Bought speakers now need a receiver

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by DrewGoodson, Aug 19, 2004.

1. DrewGoodson

DrewGoodson Auditioning

Mar 30, 2004

Here's my deal, this past spring I bought a pair of JBL e 80's and an HK 230 to power them to what I thought was going to be the start of my home theater set-up. However, when I got my 230 in the mail from an ebay dealer it did not power up, so I returned it and have been stuck finding a new receiver the past couple months. I was sorta zoned into hk products but I now have obvious second thoughts, and have looked into many different brands. The ones I am currently considering are the onkyo 501 or 601, the denon 1604, 1804, as I have heard good things about all of these. Anyway I want to get a new receiver soon and if any of you have input into helping me narrow my choice it would be great. Ultimately I don't care too much about specifics about each model but more what would be the best value. Also, I'm open to more suggestions and if anybody can point out good deals currently that would be great. My original budget was $600 and after spending $350 on the speakers and wire that leaves me with approximately $250-300. Thanks for your input.

Also, I saw a Denon 3803 on ubid for around 200, I don't know if it will stay that low (the auction ends today) and it only has a 90 day warranty ( I can add a 1 year for 36 bucks), but is it worth it if i can get it under $300?
  2. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Feb 9, 2004
    Considering the 3803 retailed at 1000$ less than a year ago, I'd say it's a good deal, as long as it has no problems.
  3. EGM

EGM Stunt Coordinator

Dec 14, 1998
    For your price range, Denon's 1604 would be good match. I don't know if you have an Tweeters where you live, but they are clearing them out for $228 out the door, brand new.

I just sold my buddy my old speakers after an upgrade and he got the 1604 last week. For a budget receiver, it sounds great. I believe it retailed before for around $399.

If you don't have Tweeters around you, see if the local Denon retailer will match the price.