What's new

Bought Progressive Scan....Can't tell a difference!! Help!!! (1 Viewer)

All,

I just purchased a Tosh SD-4700 Progressive Scan DVD player and can't seem to tell a difference from my old non-progressive scan DVD player. Am I stupid?

It's hooked to a Tosh TN-50N81 50" HDTV....My new DST-3000 HD Box looks awesome, so I know the TV isn't whacked. I just can't tell any difference from the old DVD player. Have I not chosen the right setting? This question comes from a guy who went out and bought a new CD player tonight because I thought my old one had gone south Saturday night. Funny thing ,though...The new one didn't play either. That is, until I "unselected" my CD player from being a "digital" component on my new receiver I'm not used to yet. Yes, alcohol may have been a factor. :b

Also, should I go ahead and use the "digital" output on my new CD player that I didn't need? I think my new receiver allows for more than 2 "optical" inputs for audio. (Pioneer Elite VSX-33 TX)

Thanks a million for your expertise and patience with us "semi-newbie" types.

Kevin in Cincinnati

Hi Kevin, I just bought a Tosh 4700 myself on Saturday and have been pleased with it's performance so far. The difference in picture quality between my old and new player is not night and day but there is a difference. I find the picture to be sharper and bright colours really stand out. Detail is also improved over my old player but once again not night and day. I was not unhappy with my old player I just wanted a progressive scan to take advantage of my HDTV. As the previous post states make sure the small button on the back of the machine is set to progressive.

Small button on the back? Guess it's time to break out the manual. I got it late last night and was in a big hurry to plug it in and fire it up.

Geez.... :b

Thanks again. ( I feel stupid )

Now I'm anxious to get home tonight and try it out again.

Dylan Savage

Stunt Coordinator
I just purchased a Tosh SD-4700 Progressive Scan DVD player and can't seem to tell a difference from my old non-progressive scan DVD player. Am I stupid?
LOL - I think they have the solution to your problem.. on my RP56 there is a button you have to push to enable the progressive scan.. I just wanted to say, this made me laugh out loud and everyone in the office stared at me, thanks :)

Jim A. Banville

Supporting Actor
The difference between a decent HDTV's line doubler and a progressive scan DVD player can be hard to see for those not looking for it. Especially if the TV's line doubler has 3:2 pulldown correction. These people reporting HUGE differences either have a TV with a shitty line doubler, like the Mitsubishi's, or have been smoking something :)

Masood Ali

Supporting Actor
Kevin, it's not a small button, but a switch. Default from the factory, it's set on "I"; you have to slide it over to "P", as well as enable progressive through the menu (which I assume you already did), to fully enable progressive scan.

Depending on your TV, the difference should be noticeable on high-contrast edges, vertical/horizontal patterns, and in faster moving action sequences.

Gang,

Thanks for all your help. Yes, I "flipped the switch" and modified the menu, and all is well. The difference isn't as dramatic compared to HDTV vs. non-HDTV, but there is a difference.

I watched T2 for a while, then put in my new Shrek DVD. It looks like disk 2 on Shrek is the only one that will play on my 4:3 Tosh in Letterbox mode. But, I did get it going, and it looks great.

Thanks again everyone.

Kevin

David Judah

Screenwriter
The difference isn't as dramatic compared to HDTV vs. non-HDTV, but there is a difference
We wouldn't expect it to be that dramatic--glad to hear you are happy with your purchase. It will definitely want to make you re-watch a good portion of your DVD collection.

DJ

Jeff D

Supporting Actor
Kevin,

If you're like me and done lots of work with video you'll notice the problems all over the place in interlaced mode. If you are just a "normal" viewer these problems will not even make you look twice.

If you've got Toy Story DVD? If not borrow a copy for this example. I got a sample scene which will demo what Progressive does, and after seeing that you should be able to notice the differences a lot more.

It's early in the movie, righ after the credits, Andy takes Woody and slides him down the stairway arm rail. Andy then spins woody on the recliner, we are getting close... Andy will launch Woody to the arm of the sofa. Best to watch this in interlaced mode first, pause and set that with the remote while in pause. Now, play and watch as the camera pan goes from the wall toward the coffee table. Notice two things... the molding on the wall, it should move while the camera is panning. Next look at the texture on the coffee table, you'll see morie patterns as the camera pans.

Now time to see the difference... replay that same section with progressive enabled. You'll notice the molding should be rock solid, and the woodgrain of the table, it won't make those wild patterns you just saw. Everything should be pretty clean.

Now for the real test... just watch a few movies in interlace. Look for problem scenes. Look at edges and textures and things that create patterns, larger displays make these easier to notice.

Then watch the same scene in progressive. A few of these "problem" scenes and you'll understand why progressive is better.

Another problem scenes are in some Star Trek movie I don't know which. Some scene with haystacks in the begining.

Jim A. Banville

Supporting Actor
it's not necessary to take a swipe at Mitsubishi. Their line doubler is not their strongest feature, but any RPTV, maybe save the Pioneer Elite(depending on the DVD player), can benefit by using a PS DVD player. You can make your point without trying to offend the largest segment of HD RPTV owners.
A- Mitsubishi's have a very poor line doubler in my (and some professional reviewer's) opinion.
B- Pioneer Elite RPTV's (and many of the latest high-end RPTV's from the likes of Sony) may "benefit" from a 480p player, but this difference is so miniscule as to be irrelevant. Other current model TV's from brands like Toshiba and Panasonic may "benefit" more, but to what degree? Not much, in my experience. The built-in line doublers of many current TV's have caught up with the quality of 480p players. Its unfortunate that some people still view the need of a 480p player as an absolute.
C- You own your material things, not the other way around. I.E., one shouldn't be "offended" because someone else has a poor view of some material thing they happened to own (this reminds me of a few of the overly sensitive SVS sub owners when others are critical of their prized "possesion" :frowning:). Oops. Did I offend someone else?
Jim "screw political correctness" Banville :)

David Judah

Screenwriter
C. It helps if someone making a comment is familiar with the product in question, and not just repeating what they've read on the internet.

And it's not about political correctness, it's about tact, Jim.

DJ

Bill Lucas

Supporting Actor
Kevin,

Disc One of Shrek is 4:3. Disc Two is 1.85:1 Anamorphic. That's why Disc One fills your screen. The player can only display the content the DVD provides. Hope this clears up the Disc One, Disc Two thing.

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
Kevin, Kevin, Kevin...boy do I have some great ammunition for when I come to your place tomorrow to watch the Masters in HD!
Bought a new CD player cause you didn't have the old one selected right?? New DVD didn't look any better cause you didn't have progressive scan set right either??
And this is from the same guy that laughs at me while I fumble with 2 or 3 remotes after I've had a few...:rolleyes::laugh:

Jim A. Banville

Supporting Actor
C. It helps if someone making a comment is familiar with the product in question, and not just repeating what they've read on the internet.
I'm VERY familiar with the Mitsubishi RPTV's. I demo'd them extensively when I was considering replacing my older Sony 53HS10. The older Sony's line doubler (without 3:2 pulldown correction!) killed the Mits! Over at the Mits owner forum at hometheaterspot.com it is common knowledge that the line doubler sucks.

David Judah

Screenwriter
I demo'd them extensively when I was considering replacing my older Sony 53HS10
Really? What models were you demoing? Where did you demo them at? What sources were you using? What modes did you have the Mits' in for which different sources? Were they out of the box or were they tweaked?
Or were you just looking at the Platinum series at Sears with a satellite feed that was split to 40 different sets and probably not optimized for the source material you were looking at?
I assume you are aware that Sony and Mitsubishi have two completely different design philosophies and each are not optimized for particular types of material. It's alot like bright or warm speakers.
You may have a particular preference, but that doen't mean the other is "crappy" or "sucks" as you put it. I'll be happy to go into more detail by email, since I don't want to hijack this thread.
I am a member of the Spot, as well, and I think my characterization(ie. not their strongest feature)is more indicative of the sentiment there than "crappy" or "sucks"(please go into more detail if you want to be taken seriously).
Ah, but enough of the tit for tat on the Forum.
David Judah
[email protected](the email in my profile is not updated)

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Kevin:

Another thing to consider, at some point in the future, is to have your TV calibrated by an ISF tech or a tech that knows what he/she is doing. From the people I know that have had this done they have all benefited with a much improved picture.

Parker

Alan Wild

Stunt Coordinator
Speaking as a Mitsubishi RPTV owner....
I think the line doubler stinks. I went out and bought a DVDO Iscan Pro to correct this particuliar problem.
The set, when callibrated, produces one of the best pictures out there and when coupled with a good external line doubler can even beat other, more expensive sets including the Pioneer Elite's.
However, out-of-the-box a Mits needs some tweaking. :)
On the plus side, the tweaks are easy and are well-documented on sites like http://www.hometheaterspot.com and given their price Mits offers one of the best bang-for-the-buck displays around (once callibrated).
However, I'm not so sure I buy into the statement that the RPTV sets line-doublers have caught-up with the good progressive-scan DVD players. Frankly, I think that a progressive-scan player is a must to get the bet picture possible out of your HT.
-Alan

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
A couple of comments on HD Masters coverage! I had the good fortune to be able to watch the Masters with my co-HTF member Kevin yesterday. This is the second HD broadcast that I have watched at Kevin's, the first being the NCAA semifinals. That broadcast was great, not so with the Masters.
First of all let me tell you that Kevin and I have been good friends for over 17 years. There has always been a competetive tone to our friendship, be it on the golf course or in the HiFi-HT area. Well, now that Kevin has upgraded to virtually the same audio system as mine, he now has a definite edge with the video. He bought his new 50" Tosh RPTV a while back, and recently added the Tosh HD box and Tosh progressive scan DVD player. My 40" Mits direct view TV and standard DVD player, that had him beat for about 4 years, has now fallen short.
Now to the Masters HD broadcast. The picture was fantastic. So detailed and crisp looking. On closeups, you could see every dimple on the ball and every spike mark on the green. You could see every bead of sweat on Goosen's face as Tiger started to pull away. And the flowers around the tees and greens, brilliant! But the number of camera angels were limited, and the comentary was way below that of regular CBS standards. On some closeup shots, everything looked squatty.
We watched most of the broadcast on CBS's regular station. But when the leaders finally got to where the HD cameras were, we watched it. I would call the HD broadcast a good supplement to the regular CBS broadcast, but deffinatly not on 'par' as far as content goes.
Kevin did show me what the new progressive scan DVD looked like. In a word, fantastic! I am currently in the hunt for an amp to add to my audio system, then after that, I got to get me a bigger TV!! Great system, Kev!!:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:
P.S. Maybe Kevin would like to share with the group the 20 minute blackout we experienced right in the middle of the final round of the Masters!!:b

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks