Bought Hit 43UWX10B with a Sears Price Match -10% and should I take the ext warranty.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by davepr, Nov 3, 2001.

1. davepr

davepr Stunt Coordinator

Just bought the Hitachi 43UWX10B for 1812.47 including delivery and the 6.5% NC tax. They priced matched 1844.00 off the net and took off another 10% for price of 1704.60. I was pleasantly surprised. Sears had a 10% off everything sale including sale prices. The salesman also gave be an extra 10% off the matching stand so I paid 162 + tax.
    I chose the Hitachi for space reasons. I know, strange decision factor. There is room in the stand for a number of components. I wanted to buy from Sears as they are focused on customer sat and will easily take back or exchange the set if I am not satisfied.
    By the way, Sears now sells the Platinum Mits line. There the only store or chain I know where you can see Sony, Mits, Tosh, Panasonic and Hitatchi all in one place.
    Sears offers a 3 year extended warranty for $299.. Normally I stay completely away from them. Direct view TV's tend to fail in the first few month or they don't for years... Any opinions? I did not sign up but can before delivery.
    Dave

2. Scott Basham

Scott Basham Stunt Coordinator

We are in the same boat. I just got the same thing from Sears for around $1660 + tax. They price matched SpeakerHut.com for me, no questions asked. I too bought the stand for 10% off. I ended up with the whole deal- tv, stand and tax for less than $1950. I walked out of the store without the 3 year maintenance plan, but got to thinking more and more about it.
    More times than not (I know, I am the exception), I come out ahead with a warranty. For example, I'm looking at what is about the 7th Trinitron picture tube computer monitor that Dell has sent to me. I've got lots of other examples as well.
    Also, the Sears plan includes them coming out 1 time per year and cleaning mirrors, adjusting the picture and so forth. I found it very hard to believe, but they said they would even warranty it against picture burn if it happened. I told the salesman that I found that hard to believe and that's why at first I didn't take it.
    After I got home, I called Sears customer info and the lady said that unless you broke the TV in an accident, everything was covered and that there was no mentioned exclusion for picture burn in. On top of that, you can take out the service plan and if it's not to your satisfaction, you can cash it back in for a full refund up to a certain time and then a pro-rated amount after that.
    I've just noticed that some people are having problems with this unit kicking off during normal viewing, sometimes several times per hour. This alone might make the warranty/service plan more attractive. If you buy it tonight, you'll get if for 10% off as well with no tax on it.
    Let me know what you decide.

3. davepr

davepr Stunt Coordinator

Scott, It was a price match against Speaker Hut.. also.. price at Speaker Hut was 1844.00. 1844 -10% was 1704.60.. they added 45 delivery and 107.87 tax.. Total was 1812.47. Then add 172.52 for stand inlcuding tax...
    Anyway, I did not see your note until tonight so, if I take the warranty I will have to pay the 299. As I said, my experience is that I have been way ahead not paying for extended warranties.
    Do you know what the standard warranty is?
    Dave