Bought New Home with Theater Room... Please help.

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Melissa_, Jul 25, 2005.

1. Melissa_

Melissa_ Auditioning

Hi everyone. First, please bear with me as I'm REALLY new to all of this, but am trying desparately to wrap my brain around it all. [​IMG]

I just purchased a new home with a theater room (20'W x 30'L-approx.). The room has no windows, and has been wired for surround sound and a ceiling mount projector. In the front of the room there is a wall to fit a 100" screen. While this room is by far the most intriguing to me, I also don't want to go broke trying to get it completed! I am looking to "get in the door" with bargin equipment at the present (but still have a great viewing experience) and be able to upgrade later down the road (when $$$ is flowing better).

Any suggestions of equipment that I can research further would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

2. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Tell us what you need and we (well, they [​IMG]) will tell you how to get there.

At the very least, we need to know how much $$$ you're willing to start with.

--
    H

3. Melissa_

Melissa_ Auditioning

Not sure how crazy this amount is, but I was hoping to get everything for about $2,000-2,500. Is that unreasonable, or is it not worth even getting started until I have more $$$ to spend?

I was thinking at a minimum:

Projector w/mount:
    Screen - 100":
    Surround Sound:

4. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

The projector will cost you $1000 - the obvious choice being Infocus 4805 or the equivalent Optoma, BenQ (etc...) models.

The problem is that your room is pretty big, and you're gonna have hard time filling that room with sound on $1500 budget.

I would allocate $1100 for a speaker + sub package from online vendors like Axiom - check the hardware forums.

you should be able to find a decent receiver for $400. Again, the issue is power, so hopefully the speakers you pick are efficient.

If you could stretch you audio side of things to $2000, you could get an SVS sub for $600, $1000 on 5 efficient speakers (Klipsch?) and $400 on the receiver. The SVS sub will go a long way toward creating the impact a dedicated HT room deserves.

I would start a thread in the hardware forums if I were you.

--
    H

5. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

yeah, that's kind of a tight budget, but i think it could be done, but I wouldn't expect the sound to be too revolutionary.

6. MikeGee

MikeGee Second Unit

for 1500$ for sound i'd get the receiver and a good set of 5-7 speakers with no subwoofer until you get the funds to purchase one which is not a big square boom box which is what i'm doing which to me is the right move.
    I have a Pioneer 1014tx receiver with all Athena Audition speakers and they really suit my needs pretty well... Not so good for cd audio but awesome for home theatre.

7. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

The thing is, $1500 would be adequate in most rooms. But 20 x 30 is huge! Given how much more power one needs for an incremental increase in volume (is it 2X for 6dB?), you will be driving receivers in your price range to their limits.

--
    H

8. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

A possiblity to consider at this point is to not occupy the entire room at first.

Start with some seating in the first fifteen feet with the surrounds mounted either on the ceiling, side walls, or on stands, so you're really only 'filling' the first half of the room. The big 'concern' might be the 'empty space' behind the theater, but consider a couple of notes:

1. The audio will fall off, so the return will be deminished.
    2. The audio will 'come back at you' ~30ms delayed after it passes you the first time.
    3. Some very simple room treatments (read: curtains, book-cases) can also seriously attenuate the return from the 'open space.'
    4. This may also be a good space for the 'peanut gallery' - people idly through, those who want to watch while they eat their pizza and chips, and the like.

Me, I'd go with a 3-panel LCD projector (Panasonic AE700) ($2000), 5-6 NHT Super-Ones or SB-2s ($750-900), at least a mid-line player (progressive component from a reputable brand)($