Bought my very first Vinyl today.. Radiohead: Hail to the Theif

Discussion in 'Music' started by NickSo, Jan 2, 2004.

1. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    I've just recently the past few months had a wanting for vinyl records... Just the whole 'niche', oldschool idea of it (esp. with teenagers who nowadays just go onto kazaa for their music fix), the 'different' sound experience, and the big colorful covers just made it so interesting.
    My dad has a decent audio system and a good-sized record collection, so getting into vinyl isn't that hard for me. Unfortunately the weak link in the record part is the record player (A 'Fisher' brand one i think he bought at A&BSound for real cheap)... But the speakers and amp are pretty good.

I was walkin in the mall today, I stroll into HMV to see if I could find a DVD i wanted to buy to use up my gift card on a DVD I returned earlier in the week. Im walk through the DVD section, nothing. I stroll into the next aisle, and take a quick peek at the BOX SET section. TO my surprise, they actually carried a couple of records! As I flipped through... [​IMG] Radiohead: Hail to the theif! Radiohead and the White Stripes have been at the top of my 'vinyl want list' since i had a craving for them. It was, however, $29.99. But i thought 'the hell with it, I got a gift card anyways' (I was comforted a bit more when it rang up at the register at $40.99, but labled $29.99, so they had to give it to me for $29.99). I'd be happier if it was Kid-A rather than HTTF, but hell, im not complaining.

Anyways, moving on to my first true LP experience. I am not sure, but i think its safe to say that even though its a Vinyl, it still came from the same digital master as the CD. I did not expect a HUGE difference in sound.

After listening to it twice, once just casually, and second more focused, I thought i heard that things were more distinguished, seperate insturments and voices were more seperated from one another, easier to isolate. I could hear that 'airy' sound people speak of. At a few points in the music, I felt a 'sense' that the voices were actually live. Or i could just be imagining very, very hard to myself [​IMG]

Anyways, just wanted to share my first real personal LP experience. Now I gotta figure out how to take care of these guys so it wont start popping and crackling on me in the future.

Now to hunt down a copy of ELEPHANT locally [​IMG]

2. Craig: Mclaren

Craig: Mclaren Second Unit

You want the true vinyl experiance forget that Radiohead shit Nick. My mate has been buying tons of 70's soul, funk, jazz LPs. This is what its all about. Trust me. A bit of James Brown, Issac Hayes, Curtis Mayfield etc. Forget Thom Yorke moaning. Lifes too short. Get funky! [​IMG]

3. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

Congrats, young fella!

Don't forget that the crackles and pops are inevitable, and part of the charm [​IMG]

The last "new" vinyl I bought was the Beatles BBC materiel, issued on cd and vinyl, must be 6-7 years ago.

The cover art can be the best difference, I like to leave my antique copy of PETER GUNN lounging around the rec room, just for the atmosphere [​IMG]

4. Andrew O'Brien

Andrew O'Brien Stunt Coordinator

Radiohead are good whatever the disc is made of !

5. Craig: Mclaren

Radiohead are fine circa mid 90's but they ain't anything special now. My advice regarding vinyl is to enjoy it fully don't waste your time with Radiohead, The Strokes, Coldplay or The White Stripes or any "Its cool to like them circa 2003" bands. Hit the classics from the 60's and 70's. Thats all you need. A glass of Jack Daniel's on ice and a good LP. If somethings worth doing its worth doing right! [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Mitch_J

Mitch_J Stunt Coordinator

If you are doing things right, Shouldn't it be Glenfiddich?

7. Craig: Mclaren

You know I've never tryed Glenfiddich. I'm more into American bourbon or cuban rum than the spirits we make over here in bonnie scotland. I did get a bottle of Black label Johnnie Walker for my xmas though. I'll break that in next week. [​IMG]

PS- I hear Kings of Leon sounds good on vinyl if your wanting a band from todays scene. [​IMG] :

8. David_Stein

David_Stein Second Unit

basically every label that isnt a major still puts out vinyl on a regular basis.

an interesting story: a few years ago i bought a 7" from a small band for a couple dollars. i just wanted to throw a couple dollars their way through merch sales, but it ended up being their self financed first recording. this summer i sold it on ebay for about $230. it paid for my pronto remote and dvd player.

9. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Hehe, well im not gonna dive head first into vinyl, ill slowly move my way back into time, starting with music now, then move back into past decades [​IMG].
    Kinda ease my way into it from stuff i know I enjoy, then find other kinds of music as I get more into it hehe.

10. Craig: Mclaren

Good man Nick. Once you do i'm sure many of the HTF crew would be willing to recommend albums for your listening pleasure. [​IMG]

11. David_Stein

David_Stein Second Unit

well i think you were paying a bit much for vinyl. it shouldnt be much more than the cd, if at all. so just be careful for that in the future. of course i suppose it might be like that since you bought major label vinyl.

12. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Yeah, Im sure i paid a bit much for it, but I've been casually looking around for them in big chain stores, and they never had any. The fact they actually HAD it, and that I had a gift card led me to get it.

Im definitely going sometime in the future to the small mom&pop record stores they have in downtown vancouver and check things out...

13. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

I suspect that the record was so expensive due to it probably being a UK import. Radiohead vinyl always seems to be a bit on the high side. I think I paid around $22 American for OK Computer and $26 for The Bends.

I recently purchased both of Ryan Adams' new releases on vinyl. Rock N Roll is a wonderful 180-gram release, which I didn't expect at all. The Love is Hell double 10-incher is just a joy to listen to. It sounds so much more natural and lifelike than the CD.

14. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Congrat's Nick! I wouldn't begin to tell you what you should listen to on vinyl, but there's some great, lost music from the past that's only available on vinyl. I love used record stores....the treasure hunt factor is exciting.[​IMG]

15. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    Nah, if you're going to break into vinyl do it with Miles Davis' 'Birth of the Cool' or Dave Brubeck's 'Take 5'. Turn down the lights, break out a stogie and melt into the moment.

Nonetheless, welcome to the world of vinyl Nick. You should check out stores like Zulu (I think they still have vinyl) and Scratch. A&B Sound has also started to carry vinyl again.

16. Andrew O'Brien

Andrew O'Brien Stunt Coordinator

I agree with the comment about earlier Radiohead. For interesting vinyl, try Tubular Bells (orginal 1973 release) by Mike Oldfield maybe The Clash "Sandadista" too.

Andy.

17. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Earlier today I popped in a couple of my Dad's records...
    Dire Straits' Brother in Arms, and The Beatles' Abbey Road (a japanese pressing). Abbey road was awesome, way better than the CD (from what I can remember). Sweet stuff...

18. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    I bought my first vinyl LP in 1963....

Whippersnapper!

19. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

And don't keep 'em next to your furnace.[​IMG]

20. Carl Miller

Carl Miller Screenwriter

Man, I love vinyl! The sound, the covers and liner notes I can actually read without my glasses.

...And stand em' up straight[​IMG]