Bought some Superbit titles this weekend and ...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by chris larralde, Sep 9, 2002.

1. chris larralde

chris larralde Stunt Coordinator

... they look awesome!!!

On my 92" wide front projection system the video quality easily surpassed the original releases. I bought Fifth Element, Desperado, and Anaconda.

I also went through all of my disks and wrote down reference scenes (to show off to friends) and noticed that the Superbit titles had the most 3-D appearance. They were also the most film like.

The only other one that came really close was Blade II, and I've heard that it has a bit rate in the 8's, which kind of qualifies it as Superbitesque.

I have no problem double dipping after my viewing experience this weekend.

But I have to agree that they are probably a waste unless you have the equipment to resolve the extra detail.

chris

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I had Anaconda SB in my hands the other day but I put the box back. How is it?

3. chris larralde

How is it? It's a guilty pleasure that's for sure LOL! [​IMG]
    The picture quality is really smooth. Not as vibrant as Fifth Element . I would even say it's a tad soft. But on my screen it still looked very 3-D. All the Superbit titles make me forget that I'm watching a DLP.

4. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Given that Blade 2 has English 2.0,5.1,DTS and 2 commentary tracks, no wonder it's up around 8

5. DeepakJR

DeepakJR Second Unit

Dont forget the DD 5.1 isolated score on Blade II. I guess the bitrate should b around 9-10. Shame on you Newline..[​IMG] [​IMG]
    l8rz,
    Deepak Jr.

6. Ned

Ned Supporting Actor

I got A Knight's Tale Superbit the other day. It's much sharper than the original release and has a lot more detail than most dvd's.

Glad I didn't buy this movie when it first came out. How did I know?

7. Michael St. Clair

My HD set isn't the best HD set on the market as far as resolution goes, but it has no problem resolving virtually the full 720x480 resolution of DVD with a proper player. Anybody who can't see the difference between the Superbit and regular version of the same disc has no business reviewing DVDs!

8. Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette Cinematographer

9. Tom-G

Tom-G Screenwriter

Tom G
    I'm purchasing the Superbit titles because of the DTS tracks moreso than for the picture. I only have The Fifth Element, but I plan on purchasing some of the others. I am an audiophile and I love the DTS tracks!

10. chris larralde

I'm watching (regular version) of Knights Tale as we speak! I figured if I liked it, I would pick up the Superbit version.

How is Gattaca as a movie? I think I totally missed the boat on this one ... don't even know what it's about!

11. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

The improvements made possible by the Superbit transfers are evident even on much humbler equipment than front-projection systems. I consider them a good investment. It shows integrity when a studio demonstrates such commitment to high-quality video.

12. Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette Cinematographer

13. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John

I like it quite a bit, but it is a matter of taste. Some folks find it slow or dull. It is one I consider a "pure" Science Fiction (let's not get in that argument, though) which is actually the same reason some think it is dull. I just got the SB a couple weeks ago. I didn't have the original. The only other SB I have is The Fifth Element, but my current video equipment can't do anything with it anyway.

14. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

There are a lot of Gattaca haters out there, and a lot of Gattaca lovers. It is one of the best Sci-Fi movies of the past decade I think, mainly because it shows you can have brainy adult sci fi without aliens, big explosions and flying cars. This is a very subdued film.
    I originally had no interest in seeing this film. I thought it sounded stupid, and I HATED Ethan Hawke and Uma Thurman. Well, when it came out on tape(this was before I owned a DVD player) I figured"its free, why not try it. Some critics liked it."
    Well, I may be the only one here who thinks it, but I was absolutely blown away by this film. It is my favorite and best film of 1997(yes, even over LA Confiendtial, Full Monty, As Good as it Gets, and Titanic). Gattaca was a very sad film to me, and very personal. It kinda evoked a reaction in me I didnt expect, and made me an Ethan hawke fan in the process. The main thing that really caught my attention was the score by Michael Nyman. This is one of the best scores in a while in my opinion. Where I could watch the film with only the score and follow each characters emotions...the score speaking things the actors cant. There is only one other film where the music spoke that strongly to me, Edward Scissorhands.

I have the original release of this DVD, since I like the outtakes in it. been broke lately and havent gotten the Superbit, but REALLY want it bad.

15. Jeremy Conrad

Jeremy Conrad Supporting Actor

I just saw a production still from Once Upon a Time in Mexico and I realized that I don't have the Desperado Superbit yet!
    Looks like I'll have to grab that one during the DVD run tomorrow. [​IMG]

16. Terrell

Terrell Producer

I bought Anaconda SB. But I'm not big on SB. I only buy SB DVDs when I don't already own the film. To me it's just another way to make people buy the same DVD over and over, while never announcing it in advance. Do it right to begin with, and SB is not needed. Columbia/Sony is getting a bit ridiculous with this. That said, Anaconda SB looks terrific. My Fifth Element SB looks amazing.

17. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John

That is exactly why I call it a "Pure" Sci-Fi. For me, the best and purest Sci-Fi is mostly about ethics, not space ships and aliens, though they may have them. Gattaca is that.

18. DaveM

DaveM Extra

I too have recently discovered how much better Superbit DVD's are to the original release. I watched Fifth Element one night a few weeks ago and just enjoyed re watching one of my favorite films. The next day, I was walking the DVD section of Best Buy looking for some titles to blow some cash on. I decided to give the Fifth Element Superbit version a chance even though I all ready had the original. I got it home, and threw it in my HTPC. I was just outright amazed at the picture quality compared to the original. The colors were just jumping off of the screen with this release. The DTS track was also great and made a big difference in the movie experience. I had a friend over who also enjoys Fifth Element, and he could not believe the difference either. I am now a believer in Superbit DVD's and plan to purchase other titles in the future. I just wonder what is the quality difference between Superbit DVD's and Criterion?

David

19. wally

wally Second Unit

Bought The Patriot Superbit Deluxe a couple weeks ago. Love it. Fantastic DTS track, Wonderful Picture, and extras on the second disc all for $22. Hope CTHE continues with this great line. Air Force One, Dracula, and rebuy of Hollow Man are on tap.

While I still have a 7 year old 27" TV, doesn't hurt to buy for the future right?

20. David Susilo

David Susilo Screenwriter

I also don't understand why so many people can't see the difference between the two versions. I used to watch them on a 30" 16:9 EDTV and now watching them on my 42" 16:9 HDTV. Both are low-end Samsung 16:9 TVs.

Switching back and forth between Superbit and regular edition, not a single person in my family (including my almost-4 years old daughter) can not distinguish the differece. Even my mom, someone who really extemely very not caring about PQ can see the difference and comments "so why do they release the non-Superbit edition? All DVDs should look like that"