the other night, i can honestly say i actually like the thing- apart from nostalgia.
    i think the first hour of it is very effective.
    i will admit that it descends into silliness in the last act (1/2 hour), but some of the build up is quite decent from a B movie stand point.

not as good as the book is, but not quite as bad as everyone like to say it is.

II i saw at the theater and it just seemed exploitative and scummy to me- it has a lot of fans- probably more than the first, because of these qualities though.

III i've never had any interest in seeing.

i do wish i had bought the boxset instead of just the first film now, though.
    after watching the movie i would have loved to see the two specials on the bonus disc.
    i just didn't think at the time it was worth an extra $15 (since i didn't care about the other two films, or need the theater ticket).

6. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    As a haunted house genre buff, i've always enjoyed these films.

They just plain don't make them like this anymore, they use silence and suggestion to scare you, they use music and mood to unsettle you. All one needs to do is remember back to the days when they were little and talking about the one scary house on the block that all you friends swore was haunted...these films take you inside that one house and speaks to that fear.

Ignor the fanfare surrounding the supposed true story of the Lutz family and just let the films themselves take you. The camera work, music, acting (which is not as bad as many say it is) all add up to a rather seductive, hypnotic and scary experience. There are also some rather shocking moments that happen in part 2 that will give you goosebumps! [​IMG]

You made a good call picking these up. [​IMG]

7. Rob P S

Rob P S Screenwriter

rob
    Can't comment on the sequels, but the first one is pretty fun for what it is.

8. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I just watched the original tonight and I was surprised that I enjoyed it way more than I ever had before.

Something tells me that my bad memories of Amityville 3-D are accurate though[​IMG]

9. Everett Stallings

Everett Stallings Supporting Actor

Everett
    The first one was a big hit. I did not care for it.[​IMG]